NSR: Current Events thread

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by NotreDameFlamengo, Nov 17, 2012.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I struggle with that as well. Unfortunately the world is not rosy. It never was and it never will be. I think the US has gotten a really bad rap not only because of some of it's international policy, but also because it does it hiding behind the pretext of trying to be good or free people around the world against tyranny when it reality most of it is self serving. The whole spying thing is stupid because every country knows every other country does it. The problem is when that information becomes public, Governments have to show some reaction to show their constituents they are appalled and play that political theater.

What's scary is how far Trump is going with his campaign. Shows you how bad politicians have become in the eyes of the general public.

2. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I know this is a pretty old post, but I'll reply.

What you say, NotreDameFlamengo, is true. I recently saw several Youtube videos of Brazilians beating up would-be criminals. I too support this wholeheartedly. Mind you, I'm not necessarily an advocate of vigilante justice, but given the impunity Brazil still has, this is more than necessary. And, I fully agree with you on how rarely they are caught and on how weak the penal system is.

3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Lawsonishere, although you were addressing NotreDameFlamengo, I'd love to share my views on the refugee crisis with you and the rest of the Brazil board posters, if you and the others are open to it.

4. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Plz do, I want to hear opinions on it

5. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #55 Emperor Adriano, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    I hear the upper middle class kids and rich kids in rio complaining about this vigilante justice which I find sickening. Considering they don't have to deal with much violence and if they get robbed mommy and daddy will just replace whatever was taken. At least in America if someone goes to rob you they know they might die. I almost feel like Brazilians don't mind being robbed, for me that is the ultimant loss of pride.
    its a little scary seeing how far trump has come but you already have the reason the other candidates are pathetic. The last month he has been taking his campaign more serious which I wish he would have done from the beggining. The way he started it with his comments about Mexicans was fked up. He controls the media and nothing sticks to him , he could send a dick pick and it wouldn't matter because he is actually honest. I think people were sick of hearing how Hilary would be the next president or Jeb bush.... Nothing is worse than a political and family dynasty, it gets old. The way trump is using Instagram , Twitter , and the media is genius. He is the lead story on cnn every night.

6. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    @lawsonishere

Extremely complicated. I can write for 4 hours about this. Essentially I really have no confident opinion on the EU refugee/immigration status, although I consider myself well informed on the subject. It all depends on the accepting country in question and type of refugee.

I'll try to organize some jumbled thoughts on this later.

7. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    They're sheltered.

8. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    In a nutshell, military interventions in countries like Iraq, Syria, Libya, Afghanistan, etc., have caused this. One cannot possibly expect that large-scale wars like the invasion of Iraq in 2003 will not create humanitarian crises. Iraq, for example, is a country of about 25 million people. Following the 2003 invasion, 4 million people were displaced - 16% of the population. That would be 33 million of the population of Brazil rendered homeless and fleeing from conflict, and 53 million of the US population.

The wars we've seen in Libya and Syria weren't popular uprisings against dictators. They were civil wars in which outsider (read: western) participants provided weaponry and support to local rebels; the local rebels were often reinforced by fighters form nearby countries (many of whom had ideological sympathies with groups like Al-Qaeda). Wars in small countries like these are not going to be restricted to areas with few or no civilians. And a major, if not the only, reason Syria has held on whereas Libya fell is that Russia is a major Syrian ally. Russian backing has largely kept Syria from being invaded/attacked directly by western militaries. Libya was small and needed no direct intervention, and no major power cared enough to back Libya.

The political leaders in the west who talk about human rights, freedom, and democracy should ask themselves what, if anything, their governments did when those wars started. I don't mean to defend Saddam Hussein, of course; but, as bad a guy as he was, Iraq under him wasn't a nation of concentration camps. People worked, studied, married, had kids, opened and managed businesses, etc. Even Christians (!) existed there and were left alone. All of that went to hell after the war which took him down started. Islamist radicals who weren't there arrived to fight Americans, and they brought extreme interpretations of the Koran. I mean, Iraqi teenage girls wore jeans under Saddam!... try doing that now. And as for those Iraqi Christians, Islamic State has killed many, raped many others, forced some to flee, and forced others to convert to Islam.

So much for western interventionism.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I keep waiting for him to say "just fukin with you guys ... I ain't running !" :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, nothing seems to stick on him. He says whatever he wants and it doesn't seem to hurt his numbers (however accurate they are).

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    When you look at this it's all a struggle between Sunni and Shia but also proxy wars between US/Western Europe, Russia, Saudi Arabia, China. The US messed this up by giving support to rebels to overthrow Asad. Now ISIS and other extremist groups have taken over the "civil" war and turned it into a war to create a strict Islamic state in Iraq and Syria. At the same time, Saudi Arabia and Qatar, who are ironically US allies which makes this really fuked up, provide support and money to ISIS and these other groups because they have a major interest in having a Sunni state created to oppress their enemies the Shia. Russia as you mentioned supports the Syrian Government because of economic ties (and so does China). This explains why the US is surprisingly creating ties with Iran, who was not so long ago labelled a part of the "Axis of Evil" (thanks Bush). Iran, being the strongest Shia country, obviously doesn't want a strict Sunni state in Iraq and Syria and would welcome American help. The US realizes the mess this has become and an allegiance with Iran could be crucial in fighting this Sunni influence off.

In Iraq what created this whole thing is that the Sunnis are not happy with the Shia Government which has been oppressing them. Therefore many have supported ISIS because they see it as a way to get back to power. Iraq ideally should be divided in 2 to separate the Sunni and Shia. Then again, they'd probably be fighting each other regardless of borders. And that's why this region needs strong dictators.

NotreDameFlamengo repped this.
  11. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro

So the big question is if its worth it to stick our nose in over there? And if we don't, do we risk letting shit grow to the point that could potentially cause a lot more deaths and chaos than if we did try to influence.

Its all about whether you believe that powerful nations have a responsibility to enforce or influence. I realize that we we made major major mistakes in the past. But based on those mistakes do we not step in to counter out of control extremism or Russian grossly self serving interests? I have no answer to this.

12. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think the world will honestly end because of these latest situations. When all the refugees come to Europe what jobs will they take? When they come to the inner city's here sure they will get jobs but that doesn't change the fact that our inner city's are completely destroyed, I honestly feel bad for the poor people and lower middle class everywhere, they are all fuked in Europe pretty much. Thank god I got my bachelors degree so i'm out of this predicament. Look at a city like Philadelphia, people selling drugs hand to hand right in front of where the old factories used to be lol. When you get off the subway in North Philly they lead you to what kind of drugs you want to buy , and we have room for refugees? People have already made predictions before this crisis that Germany's economy will go into a Japan like stagnation, I can see it. The Middle East has no respect for human life and dignity, the gulf countries reactions just summarize it in terms of these refugees. We have an over population problem that is made worse because of the Middle East being unlivable. Let's not get started on Africa. 51% of people in this world live on under a 1$ a day. Than you have "refugees" being picky where they go in europe haha. Little do they know quite a few of the refugees germany takes in will end up in the USA, they dumped about 10,000 serbs and Bosnians here and put them in a black neighborhood here, smart stuff... The Arab Spring was such a lie, Egypt got a far worse and harsh government after they protested.

13. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Most of these refugees and economic migrants have a lot of false information that leads them to make the decision to go. A lot think that they will automatically receive housing, education, and guaranteed work in certain countries. But they have no idea what the reality is. England had good refugee policies for years. What did that attract recently? No good deed goes unpunished. Hundreds of thousands of economic migrants are bypassing the entire length of Europe under false notions of how they will be treated if they sneak into England. Based on a dozen recent documentaries I've seen, they show a lot of migrants with a shocking sense of entitlement. These people have no chance and will be a drain. Is it fair that successful countries should always be held responsible for every ********ed up one in the world? I don't have the answer. I agree that they should help, but in what ways and how much?

And then there is Germany and Sweden who are doing a good thing as they need the workers, so its a mutually beneficial relationship for everybody. But this is only up to a certain point, as no good deed goes unpunished. Accepting a lot of refugees and migrants the right way opens Pandora's box and more and more people will continue to try to enter. Which means the more and more people start coming that want to cheat the system and will become nothing but problems.

Then there is the huge culture barrier debate. Comparing it with US immigration, the US's immigration mainly came from similar cultures based on Western European or with heavy influences from there. even recently in the US, 2nd generation Latin Americans assimilate in America, 3rd generation assimilate completely. Will 2nd and 3rd generation Syrians, Iraqis, and Somalis assimilate in Finland, Hungary, Sweden/etc? I honestly don't think so. Its not working in France or anywhere else in europe. I would love to be one of those people that thinks the EU should accept everyone and everything will be great. But I'm not naive and understand the sad facts of human nature. There will be problems in the future with them adapting and with the resident population adapting to them. The human race should have already evolved enough not to create barriers and divides, but unfortunately we still act like animals in that regard.

Again I have no strong opinions one way or the other. I'm just thinking out loud.

14. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This is exactly what I have been saying to a lot of people. Maybe I am a pessimist but I'm not seeing the Muslim immigrants necessarily enjoying life in England with all the benefits. I watch Al Jazera america for news and even they run stories how Muslims just aren't adapting in England, Luton is a great case, don't get me started on France. I didn't know Germany needed workers that much but like I said i'm worried about the next big economic recession. I'm skeptical the German citizens want them and that the economy needs unskilled workers but i'll check on that. Even without recession people are going to keep losing their jobs to technology and Southeast Asia. Humans are animals, I think the sooner people accept that the sooner this world can become a better place. With Muslim immigrants they have to understand when you join a new country it is like a marriage, you don't dictate everything, if you don't want to change your lifestyle stay unmarried. I'm all for immigration and I honestly don't care if a Hispanic never speaks a lick of English, I at least know we have a lot in common but how much do I have in common with a strict Muslim who believes in Sharia law? I'm not religious at all and I just want some people to live there life's with a little common sense. I have tolerance but do they have tolerance towards my lifestyle? Sure there are crazy evangelicals in this country and Brazil but are they going to kill their daughter for having sex? I read Syrians were moderate but I've been hearing the term moderate Muslims for 5 years and that they are our allies.. I've only seen more violence and insanity in that region. I also can't trust a media that only shows woman and children migrating yet every time they show a pan shot it is 80% males... Than I see Turkey taking stances trying to be more powerful and I have my popcorn just waiting for this to play out. For the past 10 years I heard Turkey is an ally and moderate, fk that, that country is crazy.

15. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Anyone know anything about Eastern Carolina? I know it's impoverished but how bad? I don't have a details on which city or small town i'd be transferred to, the program just says Eastern North Carolina. Bertie County was mentioned along with a few other counties.

16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Only time I've spent there is driving through to go to Myrtle Beach. I stopped at Rocky Mount for a short while, but it just looked like your typical small, southern town to me. I'm sure @celito or @NotreDameFlamengo can chime in.

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sorry ... not too familiar with cities in the eastern side of state except for Wilmington. I am more familiar with Charlotte and Raleigh and to a lesser extent Greensboro. Your opinion might also depend on your point of reference (where you grew up or where you're coming from).

18. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Wilmington is great. The rest will be similar to any southern small town, but think more deep south than small town redneck NY, NJ, PA. My wife use to travel around NC for work, and I've been to a lot of the smaller towns in Eastern NC from Raleigh to Wilmington. If you find out the town, I'd be able to give you a little more info. I'm not to familiar with the northern part of Eastern Carolina (Bertie County).

But, like Celito said it all depends on your point of reference. I wouldn't want to give my opinions to influence a decision.

Emperor Adriano repped this.
  19. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I will write this in Portuguese; for non-Portuguese speakers, I'll write a summarized English version if you'd like.

Radicado na Europa desde 1999, o lateral esquerdo brasileiro Leandro de Almeida, 33, divide os dias entre os treinos e partidas do Ferencváros (HUN) e a busca por informações sobre a situação dos refugiados de guerra que têm entrado na Europa.

Naturalizado húngaro há 11 anos e titular da seleção local, o jogador, que passou pelas categorias de base do Corinthians, reconhece que as restrições impostas ao trânsito dos imigrantes são negativas para a imagem da Hungria. No entanto, dá a entender que elas são necessárias devido à falta de estrutura do país.

"O problema é que eles estão entrando ilegalmente no país. A Hungria não está preparada para receber esse pessoal todo... muitos húngaros têm medo do que está acontecendo. O inverno está chegando e ninguém sabe o que fazer com os refugiados. Onde eles vão ficar, o que vão comer?", questiona Leandro.

Pode bem ser que muitos dos brasileiros deste foro não concordem com o que vou escrever aqui, mas serei franco e honesto.

Este jogador brasileiro está por dentro do que acontece na Hungria. Assim como nós brasileiros que moramos nos EUA durante muito tempo (ainda mais aqueles de nós que se encontram aqui em situação legal) temos uma idéia sobre o que acham os gringos de tantos imigrantes que hoje vivem nos EUA.

Por minha parte, eu não acho nada errado que tenha húngaros preocupados com essa massa de refugiados. Na cara dura, a Hungria é dos húngaros. O país é deles. A Hungria não é uma Alemanha, um Canadá, uma Suíça. Não é um país de Primeiro Mundo, altíssimamente desenvolvido. Quando nossos amigos lá no Brasil pensam em “Primeiro Mundo,” quantos deles pensam na palavra “Hungria?”

Se formos pensar no Brasil, se fosse o caso do nosso País, reconheceremos que o Brasil é um país cuja população é muitíssimo diversa. Mas isso não impede que haja uma “cultura brasileira,” uma “identidade cultural brasileira,” por mais que o baiano seja diferente do mineiro, que o gaúcho do interior do Rio Grande do Sul seja diferente de um amazonense ou um nativo de Tocantins.

Na minha cidade natal de São Paulo, existem várias colônias de imigrantes. Italianos, judaicos, árabes, japoneses (e tem muito descendente de japonês no estado de SP), coreanos, etc. Hoje em dia as 2 colônias que mais crescem são os bolivianos e os chineses. Agora, tendo conversado com vários amigos e parentes que viveram a vida inteira no Brasil, posso dizer que muitos deles não querem que o Brasil seja invadido por exércitos de gringos como tem acontecido na Hungria e na Alemanha. Ou será que o paulistano de classe media iria gostar de ver distritos totalmente bolivianizados aonde o paulistano se sentiria estrangeiro? Isso seria igual em Curitiba, Porto Alegre, Salvador, Vitória (do Espírito Santo também), Belém, etc.

Pode ser que em cidades brasileiras, esses bolivianos ou chineses sentirão menos ressentimento do que em lugares na Europa ou na América do Norte. Mas eu mesmo testemunhei no Brasil discussões pouco amigáveis entre estrangeiros (já radicados no Brasil faz tempo) e brasileiros “nativos.” Ouvi frequentemente: “calaboca que aqui é o nosso país!/Vocês acham que estão em ______ mas estão no Brasil!”

Se o brasileiro – nativo de um país famoso por seu calor humano, hospitalidade, e espírito humilde e acolhedor – é capaz de dizer isso, por que o italiano, o espanhol, o húngaro, o alemão, o canadense, ou o norte-americano não pode?

Certamente, o que estamos testemunhando no Oriente Médio é uma tragédia, mas a maioria dessa gente fugiu de casa porque suas cidades se tornaram em campos de guerra. Há 10 anos, não era assim (no Iraque, antes de 2003). Por que decidiram fugir? Lógico que cada pessoa tem o direito de viver em paz. É dificílimo ter um argumento contra essas pessoas se formos debater a partir de um ponto de vista humanitário.

Mas é realmente justo impor a obrigação fiscal e social sobre pessoas trabalhadoras que já pagam e pagaram muitos impostos e já têm várias obrigações (a educação dos filhos, o sustento da família, etc)? E desde quando que uma nação independente não tem o direito de decider quem entra e quem não entra no seu território? Porque sem este poder e direito, não há soberania, e o Brasil, afinal, é um país soberano com o direito legal de estabeceler suas leis.

Não é nada mais do que politico-corretismo “ter” que aceitar todo mundo a qualquer hora. Porque se uma multidão imensa de sírios, ou turcos, ou mexicanos, ou nigerianos, ou vietnamitas chegasse no Brasil de uma vez, um monte de gente iria reclamar. E olha lá.

20. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pretty much agree but the biggest immigration problem for Brazil is Haitians IMO. Brazil needs more skilled people, there are plenty of people already for the workhorse jobs because of the shiity educational system there. Random rant but I love how rich Brazilians get to go back to college after getting a 4 year degree for free. Sure they can pass the test to get it for free but you essentially need a private school high school education to even qualify for the public colleges. Just out of curiousity who would century vote for in the USA 2016 president race?

21. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Is North Carolina as good as people say it is? Very general question but is it better than pa ? I'm looking to move down south in the next 2 years due to the ny weather just becoming to much for me and for a better job.

22. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    From an outsider's point of view being lodged between both states (I lived in VA for some time), NC is probably better than PA, especially the "research triangle" area. And the housing is considerably cheaper down there compared to the DMV. If I was approached with the right opportunity, I'd consider living in NC. PA? Not so much.

23. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I crossed Virginia off my list since I wouldn't be able to get a teachers license but it was in my original consideration. Where in va? I'm curious about Maryland too, although my job oppurtunities may be limited to Baltimore, but I'm still looking into it. I don't mind living in a small town I just can't do a big city like NYC , having lived there it's just too much for me. I may be able to live in a place like dc. I'm also seriously considering Florida. How's winter in Maryland ?

24. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Norfolk, VA. 20 minutes from the NC border.

If you can find a place in the Bmore suburbs, you'd be good. Bmore itself kinda sucks except for the inner harbor area. DC has some good areas and bad areas, but it's pricey.

The winters are mild compared to what you're used to. If we get two inches of snow, everything shuts down lol. The last two winters have been "rough" by our standards. The worst part about living here is the traffic; it's the worst in the nation in terms of congestion -- even worse than LA.

I've thought about Florida too, but there's a whole set of different factors that come into play. I'm not sure the weather appeal is all it's made out to be. You'll be exposed to another obnoxious fan base. At least Panthers fans are tame.

Emperor Adriano repped this.
  25. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I'm not voting Democrat - that's for sure. From the Republican Party, the only guys I might consider are Ted Cruz or Rand Paul. If it's Carly Fiorina, Donald Trump, Chris Christie, etc., I'm voting 3rd party.

Ben Carson seems like a very decent human being, but I'm not sold on him.