Current best starting Xl?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by USAMEX10, Sep 4, 2014.

1. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I thought he fit like a glove in the squad

2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its probably cause I associate it with criminal charges. To acquit oneself you're proving you didn't do something wrong. For a player to show his quality it's not about showing he didn't do something wrong but more that he did something right. For me they don't need to show that they are not of the level but that they are of the level. It's a way of thinking I guess. You prove you can do something not that you can't. I suppose you can call me glass half full.

3. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you need an empathetic attorney, I believe we have several amongst the BS community. @onefineesq?

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know you're right. He just plays. He even plays well but kind of emotionless. So for me Brooks needs Cameron or Hedges. Hopefully Brooks starts taking control so he can be a leader and organizer so younger players can be opposite him.

5. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    CCV probably has the best organizer qualities out of the young bunch. He may be ideal alongside Brooks.

6. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Im not surprised. But to obsess on a player like Zusi? Out of position! Bruce isnt stupid. Or maybe his talent evaluation is far less superior than I had previously given him credit for.

7. Techsan111

Techsan111 Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Crazy how much hate Chandler gets. He should make any best 23 man roster with a good chance to start

schlomo repped this.
  8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Why? We don't play a 3 cb defense with Chadler as WB. Chandler's best attribute is stepping up between the halfwayline and the attacking end. He doesn't defend well at all and would be picked on immediately if we played him against quality opponents. Without 3 cb's to back him up he would be in the defending end screwing up.

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody not placing Cameron as the 6, his best spot, where he's playing consistently in the Premier League and an asset, when he helps as protect the cb pairing pairing, which can be strong without him, and the experienced cm can't; put a BIG FAT X through your lineup. It's a major mistake.

6 ft. Leprechaun repped this.
  10. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

Eh, you can put him there, but just like the incumbent, he's going to need help...

11. M. Abraham Braun

M. Abraham Braun New Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Apr 15, 2017
    Agree that Arena would do well to use Cameron like he's deployed at Stoke. Chandler seems
    to have been shifted to midfield as well by his German club, but I don't know exactly where he plays.
    Just as Arena envisaged Johnson at left mid before his injury, it would be better to keep players at the same position as they play for their clubs.

12. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You put B2B players in front of him and he'll be just fine.

13. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, against better opposition he's pretty much going to need somebody next to him, again, much like the incumbent...

14. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While he's not a top tier DM, he's much better defensively than Bradley.

15. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not "much" better. And of course he comes with some glaring weaknesses at that position that will drive folks who bitc# about MB crazy...

16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, he's much more positionally disciplined than Bradley, more mobile, and an actual ball-winner. Half the time with Stoke he's played with guys like Allen and Adam in front of him. The other half it's been Whelan or just in this last game it was Muniesa. He plays a pretty true 6 all the way up to an 8. He's versatile within cm like he is along the defense or in general. It just keeps being proven his best spot, like he said it was and we've seen over the years when he's played there. But keep sticking to your original opinion because that's what you originally thought and that's all that matters.

17. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Geoff is by far the best DM out of our current group. Bradley is not even close. Give Geoff an offensive minded and he will do a fine job. He probably won't be what got you beat if you don't win.

18. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to take anything you say seriously when you clearly haven't been watching (or at least lack an understanding of what you are watching)...

When you're on the opposite side of an argument from these two posters, you're usually in a pretty good place...

In all seriousness, I'm not opposed to running Geoff out in CM, but the notion that he's a big upgrade or doesn't come with his own serious weaknesses is just ridiculous.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I haven't seen Geoff play for club this year. How about playing him in a 3cb line instead of the 6?

Previously we've lacked wb's but there appear to be candidates in the pool now.

Pulisic looked good at rf in a 343 with Durm at wb and Piscek at rcb which his club played in CL.

Somebody said Arena actually used to coach a 3 cb back line.

The problem with Cameron at 6 for me is lack of passing ability. HIs club may be able to accommodate it on a week to week basis after having all summer to make plans against league opponents but I don't think we could at the international level.

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Or you could say Cameron and Hedges.

21. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    To be clear, I wasn't saying he was a poor man's Weigl or anything of that sort. His weaknesses are easy to mask, whereas Bradley's weaknesses have gotten us beat fairly regularly since the WC. At his club he is used to mask the weaknesses of others, I think a PL manager knows more about the position than internet keyboard warriors. He also plays at a signiificantly higher level than MB.

Geoff now plays the spot for a midtable PL club, and it has long been his best spot. Passing is not his best attribute but his weaknesses are over played as I have seldom seen him commit poor touches or turnovers in midfield that lead to goals, yet it has become a meme with MB as DM. I have seen Geoff switch off at CB, but he seems more engaged playing as CDM and does not switch off nearly as much.

22. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you did suggest he would be a big upgrade over MB in midfield, which is just silly.

o_O

23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would much rather he be in midfield to use his range to thwart counters before they reach our final third, start our own counter with his positive short passing and evasive actions off the dribble, and occasionally break into the attack with a marauding run off the dribble.

Geoff's passing is actually solid until you ask him to swing his foot through the ball. Stoke looks to him plenty as a safety valve. That speaks to his coolness on the ball, dribbling, and decision-making, which Bradley doesn't possess right now. Just don't ask him to play too many long balls. But that's aggravated by playing in Stoke. You aren't going to find many windier places than that. For the national team, he actually played some wicked ones in his limited time at cm. He played a deft pass over the top to EJ for an assist in the WC qualifier against Panama. And the last time I recall him having a really bad turnover which could have realistically led to a goal was quite a while ago. Bradley is good for a few per game.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  24. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So you are saying Bradley has been good for us since the WC? I think outside of couple of three games he has been one wankfest after another. I used to think he was our most important player but his form has had me thinking he has been a big liability.

Oh and if you are going to quote me, please don't purposefully misrepresent what I said like you did in your second quote.

25. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    It's 2017, we need YouTube proof of Chandlers "terrible games."