Curious 2010 draw oddities

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by Gibraldo, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    First, on a note this is the first WC since 1990 which has not one single revanche group match of the predecessing world cup.

group group
    England-Sweden 2006 2002
    Spain-Paraguay 2002 1998
    Nigeria-Bulgaria 1998 1994
    Russia-Cameroon 1994 1990

And to bring it to a climax, if you do not only compare the group matches, but the new group matches with all matches of the predecessing world cup the list continues

wc group
    Belgium-Spain 1986 1990
    Italy-Argentina 1982 1986
    Germany-Austria 1978 1982
    Argentina-Italy 1974 1978
    Uruguay-Sweden 1970 1974

So, it is the first time since 1970, that not a single match in the group stage had the same contenders of a match, that took place 4 years ago!! This is extraordinary, if you consider, that then there were 16 teams but now, there are 32 with a duplication of matches from 24 to 48.

Btw. did anyone notice that England 1966 and South Africa 2010, both as hosts have exactly the same group?! Mexico, Uruguay, France!! :eek:

2. Seymour_Gunner

Nov 23, 2007
    Seymour CT USA
    So does this means England will win the world cup, (yes I know South Africa is taking England's place).

Few other similarities with 1966. Portugal and Brazil in the same group;
    N. Korea in the WC;

So S. Africa will win the world cup; Portugal will rough up Brazil; N. Korean leader
    will threaten the world and demand his team be put in a different group, their place will be switched with New Zealand and they will pull a big upset over Italy.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It has been a brutal draw for the African teams: Cote d'Ivoire got in the same group with Portugal and Brazil; South Africa got the strongest group ever given to a home country; Ghana got Germany and Serbia, the third strongest Pot 4 team.

I only see Cameroon advancing from CAF at this point.

4. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I think Ghana has a very good chance. Serbia is very formidable, but I'm not sure I don't rate Ghana just as good.

Cote d'Ivoire should fancy their chances. Queiros' negative 1-0 tactics will not wash with attacking teams like Cd'I and Brazil - I think the Portuguese have the most to lose in Group G, despite their obvious talent.

5. holgers_heroes

Jul 25, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    That depends on how you view South Korea's group in 2002 (Portugal, Poland, USA). Despite being a seed, they drew one of the two teams no seed wanted, Portugal (the other being England). With their golden generation of Figo, Rui Costa, Pauleta and Gomes all in their prime, they were arguably stronger then than France is now. Poland had Olisadebe on attack and Dudek in goal, and USA made the quarters that year.

Like South Africa today, South Korea didn't exactly have the strongest team in 2001. But they had an amazing coach, and the national team had 5 months (is this a record?) prior to WC2002 to train together and play friendlies against the world's strongest sides. The national team was given top priority over the domestic league for the first half of 2002. They were incredibly prepared for teams like Portugal and Italy.

I don't know how feasible this is in South Africa (to have the entire national team train together starting from about now), but I guess that would be one way to prepare lol.

6. oc2004

oc2004 Member

Dec 6, 2009

I have read similar post in BigSoccer as this claiming that "South Africa got the strongest group ever given to a home country."

People may bee too young to remember their World Cup history...
    1966 England
    Uruguay
    France
    Mexico
    Agree that South Africa got stronger oponents as France and Mexico are probably stronger than in 1966.

1962 Chile
    Germany
    Italy
    Switzerland
    Germany and Italy had won 1/2 of World cups to date and Switzerland had eliminated Sweden, the finalist in the previous world cup.

1954 Switzerland
    England
    Italy
    Belgium
    Because every team played only 2 games initially, the Swiss had to only play England and Italy, and then had to had an additional play-off against Italy as each had 2 points.

As you can see at least Switzerland in 1954 and Chile in 1962 had to play much stronger opponents in their groups.

OC

7. USSEK

USSEK New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    I think, it´s the first time, two brothers could play against in the FIFA World Cup:

Kevin Boateng (Ghana) & Jerome Boateng (Germany) !

The Boatengs have a German mother and a Ghanaian father. Theire uncle is a former Ghana international and the grandfather is a cousin of legendary German star Helmut Rahn, scorer of the winning goal in the 1954 FIFA World Cup.

Kevin has played several times for the German Under-16, Under-19 and Under-21 national teams. 2009 he announced, due to the lack of future chances to earn a call up for his home country, that he will play for the Black Stars in the future and that he hopes to be part of the Ghana National team squad at the 2010 FIFA World Cup. He is yet to win any caps for the Black Stars

Jerome is also former Germany U-21 and won with the team the 2009 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship. He played his debut with the Germany national football team on 10 October 2009 against Russia

1 person likes this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The modern World Cup Finals, with 32 teams.

Back in 1954 you had only 16 teams, all four groups were very tough because it was only the elite of football playing. Brazil, Yugoslavia, France and Mexico were in another group. And West Germany, the legendary Hungary of Puskas, and a very strong Turkish team were in another.

Same in 1962: 16 teams in 4 groups. One of those groups had Mexico, Spain, Brazil and the Czech. Another had Argentina, England and a fantastic Hungarian team that won the group.

Basically, groups were tougher when you only had 16 teams playing. And that included the host's group.

So let me correct: South Africa has got the toughest group of any host in modern times, that is, since the tournament was expanded to 32 teams (1998).

9. oc2004

oc2004 Member

Dec 6, 2009

OK
    I'll agree to that lenghty 12 years of history. But even in that case it isn't 100% clear...
    S. Korea 2002
    Portugal
    Poland
    USA

That Portuguese team (prior to the WC) was higher rated than France is now with quality players like Figo and R. Costa. USA was also higher rated than Mexico is now... Poland had won their qualy group... So even if you say that they Uruguay may be a little better than Poland, S. Korea's 2002 group was comparable to South Africa's 2010.

10. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    With Mexico definitely being the minnow in both of these groups. Mexico had a 0-1-10 record going into 1962 (first draw in 58 vs Wales), and a 1-1-12 going into 1966.

11. Telaranrhiod

Telaranrhiod New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Boston, MA USA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree on Ghana - can't wait to see them tussle with Germany. Hopefully a few African teams will squeeze in to keep up the local interest and popularity. Plus I want everyone happy, which can only keep me safer :D

My heart will always cheer for Nigeria too - loved them when they were battling here in the USA. Probably too much to hope for in 2010, but hey - the slate's clean on day one! Anything can happen, right?