Curbishley resigns

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by English_Gent, Apr 29, 2006.

1. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wise decision, should be able to get a good job in the summer or during next season. He's taken them as far as he can, going by what has happened to other teams like this, I would not be surprised to see Charlton get relegated either next season or the season after.

2. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has to be Villa. Newcastle look like they will keep Roeder. Villa want O'Leary out and maybe Ellis too.

However, I dunno how Villa will pay for him with Ellis telling O'Leary that players have to be sold just to buy new ones.

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Guardian said Charlton are eyeing Coppell, who has yet to sign (though he has said he will). This would be a disaster for Reading

4. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    His comments to date don't indicate that he intends to walk straight into another job for next season. He appears to be wanting some time off, basically. As to the Villa job, stranger things have happened, but I can't see him taking on another job with those sorts of financial restrictions. He might as well have stayed at Charlton. Until Ellis sells up and ships out, no major manager who's serious about their place in the game is going to take on that shower of shite.

5. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    What always struck me aqbout Curbs is that as a manager he doesn't seem to have that 'edge' to him that you see in the likes of Ferguson, Mourinho, Allardyce, Redknapp etc. He doesn't necessarily have a 'niche' (e.g. HArry being the 'wheeler dealer' who saves clubs) and under him Charlton were not too consistent, always faultering as the season went on.

This, of course, is not to say he is a bad manager - one the contrary, he is quality. It's just that he always came across to me as somebody who steadily builds up his teams over time and builds them as a 'team' rather than a group of individuals playing together. If a club with a good deal of spending power who have been unstable for the last few years come looking for him (say Villa next, only if Ellis leaves) and are willing to give him a good 3 years to build up the right team, it could be a very bright move.