Cuper?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by comme, Oct 21, 2003.

1. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Some reports are coming out of Italy linking former Valencia and Inter boss Hector Cuper with the job.
    How realistic this is I don't know, but there are plenty of worse candidates.

2. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Definitely not a bad coach, but I don't think he's the answer for Spurs. We need an English as a first language guy for both the club and managing the press. Pleat actually made a very shrewd point of the fact that at Spurs, handling PR is a major duty.

At this point in time, Spurs have a huge following despite a long string of very mediocre results. That will not last forever, and Levy probably will not give the next manager as long to prove himself as he gave Hoddle. So, the next manager needs to win over the media while bringing results and growing the players.

-Digital

3. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Cuper's record is phenomenal, but I don't know if his defensive counter attacking tactics will work as well in the Premiership. But then they did crush A*senal when used by Inter Milan.

Ordinarily I would say a coach like that might be out of our league, but in honesty after being sacked by Inter I can't see a big club moving for him for a while, and staying in Italy or going back to Spain might not be as enticing as a fresh challenge in the Premiership. He's well worth tapping up, and certainly kicks the **** out of Souness.

I'm sure he'll get to the grips with the language quite quickly, certainly Claudio Ranieri managed it and we'll have the added advantage of David Pleat being on hand to help things out.

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder what Dalmat is saying about Cuper...

5. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Cuper wasn't liked at all by Valencia fans. He played boring football in their opinion. A (in)continental George Graham.

Looking at his record though, getting Valencia into two champions league finals, is very interesting.

Arsenal lost today in the CL. Hahaha!

They suck plumbs.

6. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i've always been a big fan of cuper's. i didn't see his inter sides much, but i saw alot of his valencia and mallorca sides - and i thought they played some very attractive, counterattacking football. admittedly it was founded on sound defense, and likely too negative for spurs fans. and cuper's a bit of an old-school no nonsense, hard-ass - not sure to mix well with spurs' quasi-primadonna squad. if they had troubles with hod, cuper may not be the best option.

cuper's first rate, and i suspect he'd get results at the lane. still, though, i don't see a cuper reign at tottenham as being tremendously harmonious.