Cunningham On Trial With Eintracht Frankfurt

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Nov 12, 2003.

1. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    i'd like to see jeff give it a go for a Brazilian or Argentine team. those guys are great dribblers and don't pass much, just like Cunningham.

2. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    I believe that was tried here. JC didn't want to be a middie.

3. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    so what's going on now?

4. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown

That is excellent. Anyone here know enough German to post the words and translate? If I move to Germany next summer, I'm torn between having Saarbrucken and Eintracht as my favorite team. Oh well.

5. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The guy from Belgium at Matchnight said the word is he would play a game with the Reserves Friday and that Saturday they would make their decision wheather he is good enough to stay with the Club or not. He said he'd let us know. If they don't pick him up, Saturday will be his last day training with CB.

6. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    The latest is a report from a Brugge fan in the forums where he indicates that the reserves tied 0-0. "Newcomer Cunningham was yesterday very weak and was substituted after 70 minutes. It seems that he won't get a contract offer."

Earlier the comment of someone who saw him train was: "Plays very selfish soccer, shoots high, shoots wide and scored a couple of his shots (in training)." Where have I heard that before? Just wondering.

7. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

Soccer style may differ around the world but it is still a team game. Good luck Jeff.....you're gonna need it.

8. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well the search continues. I remember reports that there were several Swedish sides interested in him. My guess is he'll go to a 1 division Swedish side and see what he can do there. Where ever he goes the trial needs to be longer then a week. Jeff is after all an aquiered taste.

Talking about Swedish teams reminded me of Lucci Gonzalez. The last I heard was he did pretty well for himself in the 2nd division there and has entertained some talks to go to the first division. Good for Lucci.

9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In an odd sort of way, you have to grudgingly respect Jeff in all this.

Despite continuing evidence to the contrary, and statements by coaches everywhere, he refuses to change the way he plays. The question does not ever seem to be whether he will fit into a particular coaches' scheme: he won't.

The only question is whether a given team has enough offensive skill players that they can afford some guy out there freelancing, not playing defense and foolishly taking on 3 or 4 or 5 players at a time.

He can't get a job anywhere, even at some pretty desperate clubs, but he stubbornly clings to his own method of play. Takes a mighty strong personality, IMO.

10. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    KInd of sad, IMO. As a charter member of the JC Bipolar fan club, I'd really like to see what he could do if he worked on the weaker phases of his game.

Would anyone else like to see what he could do as an attacking midfielder who could distribute and dribble to draw/beat defenders.

11. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS

12. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Cunningham is now in Denmark at Aarhus Gymnastik Forening (AGF), Wade Barret's team, according to a person on Matchnight. Although the guy said it didn't look good because their assistant coach doesn't think he's ready for 1st team football. Vegger also said in his opinion that Americans have talent but are lacking in the physical and technical sides of the game based on Wade Barret.

13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) It's pretty arrogant to generalize about "American players" based on Wade Barret or anybody else.

2) Besides the "physical" and "technical" sides of the game, I can't figure out what else there is. Apparently, the guy feels that American players just can't play.

3) Except for the fact that they filed a bunch of paperwork and got a passport, Jeff Cunningham is as "American" as Bob Marley. Or maybe Ziggy.

14. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    No offense to the guy whose comments myshap is passing along, but basing opinions of Americans on Wade Barrett is like Crew fans basing opinions of English players on Ian Woan and Mark Williams. Seeing one or two doesn't exactly give you a good idea.