Cunningham On Trial With Eintracht Frankfurt

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The German club is 16th in the 18-team German First Division, and with little money to splash on new players they have brought Cunningham with an eye on the winter transfer window. The team has only scored nine goals this season, and with young star Jermaine Jones set to miss a large chunk of the season after surgery Cunningham might have a chance to stick.

http://www.ussocceruk.com/news/?CatTypeId=2&ContentId=1058

2. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems hard to imagine that a guy who couldn't even crack the starting XI with Columbus in the MLS would somehow be able to make a difference in the Bundesliga. He had a stint with Leverkusen but they sent him right back. I'm surprised in their position they're not looking more at someone like Mathis...

3. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably some Teutonic nonsense about not bringing in fitness challenged, injury-ridden head cases with two surgically repaired knees.

Go figure.

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't catch much of the Crew this season. How did Cunningham play? I believe I heard some grumbling about him, but nothing definitive.

Current form aside, how would his departure affect the Crew?

5. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well:

a) Not too many temas are as loaded at striker as Columbus, and

b) He actually was more or less supposed to be in the starting XI but he couldn't get and stay healthy.

I like Jeff a lot more than most on these boards, but, like Mathis, the time is now to try and make a move.

We shall see.

6. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Understatement of the year award goes to....

Depends on who you ask. Some would say we'd miss his creativity on the ball.

Then again some might say the heavens would open and peace and tranquilty would encircle the earth forever and ever. Ding Dong the wicked Cunty is dead.

7. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    had he been healthy all season greg said he would have started all three of his forwards <cunny, mcbride, buddle> like he did the first game of the season against l.a. when cunningham was fully healthy he was typically on the field <in most, but not all, cases>

that being said, i think seeing the circumstances he is entering he would indeed have a good chance of sticking around for at least this season...i mean what do they have to lose? he is a free transfer, he is quick and he is a forward who despite constant grumblings about being a ball-hog scores goals...according to the article eintracht frankfurt is going to get what they are looking for...

8. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    San Jose: Donovan, DeRosario, Ching, Walker, Faria

9. Adrian

Adrian Member

Columbus Crew
    England
    May 9, 1999
    Plain City, OH, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How do you figure that? McBride, Cunningham, Buddle, and...?

10. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ching, Walker and Faria?

Que?

11. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well considering you generally only play two, that means one would have to sit or play in the midifeld or you'd have to play three which is rare. I don't think anybody else had an established starting striker behind two others going into the season.

12. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    so he's completley giving up any chance of a shot with the national team?

13. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    and you say that because? if he goes over there and starts scoring some goals at a good clip in the b.1 i can bet ya he will catch bruce's eye again and be playing for the national team at some point in the future when he is available.

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankfurt's attack has been such crap this season, they've already resorted to bringing back a 36-year-old Andreas Möller to try and improve it.

Frankly, I don't see why Cunningham wouldn't have a decent shot there.

15. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    being in germany makes it only a little tougher to get him here for games, i know, but bruce has always said it's better to play in mls than sit on the bench in europe. And it looks like in this situation, Jeff could be playing, at least until the injured guy is healthy.
    I guess all i'm saying is it's a heck of a lot easier to get bruce to notice you here than in germany.

16. eamonmcg

eamonmcg New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Rhode Island
    Re: Re: Cunningham On Trial With Eintracht Frankfurt

twellman, noonan, joe max moore, chris brown, fabbro

17. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Why do you find it hard to imagine that a guy who is just behind McBride and Buddle couldn't make an impact on a bottom tier BL1 team?

18. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I doubt it. Either way, he may not give a sht. I imagine the fat white chick who want to fck a soccer player quotient is much higher in Germany than good ol' Cbus.

19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Good luck to him. He's more than likely not in the Crew's plans next season. Better for us that he minutes in Germany than against us.

20. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Hey, if he learns how to work with his team to match his dribbling he may be in the Nats picture. Bruce told him his weakness when he went up before. When he worked the ball he was terrific.

21. Adrian

Adrian Member

Columbus Crew
    England
    May 9, 1999
    Plain City, OH, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Did you have Andrulis' ear right before they cut Washington?

22. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Re: Re: Re: Cunningham On Trial With Eintracht Frankfurt

Ching, Walker and Faria: Do you think any of these guys would have gotten a chance if DeResorio stayed healthy all year? Maybe Ching would be the third forward, but Walker wouldn't have seen anytime and they never would have traded for Faria

Come on, JMM hasn't even been effective since about 6 games into his Everton stint and if he didn't keep getting injuried every 3 games and Twellman didn't get injuried Noonan wouldn't be seeing the time he's had. Chris Brown, Fabbro???? you'd put those two anywhere near top forwards in this league??:

Twellman, Noonan, JMM, Chris Brown, Fabbro: 111

McBride, Buddle, Cunningham combined career goals: 129. Hell all three of them were caped this year alone. There's quality depth and quantity depth. The Crew was loaded in quality depth and that's what the guy was talking about.

Good luck Jeff, I hope you stick on and score 20 goals

23. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Here's what we should be talking about, now that Cunningham has put one foot out the door, who is going to take his place and continue the tradition of great forward play in Columbus. Right now all we have is McBride and Buddle...oh and Ritch(nice kid, but who really knows if he has it or not) Before this we've always had replacements up and coming. When Stern John left we had Washington and Cunningham to fill the void, Washington left because Buddle was ready. Now there's just a void and no one to fill it.

Who's out there? Who can we get to be our #3 forward?

24. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring back Dante.

Dumping him was the initial bad move for the Crew and the idiotarian-in-chief this year.

As for all you dimwits who keep listing your little pet forwards as if this was a cogent statement of some kind, save it. Meaningless drivel.

Here's a fact: Noonan, Joe Max, Chris Brown and "Fabbro" would all have been competing with Jeff Cunningham for THIRD CHOICE. None of them would have supplanted BMB or Edson Buddle.

And De Rosario would have been lucky to make our roster. As for Ching, Walker and Faria, you are simply joking. I don't much care for Cunny, but I'd take him over any of those assclowns in a heatbeat. Which makes any of them, at best, FOURTH choice in Columbus.

Assuming they could have won a spot at all.

25. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll just have to try and get lucky in the draft.

What bothers me the most though is what happens if Buddle leaves, as has been rumored.

Then we'll be counting on Ned Flanders to take time away from sending out resumes and interviewing with the NHL, along with his sidekick Greg the Moron, who will get to pick somebody, put him through training camp and the first month of the season and then turn it all over to a guy who may not want him.

Leaving these two lame ducks in charge of rebuilding the team just ahead of their inevitable exit is absurd.