Cunningham on trial at BL Eintracht Frankfurt

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jri, Nov 12, 2003.

1. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cunningham's strength is that he has very good close control of the ball and good pace. His judgement is at times suspect but he can beat people off the dribble, and general cause a defense to completely break down in the box. He gets a lot of assists turning a defense and then just laying it off to the other forward to hammer home. Hes not a good passer, but that doesnt matter.

Not my favorite forward, but you certainly can do much worse than Cunningham. Hes a bit out of character for a German side (saying he is tacticly naive is being kind) but the bigger, slower defenders would have fits trying to mark him. Hes also a bit of a ball hog, once its on his feet its not going to come off unless a goal is immenent or a defender or five is disposessing him.

In short if you have a team that has a hard time generating offense, Cunningham is a good player to have. He will generate something out of nothing for you. But if you want a guy to fit in a well oiled offensive machine, stay the heck away.

2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    The last one was PERFECT Cunni. He dribbled, held the ball too long, got tackled and dispossessed, and the ball happened to bounce to one of his teammates who finished. I hope EF players can recieve such lovely "passes".

3. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Bruce- I think you are being overly critical here..

If you have good control (like cunny does) the ball stays near you....yes, occasionally you are going to lose it, but guess what (?)...if you have good control, it will (some odds) bounce the right way to a teammate, etc. Cunny put himself in a dangerous position (by his dribbling- and drew defenders to him, and out of sorts). So the mere fact the Cunny DOESN'T let ball run to far ahead (we all know dribblers like that), ....by virtue, he's going to create some extra "pinballesque" opportunities....sure, they ain't pretty, but they all count...

Do you value a beautiful played pass directly on foot of opposing defender....or a nicely played back pass, which keeps possession, but does nothing to penetrate the D......as BETTER plays?
    You wanna see useless possession at work...pretty passes that go nowhere, and create nothing......I saw DC United plenty this year, and there's your answer right there...

You can criticize him when he flat out loses the opportunity and ball goes other way, but let's be careful not to overdo it...bottom line is a score, and it wasn't pure accident..(but due to pressure)

4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Have you heard the result yet?

5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    well, I just disagree about his attributes but I wish him the best and hope he makes it and improves a lot.

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    well, I just disagree about his attributes but I wish him the best and hope he makes it and improves a lot.

7. Eisern Union

Eisern Union New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Berlin
    I got into an arguement at a party a couple weeks ago with three Frankfurt fans who insisted that he was American and that I was an idiot for not knowing my own countrymen playing in Germany. I instisted that they were idiots for not knowing the nationality of the players on their team. Wen never really got past that impasse.

What is his heritage? I thought he was South African, but I've never really cared enough to look into it.

8. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    I seem to recall a YA thread about him a while back and the conclusion then was that he was from a mixed English-German marriage (like Earnie, only the pops was from England). Could be wrong naturally.

9. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Anyone know if Cunny played and how?

10. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    The game is this evening.

Jones is German, but his father is an US soldier, who left the family.

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Yep, Jones is American/German.

I belive Jeff C. was used as a winger at Leverkusen and as a result didn't fare very well. Might be wrong about that though...

12. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Cunny's biggest problem is going to be combining his superior talent in dribbling/breaking down defenses (a rare and very valuable skill)....with staying WITHIN whatever tactical system he is faced with. Based on history (and this is not a criticism), there is not going to be a lot of leeway for Cunny to "do his own thing"....that is just BL soccer......so he will have to be the one to adjust...and quickly

Talent is not an issue here...nor passing ability...etc....will Cunny be able/willing to play within the system? If so, I think he'll make the team, and even start some (after that, he's gotta put ball in onion bag, or help other to do so....to stay on pitch)

13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Cunningham playing now

Cunningham is actually playing in the friendly vs Arminia Bielefeld right now. Go to this website and a pop-up will let you follow the action.

http://www.dsc-arminia-bielefeld.de/

Cunningham is a starter.

14. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
  15. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    Multilingual

You can follow the action if you read German :(

16. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    I see Cunningham's getting mentioned a lot but I'm at a loss on the German....Any help out there?

17. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    My German's getting rusty, but sounds pretty much like a typical Jeff game- he's beating a few guys and getting fouled (one frustrated guy close to a red)- and drawing some free kicks in dangerous positions, he's (likely) been offsites a few times- site mentioned Frankfurt offside a few times, and I can't imagine it WASN'T Jeff, and he has also stumbled in the box on some opportunities...

One phrase near halftime sounded harsh "Cunningham not playing soccer (right?)...but may be incident-specific..

Hopefully, this is considered a good showing by/for a newbie, but who knows...bottom line, no goals by Frankfurt in 1st half, so certainly no slam dunk performance by Jeff...a 2nd half goal certainly would be nice Jeff...

18. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Looks like Cunningham is off in the 63rd.

19. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Cunny off in the 63rd...nothing noted in 2nd half....again, here's hoping its enough...

Site said there was no distinction between Bielefeld and Frankfurt, so Jeff didn't raise the play out there...

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    any of our German friends find out anything about Cunni's performance?

21. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Cunningham won’t be signed. From kicker:

The test game in Bielefeld hardly featured positive news. At least Coach Reimann was sure “that Jeff Cunningham is a talent, but won’t help us in short terms”. The US national player finished the tryout.

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    he does have talent. he just isn't much of a soccer player.

23. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    What does that mean? Why does Bruce Arena have him in his player pool?

24. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Cunningham needs to go to a less strucutred, more free-flowing league.....my impression of France, for example....but he'd probably be better going to a middle-tier league with the potential of shining (Belgium or Norway etc) vs. one of the best leagues in world (Germany)..

don't know, really, why jeff chose Germany.....guess he has contact there, but again, my impression is a rigid system is not a fit for his game...

25. Eisern Union

Eisern Union New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Berlin
    Is it just me, or does it seem like this fell apart really quickly? I can't imagine he stunk it up THAT badly considering the quality of the guys already on the team. It makes me wonder what sort of contract he was asking for.