Culture Shock

Discussion in 'Italy' started by aussie_ascoli, Jul 28, 2006.

1. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Its wierd knowing that the main sufferers of culture shock in Italy are the older italians who emegrated out of italy when they were young. So many stories from the Aus-Italians who went back, and in Italy have found it completely different, to how they imagined it would be.
    OK, one thing that will never change is family, and italian passion (eg. calcio).

Are our families "more traditional" than the ones in Italy????

I'm not sure, but the olders ones that have been believe they are more traditional, is this true???

When i was there for me it was like staying at Zia's, i was treated like a king.

2. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went there last year, finally, for the first time at age 26. Since I returned, I'm often explaining how similar things are to America today. The refridgerator at my aunt's house was BIGGER than ours, yet my mom also talked about the small fridges there. There aren't house driven carts all over the place anymore like my uncle remembers in the 50's. It was actually funny.

I've heard people say that American Italians are more Italian than the Italians in Italy, but I don't think that's true. But some people are just confused. Like ones who think that people in Italy are still having large families. And the ones that constantly mention the fact that they are Italian, yet know absolutely nothing about Italy and can't speak a word of Italian, those are real annoying. But in reality, people in both countries have modernized.

3. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I never asked the family in Italy, if they still do certain things.

eg. Make the tomato sauce, make the wine, make the grappa :D, make the sausage, have the chickens at the back, or grow their own veggies.

4. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Recently got back from Italy (Napoli, Pescara and Rome).
    I will tell you this. Family is as important as ever. I only saw two microwaves out of the 8 houses I went in. Preparing a meal the "old fashioned" way is still they they did it over there. All the fridges I saw were smaller along with the showers and just about everthing else. Good newspaper stands were every where. The tomato sauce I had with each meal was home made. I did have some home wine a couple times, but bottles were the norm. I also had plenty of home made limoncello. The sea is the main focal point of entertainment, at least in areas where I was at.