CUBA vs USA, comments and results

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by angusmcpresley, Jul 17, 2003.

1. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why SOOOOO much hate towards the USofA, Shatta??

Sounds like you're a bit miffed that Jamaica has slipped, BIGTIME, in the CONCACAF order!!

It's obvious to EVERYBODY that Pendergast is a JOKE of a ref & does EVERYTHING in his power to screw with the USMNT, specifically in WCQ!!

I don't have anything against Jamaica, in fact I hope you guys beat Mexico tomorrow, but you'll NEVER be a "bigshot" in CONCACAF soccer!!

Just accept the facts & stop whining!!

2. RevSoccerbbs

RevSoccerbbs New Member

May 12, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Gold Cup Game Photo

Hey -

It was a perfect day for soccer!

Check out the game photos at

http://bostonbbs.com/Asp/Photo.asp

USA 5:0 Cuba - Donavan dominates!
    Costa Rica 5:2 El Salvador

Enjoy!

3. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Shatta, don't sweat the rest of these guys. Keep on calling it like you see it. It's posters like you that keeps things interesting around here. That being said, you have to admit that one call was terrible that Prendergast made. He must have been smoking that good Jamaican herb before the game. :). And aren't you defending him because he's Jamaican?

4. Shatta

Shatta New Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Inglewood California
    My point is that it has been 2 years so why keep bringing it up? Prendergast is a class ref and if he wasn't why would he keep getting important games to officiate?

I keep telling you guys that JA is growing and what you guys are seeing is the growing pains from a country that went from not competing in the qualifiers to suddenly starting to take football seriously and qualifying for France 98(damn the more I think about it the more I don't believe it)

We qualified for the world cup the first time we tried and even came away with a win and lets face it the first time the USA went to the world cup it wasn't pretty either.

Right now even with our growing pains its plain to see that Jamaica has the ingredients to make it a force in the region. We have the natural skill, speed and arrogance(very important) to dominate this region. I mean just think which other country you know would take a bunch of amatuers to Mexico in a qualifier and compete the way we did in that 2-1 loss? Ask Honduras and El Salvador about our mental toughness?

If we are this competitive now just you all wait until we start approaching football the way it should be approached

respect

5. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Class ref my ---. Garbage refs get called up all the time. Indeed International soccer seems to have the least rigorous accountability of all major sports when it comes to refs actually pulling paychecks and getting top gigs. Heck even Phil Luckett can't sniff a playoff game in the NFL, and baseball is much more rigorous now, but we've still got to deal with massive pile ups of incompetant clowns at the World Cup and in regional qualifying.

This isn't about class, never was about class. There are good refs and bad refs, and paid off refs, and mediocre one's. Prendergast has repeatedly been awful, period. I love contrary opinions, it keeps the mind active searching for counterarguments, but Prendergast stinks out loud, as does the ref system in International play.

6. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada isn't sending it's U-23 side to SD for the games.

You attackers were clicking.
    Ours weren't

7. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    He's a terrible ref. I don't think he's biased, he's just bad. He blows calls both ways on a regular basis in just about every game I've seen him call. He's not alone in being bad. He's not really worse than most of the MLS refs, most of the Mexican refs, etc, etc.

8. Dixie

Dixie New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Tallahassee, Florida
    And neither was your defense obviously

9. Newman

Newman New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Madison, WI
    Shatta-the first time the US went to the World Cup, they finished tied for 3rd (no 3rd place game back then). That, in my book at least, qualifies as "pretty". Hope you do well vs. El Tri. I'd love to see a final played in an empty Azteca...

I think the fact that Cuba was playing it's 3rd game in 6 days had a lot to do with how awful they looked today. They looked like they ran out of gas 15 minutes in to the match.That being said, it was still an embarrassing loss for Canada and one that can't easily be written off as attackers not "clicking". Not when you give up 2 goals to a team that can't muster a shot on goal vs. the US.

10. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    on canada and cuba's side I must say they do not have pro leagues! The Usa now does.....

canada will have a nice advantage in the Pan american games, colombia and Brazil are sending sub-20

I dont know what USA and Mx will send....

check this out:https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=61077

11. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Read my post above.

12. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002
    Good question. By not playing anywhere near what we were capable of playing, by falling asleep defensively in the first 15 minutes of the game & by setting an all-time Canadian record for most scoring chances missed in one game.

A weird tournament for Canada. Proved they could compete with the top 3 teams in the region, but are still capable of playing like crap against the minnows in the region.

13. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002
    True enough. Two terrible defensive plays & the ball was in the back of our net each time. Cuba created nothing outside of that (though it could be argued they didn't need to). The Canadian team was gutted after the game because they knew if they played even half-decently against Cuba they would likely have gone through to the semi-finals. They got over-confident & didn't show up against Cuba the way they should have, after a good performance & win over the Ticos, and went home as a result.

It shows that despite the win over the Ticos, we have a bit more work to do before joining the top 3 in the region. The best teams in the region don't lose to Cuba, even on one day's rest.

14. Dixie

Dixie New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Not to sound like the totally arrogant American, but it proved you could compete with one of the top 3 teams in the region :). Notice the smiley, don't kill me.