Cuba v. U.S. Line-up predictions

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by alexdergrosse, Jul 7, 2005.

1. alexdergrosse

alexdergrosse New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Northern VA
    With the "inside scoop" that Hahnemann is going to start in goal, I thought I'd trot out my predictions for the line-up tonight:

Hahnemann

Conrad Pope Gooch Vanney
    -----------Armas
    -----------------Dempsey
    --Brad Davis
    ---------Donovan
    ------Casey Wolff

This was actually pretty hard, especially since I didn't have anyone to cheat off of like usual!:D

I figured Arena will put a young or new guy in each part of the field, that's why I have Conrad in the back (over Sanneh or Hejduk), Davis in the middle (over Ralston), and Casey up top.

I could see Armas over Mastroeni here in order to save Pablo for Saturday.

2. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    That looks about right. I know it would most likely not happen but I would like to see Quaranta up top with Casey. Q will probably get late second half minutes against Cuba and/or Canada. Hope he shows well to justify his call up.

3. alexdergrosse

alexdergrosse New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Northern VA
    I'd rather see Quaranta as well, but doubt Arena would put him up there with Casey. However, we might see Wolff and Quaranta (although I think this is less likely).

4. randall_pink

randall_pink New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Tampa, via ATL
    I never presume to know or comprehend what Bruce might do, but I am guessing we will see a heavy dose of JOB, Oneywu, and Casey in this tournament, after listening to him talk over the past few days. He is using this week to really try to get a look at those 3 guys.

Also, he rarely sticks a brand new guy in as a starter, he would rather bring them on late in the game their first time with the full team.

Ralston and/or Noonan (interchangeable here) and Beasley will probably be involved as a result.

My best guess:

Keller (hannehman, if you say so)
    Dolo Oneywu Pope Vanney
    Ralston JOB Donovan/Dempsey DMB
    Wolff Casey

Noonan on for Ralston (or vice versa) around 60
    Davis on for Beas around 75
    Conrad on for Pope around 75

The other option I see is to sit wolff and push donovan up front with dempsey in the link midfield role.

5. alexdergrosse

alexdergrosse New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Northern VA
    Someone posted somewhere that they ran into Hahnemann and he says he's starting. No idea if they're right, but it could be part of Arena's plan to play green guys today and start the big boys on Saturday. Thus the inclusion of Davis and Conrad.

Dolo, Ralston, JOB and Beas come out on Saturday is my guess.

6. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    i can't see BA not starting Landon and Beas - unless either has fitness problems. Part of evaluating talent is trying to figure out how they fit with the other pieces of the puzzle. Landon and Beas are two guys who are established pieces of the puzzle so it would only make sense to evaluate the newer players to the national team by seeing how well they combine with Landon and Beas.

I'd like to see Dempsey and JOB in the midfield, and I think it is somewhat reaosnable to see that. While BA originally tried Dempsey as a more defensive minded midfielder, his play suggests he is more comfortable in an attacking role. JOB used to be an excellend defender so it would be interesting to see him in that role, but who knows where his skills are now? Also, Dempsey-JOB in the middle might be a little too risky since neither really has a calming influence on the team.

7. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Anyone with word on how fit JOB is. I understand that he is getting better, but has he even played training matches or preseason for the Hague?

8. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    well, whomever arena starts tonight, probably will be sitting saturday afternoon....

and the PRIMARY guys start tonight, and usa gets the 3 from cuba...the 2nd team takes on canada, who'll presumeably will either be tired or playing 2nd teamers too...

and then next tuesday, the A squad comes back against costa rica...

that's been arena's past strategy, so I don't see it changing this year...

9. Steel Keeper

Steel Keeper Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I agree with the earlier statement that JOB, Casey, and Gooch will get a big look during the GC. I like Quaranta but he was the 24th man called up so I doubt we will see too much of him. Another comment that I liked was rksehga's about how we need to see how the others fit in with the puzzle. It is almost pointless to play Noonan, Ralston, and Dempsey at the same time because we can see that in New England. LD and DMB will play a lot. Bruce is going to have to walk a tight line, blood new guys, see how they fit and try to win the tournament to up our FIFA Ranking and possibly get a seed (assuming France doesn't qualify and Holland falls a few spots). We should play our strongest XI against Costa Rica and should adjust our other roster accordingly.

Best XI:
    -------------Keller--------------

Dolo----Gooch-----Pope-----Hejduk

-------------Pablo----------------

Dempsey---------------------DMB

--------------JOB----------------

------Donovan--------Casey------

vs. Cuba:

--------------Hahnemann--------------

Sanneh---Gooch-----Pope------Conrad

-----------------JOB------------------

Dempsey--------------------------DMB

---------------Donovan----------------

---------Casey----------Wolff----------

We know what we get from Pablo, but JOB's participation is crucial for the fall and next June. Get looks at Casey, Wolff, Dempsey at right mid, Gooch with Pope, Marcus, and the two outside backs.

10. GaHoo

GaHoo Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Here's my stab at a lineup.

I'd like to see DMB, JOB, Mastro and LD together since they played well together at the WC. Add Ralston to see the combination.

The biggest question is up top. The four forwards have 8 goals between them, 7 from Wolff. I don't see Casey or Quaranta as starters but could see Noonan instead of Wolff.

With the mix of forwards and midfielders, it makes more sense to have a different formation rather than the 4-4-2. Just imagine if Eddie Lewis and Reyna were also available. Who would get left out of the midfield?

-------------Wolff----------------

-------------Donovon---------------

----DMB---------------------Ralston

----------JOB---------Mastro--------

Vanney----Gooch-----Pope-----'dolo

-------------Keller--------------