Cuba Thread

Discussion in 'International News' started by Visca..., Jun 13, 2008.

1. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    What a move
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/2008061...80612051613;_ylt=AtJ9KIZQMGh4zIeVqBCZLnBhxXsA

2. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Lol...

It took them this long to barely understand how one simple principle of Capitalism works...how much longer before they realize that they are completely wrong?

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a prime example of how the US could help change Cuba by taking a logical approach. Since Cuba are making these changes, cosmetic or not, they are still improvements, the US should offer to open up trade and travel with Cuba. This would be a good way to help encourage more change there and hopefully bring about better relations.

4. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Agree. They have to end the stupid embargo.

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Unfortunately US politicians are held hostage by the Cuban exile community in Florida, which is organized, powerful, active and anti Castro. It has gone past the point of reason.

6. Mphotog

Mphotog New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Dallas
    True ,True and at the expense of the rest of the nation, If those Cuban exiles did not rape their country, they never would have been kicked out of their country (I'm talking about exiles from the 1950's not political exiles)

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or how about when Fidel Castro emptied his prisons and let them out into Florida?

8. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    The current Cuban leadership has been raping & oppressing the country since, not much of an improvement. Now all Cubans are equally poor.

9. Mphotog

Mphotog New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Dallas
    If we had political relations with them years ago, and did isolate them, Castro would have been gone long ago.This trade embargo has just exasperated the problem. we trade with China and Vietman, go figure?. We just gave the piss ant Castro a platform. I say trade with them,send in the internet and lots of Greenbacks and the goverment would fall in a few years

10. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It makes no sense, we hold these people in hostage, basically, the same way that things are going on Zimbabwe. Of course that is a bit of a hyperbole, but it is not dissimmilar. If we want to give people "around the world" freedom and good lives, then WTF are we doing still hurting these people.

11. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/2008062...80623200903;_ylt=AhRcw_Q0gGxxm91WiKUKNq9hxXsA

12. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The embargo will end soon. The US wouldn't lift it while Fidel was in power, hopefully they won't wait til he dies to lift it now. The embargo should end and the US should work with Cuba to reopen trade, travel, and even secutiry agreements.

I would like to see the US even turn over Gitmo to Cuba. It could be step 1 in improving relations between the US and Latin America as a whole.

13. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    How are we hurting them? Cuba can do business with 200 other countries around the world. I'm not in favor of sanctions, but our government's decision to impose them should not affect Cuba in the least. Buy Japanese cars, sell your sugar elsewhere, attract European & Latin American tourists.

14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off the top of my head, rice shipped from Vietnam costs way more in transportation add-ons than rice shipped from Louisiana. I imagine there are a host of other examples where buying from the US would be cheaper and quicker.

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not sure about cheaper. I am no agricultural expert, but considering that Vietnamese farmers probably earn $1-2 a day and American farmers probably earn 20x that an hour, I think that might offset the transport costs.

Anyway, I wonder if the US will ban supporters from traveling to the WC qualifier match with Cuba? Wouldn't that be a bit Sovietesque?

16. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    The conditions that set price are way way way more complicated than transportation and wages. For example, a vietnamese farmer may earn mere fractions of what an American farmer earns, but he also has productivity levels that are mere fractions of the productivity of American farmers. And productivity is just one of thousands of factors.

High (mass) density products like oil and small grains like wheat and rice are more subject to having their prices affected by transportation costs. Lower density products typically have far less of their total cost going to transportation. Transportation from larger distances is significantly more expensive when the densities are high, and are very likely to disproportionately affect the total cost.

17. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Well, if Chavez provides free oil for the ship, the cost from VN drops considerably.
    Not to mention that rice grown in a worker's paradise must taste better than rice grown in a capitalist democracy.

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sweat and blood add flavor.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010