CSL Foreign Refs 2020

Discussion in 'Referee' started by gold4278, Oct 22, 2020.

1. gold4278

gold4278 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CSL Quarterfinals (October 22 for Beijing Guoan vs Shandong Luneng): KIM Hee-Gon (KOR) There was a pretty shocking VAR decision to take back a Shandong Luneng goal right before the second Guoan goal was scored.

2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This one?
    @ 1:27.10 of video

3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Wait, you don't think that is the kind of clear error that VAR was designed for?

Clearly wouldn't be considered in a lot of places. I think a foul is a better call than a no-call, but I don't think it meats the clear and obvious level such that VAR should intervene.

4. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    That's the lightest foul ever.

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR used to overturn that.

VAR not used to call the foul in Man City v Porto and allows penalty to stand.

At some point, people will understand that VAR isn't "technology" that fixes thing and is just another tool that is only as good as the officials and the training given to them (training, it's worth reiterating for the umpteenth time, that is different than referee training).

Wow, that's horrendous.

socal lurker repped this.
  6. gold4278

gold4278 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, that's the one! And they reviewed the Beijing goal for several minutes after that to try to find a foul when there was clearly nothing.

7. gold4278

gold4278 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CSL Relegation Playoffs First Round Second Leg (October 24 for Guangzhou R&F vs Qingdao Huanghai): KO Hyung-Jin (KOR)

8. gold4278

gold4278 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CSL Semifinals First Leg (October 28 for Beijing Guoan vs Guangzhou Evergrande): KO Hyung-Jin (KOR)

9. gold4278

gold4278 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CSL Semifinals First Leg (October 29 for Jiangsu Suning vs Shanghai SIPG): KIM Hee-Gon (KOR)

10. gold4278

gold4278 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CSL Semifinals Second Leg (November 2 for Guangzhou Evergrande vs Beijing Guoan): KIM Hee-Gon (KOR)
    CSL Relegation Playoffs Second Leg (November 2 for Qinhdao Huanghai vs Wuhan Zall): KO Hyung-Jin (KOR) Some fun times for Mr. Ko with 3 send-offs and reportedly sending off the entire Wuhan technical area for arguing a caution that looked like it should have been another red.

11. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013

First red at 27' given via OFR (elbowing), 2CTs at 90+7' and 115'.

12. gold4278

gold4278 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incident in question was in 78'. Doesn't seem like he showed red cards to any of the staff, but they got sent to the stands? Does the 4O have authority to do so?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opydJF4QUqw

13. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they are being sent back to the technical area/bench - based on the substitute for the other team going up there as part of the socially distanced/no fans COVID bench area in stands.

(That's not to express an opinion on whether it might have been good to send at least one team official off, but I don't think they did send anyone which is why you don't see a red card)

gold4278 repped this.
  14. gold4278

gold4278 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11th Place Playoff First Leg (November 6 for Guangzhou R&F vs Dalian Pro): KIM Hee-Gon (KOR)

15. gold4278

gold4278 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3rd Place Playoff First Leg (November 7 for Shanghai SIPG vs Beijing Guoan): KO Hyung-Jin (KOR)

16. gold4278

gold4278 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relegation Playoff Second Leg (November 11 for Shijiazhuang vs Wuhan Zall): KIM Hee-Gon (KOR)

17. gold4278

gold4278 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Championship Playoff Second Leg (November 12 for Guangzhou Evergrand vs Jiangsu Suning): KO Hyung-Jin (KOR)

18. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    I watched most of the final. As at the last Asian Cup, not really impressed with Ko Hyung-jin. Korean is not the best decision taker nor leader on the pitch (classic sort of referee FIFA are pushing at the moment).

In addition he totally relied on VAR for the match's crucial decision - clip.

gold4278 repped this.
  19. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Not sure what you mean by this. He signaled a PK immediately, and then seemed to follow protocol when the VAR eis commanded a n OFR.

20. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't have any misconduct though it looks like. Even if he thought it was PK/attempt to play it should have been YC, and it was a hold anyway so needed to be a RC regardless

21. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I dunno about the hold—I thought he was calling stepping on the foot.

On the card, agree we don’t see one shown, which would seem wrong-though I had simply assumed we didn’t see it rather than it wasn’t given initially.

22. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Kim blatantly awarded a penalty so he could go over and take the decision from the RRA. Reminds me of a penalty Felix Zwayer awarded in the Atlético Madrid - Juventus game season before last which I am sure in a game without VAR he would have given a freekick outside on the pitch, which was (clearly) the correct call.

Powers-that-be should really act strongly against such refereeing in my view, but they don't.

23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I think that’s a huge assumption to make. Besides, it was going to get reviewed for inside/outside either way.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't see what you're seeing. It's really close. Honestly, in situations like that my assumption tends to be that the defender often holds on just a tad too long and often concedes a penalty when his intention is to only give up the free kick. In this case, video appears to prove he let go inches before the hold crosses into the penalty area. I'm completely fine with the decision to award a PK initially.

And if the decision to give the PK initially is a by-product of the implementation of VAR (under the argument that referees were more likely to want to make errors of omission than errors of commission in the past, and therefore refereed "defensively")... well, I fail to see how that's a bad thing. He called what he thought was correct and had the guts to make the punitive call and happened to be off by a couple inches. Seems totally okay to me.

The two things that did catch my eye, however...

Not showing the red card prior to the OFR. I'm not sure if that's because he lost the player's number (seems plausible) or if he felt it wasn't prudent to show the red until he knew what the restart would be definitively (which also seems plausible, but isn't in line with the protocols). Either way, this was going to be red. So I wonder if in a slightly different scenario whether or not he'd show it immediately and then hash out the VAR aspect.

He only got 7.5, maybe 8 yards on that wall. That's really not good in this day and age.

Oh, and #36's expression and protests at being shown the red are priceless. How he thought he was staying on the field is beyond me.

refinDC and socal lurker repped this.
  25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess my post above was with the MLS protocols in mind, which require an OFR for all decisions, not just subjective ones. In MLS, what you see in the clip is perfectly fine and expected (maybe outside the delayed red card).

In most other places, in-versus-out is an objective decision that does not require an OFR. Do we know what the procedure is in China? Because if in-versus-out does not require an OFR, there does become the question of why there was an OFR? Was it for a "missed red card?" If it was, that's not great. And if it wasn't, then... what was it for?

Thinking about this all a little more, it is a bit choppy. And another piece of evidence showing that VAR is implemented and applied differently from referee to referee, league to league, and confederation to confederation. And, as I said in the CONMEBOL thread, this is likely another WC referee team. Consistency of application in 2022 is going to be quite the feat to attempt to pull off.

refinDC and socal lurker repped this.