Csl 2011

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RedCoatsforever, Oct 31, 2010.

1. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So can we stop talking about whether or not it's football or soccer and use the CSL 2011 thread to talk about the CSL's 2011 season, perhaps?

2. mannyweb.ca

mannyweb.ca New Member

May 29, 2010
    Mississauga
    Short yes...

Personally would prefer those lame names, mostly cause I feel they are more akin the our cheap naming convention instead of being cheaper and recycling names from across the pond.

Well just to be fair my initial comment was about Brampton Lions name change for the 2011 season, but whatever we're going around in circles for a very minor issue.

So going back to the initial point of this thread I voted for the Mississauga team. Though I'm already disgusted with their initial money grabbing tryout scheme. :mad:

3. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They call gridiron football because in the NFL, the ball is a foot long.

4. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Are there any plans to eliminate "play-offs" and have the CSL winner be the Champion?

5. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Do you mean Association Football or Rugby Football?

Which one of those is the the "real" football?

There's no winning argument to this discussion so it's really pointless to try stirring things up.

Anymore discussion of this nature will be considered off topic and deleted.

B

6. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No, they're dividing the league into two divisions with a common playoff for the Givova Cup. Plus there's a misconception from the people who run soccer leagues in North America that soccer fans in N.A. wouldn't understand a league in which the champion is the regular season first place winner.

Although I suppose that with these leagues the people who are already die-hard soccer fans aren't really the people they're trying to attract.

7. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Ideally there would be a League Champ. and a Cup Champ...The no-play off format also implies relegation up and down to make the pyramid of soccer flexible,which is another thing N.A. fans don't like in soccer and in sports generally either.

Mind you are talking about crowd that gets excited watching NAS Car racing etc?...:)

8. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think that you're being a little general about North America. Canadians aren't as rigid about these things as Americans are (and NASCAR doesn't quite hold the same appeal up here).

9. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Unfortunetely,in N.A. sports,the marketing/business aspect is always valued more then real sporting quality.

10. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I never claimed North American fans weren't flexible, just that the people running the leagues don't think people would really "get" the idea. Also, promotion and relegation takes time and team owners who are willing to risk relegation, which isn't something you can easily sell to sports investors.

Having a league champ also doesn't imply promotion and relegation in and of itself, seeing how you need more than on league in the pyramid to make that happen.

Also, NASCAR? Really, Miro, NASCAR?

If North American sports aren't up to your standard, I'd suggest you just ignore them entirely.

11. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    The League standings are needed to know who would get relegated from the 1st league to the second leauge and third and fourt and fifth leagues and who would be promoted etc...

Understand that investors want a guaranteed lock up on the league,the problem with that is as in NHL that at least half of the teams perform poorly so the games.

For TFC for example it would mean they would have been relegated at least twice to USL and would have to win that to come back to MLS etc...

12. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yes, I understand how promotion and relegation work. The point is that the people who run the leagues and own the teams oppose instituting it for the reasons I listed above. Promotion and Relegation is a rudimentary concept that I fully support, they use it in North American paintball leagues. A large number of soccer fans support Promotion and Relegation in North America, hell, I'd even support its use in NHL, CFL, NFL, NBA, and so on.

But that doesn't matter, because I and the other people who believe in the concept don't have the kind of money to build a league or a club. It's a moot point.

13. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Officially, yes, but to state this is to be willfully blind to the reality of Canada's MLS and D2 teams in US leagues. Sort of like insisting the US doesn't have a top tier hockey league because the NHL is technically a Canadian league that just happens to have a lot of US teams.

The two problems with this are, of course, money and a lack of lower tier teams. No one is going to pay $40 million for an MLS team with a chance to get relegated. No current MLS owner who paid an expansion fee is going to let a new team in for free just because that team won the NASL last year. Also, there isn't exactly a stable D2 league to do pro/rel with. Pro/rel is a fun concept in principle but entirely unsuited for the reality of soccer in Canada or the US.

14. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Okay realisticaly,you can not call 2 team playing in an USA league as a Canadian Div. 1...

That's like if you had a team in Iceland and another one in Turkey,nothing in the middle,in between, and called that Europe's 1st Division.

Canada is completely missing several tiers of soccer in every region.

15. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  16. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    Does anyone know will the csl be part of the rogers super sports pack again this year?

17. mlatimudan

mlatimudan New Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  18. 23shawn12

23shawn12 New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  19. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I doubt it, if they don't have the necessary cash flow to enter the league outright, they probably just won't enter at all. Not to mention the other possibility that they're considering the proposed new league.

20. 23shawn12

23shawn12 New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Written on their Facebook page:

KW United FC The CSL has announced the 14 teams to compete in the first division for the upcoming season. You will notice that KW UNITED is not one of the teams listed. Milltown FC and Hamilton Croatia have missed the deadline and will not be in the first division.

Even though we are not listed, as we are a first year team, we have been allocated additional time to decide whether we will go forward with a team in the first division. Even if we do not get a field allocated in time, and set up appropriate sponsorships, we ARE in the league. Our U-23 reserve team will compete in the CSL Reserve Division with an allowance for several older players in the roster. Therefore our TRYOUTS still stand as is, and we would still be looking for at least 20 youth players and about 10 older players. We want to get a good group of players together to be able to practice well, develop talent, and have a full squad for the whole season!

This is what everyone in this region who is involved with soccer has been waiting for, so lets work on representing this region to the best of our ability.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/KW-United-FC/122135214513693#wall

21. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Are you saying that Milltown will play in the CSL reserve's division,but not the Senior division?

22. 23shawn12

23shawn12 New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I believe that they are just saying the Milltown will not be playing in the CSL this year. nothing more. thats from the KW teams page...so i dont know if they would have the facts on what league milltown will be playing in.

23. MAICOL

MAICOL Member

Oct 18, 2003
    Earth
    Club:
    Univ Catolica
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Glad to see Mississauga back in the CSL but the league looks a bit too much with so many teams but then again Ontario is bigger then most countries around the world.

24. MAICOL

MAICOL Member

Oct 18, 2003
    Earth
    Club:
    Univ Catolica
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Did not know there was one. Dont lie to me :)

25. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    Yes last summer they had it part of there pack in the 450s it was great.