Csl 2011

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RedCoatsforever, Oct 31, 2010.

1. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Now that the 2010 season is dead, but not even cold, time for the 2011 season thread! :D

So, how's it going to go down? Who will win?
    Will the new clubs perform as well as this season's expansions have?
    Will any of the perennial minnows move up this time around? Please?

Also; let's get some rumours!

vote now for 2011 Roger's Cup champion.

2. TFC_MLS_2007

TFC_MLS_2007 New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Brantford Galaxy to repeat as CSL Champions in 2011.....!!
    now thats out of the way..the expansion to Ottawa,Kitchener,
    Missasuga and Pickering it should lead to more rivalries..Brantford
    and Hamilton Croatia now have one, maybe Kitchener can get in
    there as well, Missasauga and Pickering should be good for the Toronto
    area rivals, and Ottawa and Montreal :} time is coming that the CSL
    champion enter the NCC and play the likes of Toronto FC, Montreal
    Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps? will it happen, not for a while but
    who knows?

3. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Now, the best team in the CSL in any given season would be able to give those three a run for their money, but probably not win the tournament...

BUT, imagine if you will, all the ticket revenues for the CSL clubs who do host TFC, Impact, and Whitecaps, and also the buzz generated around said clubs.

Those NCC home games would be a great showcase for the club and CSL at large, and a great time to pitch Season pass sales.

4. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    UPDATE: As of yesterday, I've learned that the CSL now gives out the Givova Cup, not the Roger's Cup as in the past.

5. TFC_MLS_2007

TFC_MLS_2007 New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Givova is now the league sponsor..and had a nice Cup to win..although
    Givova needs to get the team jerseys available to the public..

6. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    In my opinion, since the league also has Sportchek as a sponsor they should be telling them to sell the jerseys at their locations. (In the places with clubs, that is.)

7. TFC_MLS_2007

TFC_MLS_2007 New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    2010 will be remembered for 2 expansion teams (although Hamilton Croatia has been a club long before this season) making it to the CSL final and having decent attendances, if they had a team of the year award it should go to the Brantford Galaxy, with little football history the put together a fantasic club and a highly entertaining one as well..good luck
    to the next round of expansion teams..2011 should be another big season for the CSL/

8. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They do have a club of the year award, it's called the Givova Cup! :p

New Erin Mills CSL franchise :
    FC Mississauga Eagles

This bit of EMSC's press release addresses further expansion;

So, apparently the Lions are now United and Portugal FC is now SC Toronto...after this and Italia Shooters going back to be York Region, methinks the Serbian White Eagles will be changing their club name in a few years.

9. TFC_MLS_2007

TFC_MLS_2007 New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Portugal FC were not getting the support from the Portugese community so they are trying to get other support..which is good cause they are a
    good club and deserve some support...good luck to them.

10. TFC_MLS__2007

TFC_MLS__2007 New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Your a imposter??

STOP IMPOSTERING ME!!!!

11. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    More interesting than trying to guess a winner is, at this point, a discussion of the new teams.

I'm very happy to see Kitchener on the list. That has been a glaringly obvious spot for CSL expansion for a long time.

I'm also happy to see Ottawa back in the league. (Was it really 2003 when the Wizards got turfed? Wow, time flies!) My only concern there is with the Fury. Is there room for two tier-three teams in Ottawa?

I'm less thrilled with Mississauga and Pickering. The league obviously has a different strategy but I'd prefer to see single teams in more markets rather than more teams further subdividing the GTA.

Clearly there's a lot of off season for further expansion announcements but I'm slightly concerned not to have at least a reference to the return of Trois-Rivieres. Given how successful they were in the past both on and off the pitch I'd hate to see their planned one year hiatus become a permanent shut down. Having a second Quebec-based team would also help the optics of the league and also presumably make it more attractive for further Quebec expansion into places like Quebec City, Sherbrooke, or possibly even Gatineau.

12. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    I beleave the fury and the csl team can both have success.As for gatineau i would hope they would wait a few years and let the ottawa csl team get set build up a fan base before expanding to gatineau.

13. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I would've thought having both Ottawa and Gatineau in the league would make for an excellent derby matchup.

CSL clubs don't really "build up" a fanbase traditionally, people either go or they don't. A proximity-based rivalry like Ottawa-Gatineau seems ideal.

14. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    It is ideal i just not sure if having 2 joining in the same year is the best way to go.

15. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    If CHL hockey is any guide they are two totally separate markets.

16. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    Yes and no gatineau is 5 minutes away from ottawa.So in one hand you could say its a different market it still is ottawa and really is the same market.

17. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think the people in Gatineau, and in Quebec in general, would take the former hand and pass on the latter, and so would I.

Gatineau to CSL!

18. ortawa

ortawa New Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    The Fury is PDL which is actually 4th-tier and mostly amateur teams. CSL would be a step and comparable to the new USL-Pro - both recognized as Division 3 in their countries

19. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    But again thats the thing its not just gatineau people that support events and teams in gatineau.Having a team in ottawa and gatineau is having 2 teams in the same market.Many people in ottawa support events etc in gatineau and many people from gatineau gpo to ottawa.

20. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    For higher level teams (the Senators and the CFL) it is, in practice, one market. For lower level teams (the CHL and lower tier soccer) it is, in practice, two markets.

I understand the proximity issue. The fact seems to be, however, that people don't cross the bridge for minor league sports.

I think this distinction will be overlooked by most Ottawa sports fans. Either they won't know or they won't notice much of a difference on the field anyway.

As for off the field performance, I think a team in either league can do well if properly run and promoted. Both leagues have Canadian teams that draw over 1000 and both leagues have Canadian teams that draw under 200.

21. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    They do cross the bridge for minor league sports major jr hockey as an axzample.I am not saying 2 teams can't work they can all i am saying is it may be a issue with 2 teams starting at the same time.

22. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    Has anyone heard what field ottawa will call home?

23. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  24. ortawa

ortawa New Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I would guess Carleton or Terry Fox

25. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    Does anyone know when the schedule should be out?