Crystal Palace folder .... please

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by bigbrooklynlou, Nov 4, 2004.

1. bigbrooklynlou

bigbrooklynlou New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Iain Dowie, Andy Johnson, and the rest of Palace deserve a folder. Hey mods, give us a hand. At least we're in the Premiership.

CP 1 - Arsenal 0

Don't ask, I just got a feeling

2. krause9

krause9 New Member

Mar 6, 2003
    Hell Yeah

3. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    If Lakis didnt lose focus it would have been 2-1. I'll take a draw any day against Arsenal. Go Palace!

4. youllneverwalkalone

Apr 3, 2003
    Houston
    Congratulations to Palace on their draw today. Very very good performance. That was the most exciting Prem game i've watched all season long.

5. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Crystal Palace does deserve a forum to call home, if only because the name is cool. :D

excerpt from my conversation with my dad last Saturday morning, as he walked into the living room as I was watching the Birmingham v. Palace match

Dad- who's playing?
    Me- Birmingham and Crystal Palace.
    Dad- *pauses a moment* Crystal Palace?
    Me- yep.

The name is definitely catchy to even the non-followers.

6. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Great game. I was screaming like an idiot all through the second half. The howl I made on the equalizer 2 minutes after giving up the goal was huge. Random thoughts.

* Leigertwood played a nice game, even got a bit brave during the second half. Please lets see some more of him. Great defending. I really hope Sorondo is alright. They said he pulled a hammie.
    * Lakis! All you had to do was touch it in for the biggest upset of the season. Still great touches and some very nice passes. The boy should be starting.
    * Kiraly. A few mistakes here and there, but a very good game on a cold wet night in London.

I'm a VERY happy camper.

7. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice one for the Palace. I was cheering for them to go up last season, and now a well-earned result against Arsenal. They're certainly not rolling over for anyone--and how could you not love the name?

8. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A Premiership forum.....Ipswich, Leeds, Leicester, Forest, QPR, Sunderland, West Ham and Wolves all have their own folders but none for Palace? Seems kind of wrong to me too.

After watching the game yesterday I've got to admit that I'm beginning to change my mind about Palace. I saw them a few times last season and thought that they would be relegation certainties, even going as far as telling some of my friends that I thought they'd register the lowest ever points total of any Premiership team.

I saw their results over recent weeks and just put it down to the fact that they were playing some poor teams who were out of form.

It all changed yesterday whilst watching the game against Arsenal, I'll admit it, I was wrong!!! I'm quite new to these boards but you'll probably never hear me admit that again. Although I'm still not 100% convinced over the talent of some of your players what cannot be questioned is their desire, attitude and willingness to work hard.

A superb display by a team packed full of fighting spirit. Rihilahti (or however you spell that) personified this and was awesome throughout the match. Andy Johnson worked tirelessly up front on his own and caused the Arsenal defence problems with his pace and determination. Hughes was getting stuck in all over the place. Kiraly made a few telling saves, Watson looked impressive to me too, the entire back line was solid.

It was probably unfair of me to pick out individuals as this was a true team-performance and a job well done. When Arsenal took the lead I feared the worst for Palace and thought they may collapse but they showed great bouncebackability by equalising so soon afterwards and I ended up swearing at the top of my voice when Lakis missed that great chance.

Palace can definitely stay up and if they show as much commitment week-in week-out for the rest of the season then Palace will stay up comfortably, no doubt about it. Kudos to the team for giving me some enjoyable tea-time television viewing and to the fans, who turned out en masse, (I believe this was their biggest attendance for 10 years), for creating what seemed like a great atmosphere.

9. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    The funny thing is that all reports had Palace in the beginning of the season looking to stay in the Premiership for a year, get some money to buy some young players, and then dip back down. Since they've made their run and escaped the relegation zone, the plan is looking as if its changing.

The big test is what they do with Johnson. If they keep him, they're looking to stay in the Premiership for a while. If they sell him in the transfer window for some insane amount of money, then they're planning to stuff their pockets and dip back down. The best indication I've seen that they are looking to stick around is that Dowie has stated repeatedly that they are not selling Johnson.

10. mik_smith

mik_smith New Member

Feb 5, 2001
    London
    Johnson said he's staying, having just signed a 5-year deal. I think the fan's conventional wisdom (or hope?) is that if Dowie stays, AJ stays. Routledge isn't living up to (very high) expectations, and the rumors are that he's being lined up for a move to Spurs.

The squad is actually pretty big right now -- a lot of good first division players (and a few new faces) who haven't made the leap to Premiership are playing in the Reserves. I think if Palace think they're going to stay up, they'll sell 3 or 4 out of Fredman, Shipperly, Black, Liegterwood, Powell, Torgelle, Kaviedes, etc. and try to use the money to bring in 1 or 2 more rent-a-players to try to avoid the drop.

11. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    So far, the way they're playing, they may not see the drop. If they are going to keep AJ, Routledge and Kaviedes are the ones most likely to go, Their main need is in mid-field, but they may have got a bargain in Lakis. Hopefully they'll let him start a game. I know he was an AEK starter that was basically dropped, but man he did good. Changed the game the minute he came in. Him and Hughes might make a hell of a pair feeding balls forward.

As for Liegterwood, I liked what I saw when he came in for Sorondo. Not polished and his inexperience shows, but has the making of a nice defender. Considering that Dowie is playing against the better teams a lone striker with a wall of bodies in the back, good defenders are needed, and he's still a young man.

It will be an interesting year and an interesting January transfer.

Liverpool next week should be a fun one considering that Liverpool was robbed of a win by Birmingham and is not exactly in a happy mood. Last two games Dowie has given up the middle and counterattacked. I'm wondering if he switches gears and tries to suprise a Liverpool team thinking that CP is coming in for a draw.

12. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    If he hasnt gotten a contract yet, I see a move in Routledge's future. CP is still in debt and Dowie seems to be trying to run a semi-competitive club for as little as possible because they don't have much to begin with (If I'm not mistaken, the team does not own Seldhurst park and its capacity is tiny by Premiership stndards). Dowie is basically buying overlooked (ie inexpensive) but skilled players that can follow orders and play the game Dowie dictates that maximizes the skills they still have. This is coupled with a relentless physical fitness program that allows the team to out last their opponent (even though they may not be able to out play them)

In the beginning of the season CP seemed to be preping itself for a dip back to division 1. But after the latest run the plan seems to (a) avoid relegation (b) keep payroll down (c) don't make the fatal mistake of spending a fortune on players and then going bankrupt if relegated and (d) extract as much profit from being in the Premiership as possible.

He's almost taking a 'Moneyball' approach to football. He's trying to be competitive by signing undervalued but good players that can do certain things (but not all things) well and extracting value and profit from what the player can do compared to what he is paid.

AJ is the heart (and biggest draw) of the club and is signed to a reasonable 5 year deal. He ain't going anywhere for anothe 4 1/2 years. Routledge has value and will probably be gone by the January transfers.

The interesting thing will be how he handles the other players. Dowie may just make the team solvent again simply by signing undervalued players, allowing them to show their worth, then sell them in order to repeat the process all over again. The indicator will be the difference in what CP buys and what they sell come January.

On Liverpool this Saturday - Liverpool has taken a hit by losing both Cisse and Baros. With a lessened threat to the CP back, I wouldn't be suprised if Dowie switches gears and has the team play a more fluid game and attack Liverpool. God knows we can out run them. Should be an intersting game.