Crowd for Saturday's tripleheader

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by trickyfool, Jul 14, 2005.

1. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are tickets going to be available for walk-up?

2. Supersuperman99

Supersuperman99 New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thats tight you get that out there too I know here at the colisium in L.A. thats no surprise I've been able to spark up at some mex games of course i always root agienst them.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have, quite a few (more than probably 99% on this board) ... and the cheers are pretty much a) when fans are told (the right music is played) to make noise, or b) only on third downs in general.

It's rarely fan organized, except for special games.

And BTW, for someone who was mentioning how you don't like suck chants, using the Pats as an example (where every other word seems to be a swear) seems kinda strange.

4. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have two differents topics going here. Lets not get our arguments mixed up Monty ;)

5. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA

yeah it got annoying around the 55th time they sang "ole ole ole ole ticos, ticos".....it was repetitive and at first sounded loud and then just became boring

6. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This, I believe, would be a great help for Revo AND USA games.

Patriots get the music pumping. Cheers follow. Or they use the scoreboard. Coordinated cheers follow.

7. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No offense, but that is the exact sign of an unsophistacted fan base in my opinion. The scoreboard says scream, so I guess I should yell. If you have been to a Celtics game in the past few years you will understand why I have an objection to this ... it seems the only time you get some real noise in the TDBanknorthFleetCenterGarden is if the scoreboard commands it, which is a real shame.

I agree that a scoreboard led chant of say REV-O-LUTION may get more people involved, but at what cost. The best part of going to Fenway in the past two years, is that more of the crowd is interested in the game, they will stand up and get real loud with two outs and two strikes in the sixth inning (not just the ninth) or in any big situation, without the help of a scoreboard. Unfortunately, as the Red Sox are now very cool and more and more people who wouldn't attend games in the past are at the park - you can notice that sometimes that the crowd is not as loud or it takes longer for the place to be loud in key situations.

Maybe it is just that I don't want MLS and the Revs to follow the Pats or the Celts, but to be their own team, with their own atmosphere and a fan base that is involved in and understands the game and are not just some scoreboard led drones sitting in the stands.

I think we all agree that the atmosphere at the Razor needs improvement, but how it is accomplished is something many of us disagree with - I just don't think scoreboard led chants are the way to go.

8. Biker Jim

Biker Jim Member

Apr 15, 2000
    Newton, MA
    I never thought I'd say it, but I was impressed at today's performance by Gillette's security. Unlike Tuesday, they were checking tickets, which kept the rowdiest Tico fans out of Sec. 112. And when they had to remove some people who weren't in their proper seats (people who'd drawn attention to themselves by smoking), security kept things calm and low key. Honduras' early scoring also helped quiet the Tico fans.

9. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe my FTFO to Craig T about Tuesdays problems did some good. :cool:

10. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    I did.

11. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    Announced attendance at the stadium was ~22,000, if I heard correctly.

12. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    22,108 according to MLSNet.

13. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes, you are right about scoreboard chant prompting being a sign of an "unsophistacted" fan base. Not sure where I stand on this so I'll say good follow up points and leave it at that. You really made me rethink the idea. It is ALWAYS better when such things are impromptu.

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On top of that, canned music being played while the fans are actually trying to do their own chanting just tends to piss off those fans. Just ask the KC fans, the Colorado fans, etc.

15. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice job, boys, you've got me convinced. I keep thinking back to NHL and NBA games in the Fleet Center where it seems the fans become "dumbed down" in that if there's nothing doing on the ice or court, after a while the only time they break into chant is when prompted. Like when the jumbotron flashes "Let's Go Bruins" followed by "Clap Clap Clap". Reminds me of a bad sitcom where the interns run around the stage holding placards that say "clap".

16. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Can't agree more. It just seems like in stadiums all over the place, where they seem to try to create an artificial atmosphere. I caught a bit of an 80's era Celts playoff game a short while back, in the old Garden, and the difference in the crowd was just so obvious. Admitedly it was a playoff game, back when the team was unreal, but I don't think that the new Garden would sound the same if you put the same team in there now. I've heard of stadiums in England trying this canned music/atmoshpere thing in the recent past, only to have the fans have it removed in short order. Although perhaps that would have happened here too, had places try to bring it in all at once, rather than have it kind of evolve over time, as I feel was the case in the US. Although I also wonder what it would be like to go to a game without all the noise from the sound system. Sadly, I'm sure we'll never find out.

I suppose there's also the theory about how rising ticket prices have taken the "working class, true fan" element out of the game. Having only heard about what they were like in the 70's and all, what's left of the Gallery God's for example? (well, what was left before the lockout?)

17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    You're not trying NEARLY hard enough!

Some people had some signs at a sporting event that offended you and you're using that as a rationale for racism? I'm really shocked that no one has called you on this.

There are a lot of US fans who were highly offended by the chants and banners at that game. While there is no doubt that those actions are rather despicable, there seems to be very little effort by those who are so offended to try and understand where those messages are coming from.

We are extremely sensitive about "our" disaster, yet seem almost oblivious to the disasters of others (particularly those we caused - throughout Latin America and elsewhere).

I think one of the things that makes (some) Latin Americans so hostile to Americans is that the average "gringo" is blissfully naive about what our governments have done to them - and we keep electing presidents who keep intervening in the internal affairs of countries all over the world . The latest excuse is to prevent another "our disaster" by inflicting disaster on others.

18. Kfrank

Kfrank New Member

May 9, 2005
    This is a soccer board. Post your inane anti US rhetoric on the Howard Dean/NY Times/Che Guevara websites, your fellow residents in the collectivist utopian fantasy.

19. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    When was the last time we had a moment of silence for all the innocent Iraqi kids killed in this inane war? Just because they're brown and Muslim their lives don't count as much? Your ignorance is exceeded only by your callousness.

20. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uno - When the hell did anybody say anything about the Iraq war?

Dos - You want to spout off on politics, go use that forum. This one's already clogged enough with the stupid chant argument.

Tres - You're really living up to your red nipple. The reputation system apparently does work.

Quatro - Somebody close this effing thread. Doesn't even serve a comic purpose anymore.

21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Our own government records acknowledge the truth. You are the one living in a fantasy-world apparently.

22. Rev79

Rev79 New Member

Aug 17, 1999
    Amen. Left, right or other I am SICK of reading political crap and the immature back and forth that it becomes on these boards. I enjoy sports as a temporary means of escape from the happenings of the world. If I wanted to listen to 'the president is an idiot' or 'the liberals are whackjobs', I'd be listening to talk radio right now rather than being on BigSoccer. Please let's stop dragging Revs threads into the same played-out political blather.

23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Okay with me, but when someone says "i absolutely hate all Mexicans" they should be called on it and it's pretty disappointing that no one else has.

I don't think we should be tolerating racism in the interest of "staying on topic".

24. mallon

mallon New Member

Feb 15, 1999
    rkupp, you went beyond the "not tolerating racism" in the last paragraph of your initial message on this topic.

Dan

25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. And as an FYI that's why I didn't bother responding. It had gone far enough off.

Anyway ... 22k on Saturday. Good/bad? Happy/disappointed?