Crowd at US-Japan game

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by asdf2, Feb 11, 2006.

1. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    I haven't seen it commented here but what an awesome turnout for the game. Way to go San Franciso, 37,000 show up, many at $90 tickets, to watch a meaningless friendly. There were maybe 15% Japan fans, no more. Atmosphere was pretty good too.

Now why did MLS just abandon this market again?

2. 2-0 Baby

2-0 Baby New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounded and looked good on TV...except for the huge space between the rt field wall and the narrow field...Sam's Army had a good turnout!

3. Revs007

Revs007 Member

Nov 11, 2000
    Boston

Because a one off at SBC Park featuring our national team is no 18 games at Spartan Stadium with the Earthquakes.

4. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    True but don't get me started. Back out BS attendance numbers for doubleheaders with the Columbian national team or whatever and SJ had a better than average MLS attendance in a crapp stadium with a team most fans thought would leave at year end.

5. thecheat48

thecheat48 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Washington, DC
    It was a nice turnout. I was surprised. Lots of walkups as the line was crazy long. And the place didnt even seem filled until about half way through the first half, at least.

I was up in the 300s and from my viewpoint (the whole field, basically), it was more than 15% Japan fans. But the US got an early jump and Japan had almost no offense in the 1st half, thus the Japan fans were quiet (at least in my general area, which was probably 60/40 US to Japan fans).

I'd say the only bad atmosphere part was the song they played after the US scored. Hideous. It was so bad I almost enjoyed it.

6. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

From my couch, there seemed to be a lot of Japanese fans at the game.

Anybody who went to the game care to comment?

7. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

While I agree with your point in this thread, I'd have to bump up your figure from 15 to at least 25% Japan fans. They had those two solid sections along the right field line, and there were pockets of Japanese supporters scattered in almost every section of the stadium. I was sitting four sections to the left of Sam's Army, and there had to be dozens of Japanese in the two sections near me trying to start "Nippon!" chants.

8. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    True, they have to quit with the canned music after a goal.

Overall the crowd looked and sounded impressive.

I wonder if there's MLS team in San Fran's future. Probably the hard part would be the cost of a soccer stadium in that area.

9. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

We scored a goal and the entire section around me rose up.

They scored a goal and the entire stadium shook.

10. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    in defense to the SJ supporters, i think from a TV stand point they had the best atmosphere in MLS second to the Home Depot center. PPl actually wearing the SJ blue jerseys that they obviously paid money for. Not just a bunch of little kid teams rocking their little league soccer jersey's.I really hope you guys get a team in that area.

THe thing i loved about the crowd (i wasnt there but saw on tv), was that the crowd consisted of mostly ADULTS cheering on the team. It made it seem like a serious major sports event. I mean a bunch of kids at the stadium is better than nothing but it takes away from the intensity and seriousness of it.

I couldnt see 38 thousand ppl showing up at any other market, great job San Fran

11. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have to say there were about 25% Japanese fans there last night, but they were disproportionately loud when their team scored. Wasn't a whole lot to get excited about before then. They were also disproportionately wearing their team's jersey.

But even with 25% Japanese fans, that still leaves about 30,000 others at the game. Definitely a respectable turnout. I was in the Sam's Army section and recognized a number of Earthquakes (RIP) fans. Sadness... :(

12. kemari

kemari New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I agree to about 25% being Japanese. Some of them came from Japan, but many Japanese live here in the Bay Area. So you can't discount them as being the local soccer fan base. There was a group of Japanese who had a banner that said "Aasukueikusu wo kaise" - Retrun us the Earthquakes.

13. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Or...what? :confused:

I'm not wild about it either, but if you're cheering loud enough, and are in a section where the cheering is loud enough, you won't hear it, I promise.

14. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the US Soccer marketing people MUST insist that the "Goals, Goals, Goals" song must be played, can we limit it to one playing per match? Especially NOT after we score.

15. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Not a chance in the City of San Francisco. You have to look to outlying, suburban areas (like Dallas' and Chicago's stadiums) where: (1) land acquisition and construction costs will be less; (2) NIMBYism will be significantly reduced (people will actually want the stadium and not complain about traffic and environmental impacts); and, (3) where the vast majority of families, and thus youth soccer players, reside (City of San Francisco is more and more a city without kids-- the School District is closing schools left and right).

16. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    True, if you are cheering loud enough you can't hear it. :)

There's no or what. I just wish they would quit with the "goal, goals, goals" song.

That song is so bad, people won't even sing along and it makes you feel like you're at an indoor soccer game instead of a USMNT game.

Just my two cents.

17. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Well, it IS what you're supposed to do.

I think if someone has enough fun at a US game, none of the bad stuff ought to really matter, and there was more than enough fun last night. That is, if you're looking for it.

18. Frankie Boy

Frankie Boy Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Like in LA...if you build it, they will come....

19. pupusa3000

pupusa3000 Member

May 15, 2001
    East Bay Area
    It was a great turnout lastnight. I was excited entering the stadium because mostly saw US fans but once the stadium filled up I saw the Japanese presence. From my vantage point, I'm willing to say it was 30% japanese fans.

What was pretty cool was all the Brazilian fans in Brazil jerseys rooting for the US in sec 314(?).

Also I noticed a lot of white guys supporting Japan, wearing their jerseys. But just because they're white doesn't necessarily mean their American, but it does throw you off at first sight.;)

BTW, a lot of hunnies last night too.:D

20. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    better turnout than I expected -- good atmosphere -- 25-30% japanese and a large turnout of others -- brits, croatians, italians.

The soccer market is a dilema -- real estate is damn expensive everywhere in the area, not just SF -- if spliting a stadium is an issue than I just don't see it happening...

21. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Large group of Brazil fans last night, same thing with the Croats and british. Great atmosphere, Hope it came across on the television. Cold and damp, perfect soccer weather.

22. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    To take your comment a bit further, concerning the soccer market here in the US, the advertising is what is preventing soccer from becoming a large sport. Think about all the money that goes into promotion/advertising for NFL, NBA, and to a certain extent MLB. It is crazy money, all sorts of dollars flying around. Look at the Superbowl and the cost for 30 second ads, and how much media coverage is given TO THE COMMERCIALS during the game, maybe even more than the game itself in some areas.

Soccer doesn't really allow a great deal of advertising during the game, only really at halftime. Due to the lack of advertising ability, the game here in the US will never be the game it is everywhere else. Unfortunately, it all comes down to the dollar, and there is just too much money involved in the NFL, NBA, etc. I think this is a major reason why there is a total lack of soccer coverage by ESPN's Sportscenter, it has to do with $$$$$$.

23. leeeel911

leeeel911 New Member

Jun 27, 2004
    Well, what is wrong with white people supporting the Japanese? Do you have a problem with Asians (or Asian Americans) supporting our US team? So you were thrown off at that sight? Man, you have to be more open minded than that. I just wanna let you know that I went on to the US vs Korea game at a bar in 02' and people were looking at me kinda funny.... Especially whites, and I was chanting USA!? wtf..... Yes, I am mixed race and I look more Asian than white and this is a free speech country so those people (even white American males) can support the Japanese team if they choose to.

There were lots of Japanese (Asian) hunies there, and there were quite a few Asian males/females supporting and wearing US fans clothings. Just remember, if they look Asians, doens't mean that they auto support the Japanese. Many people there are Americans of Asiatic origin.

Damn, hope this ulcerist racial mindset thinking will go away in time....

24. mpetrik

mpetrik Member

May 17, 2004
    East Bay
    As I walked around the stadium before the game, it was quite cold in the McCovey Cove area (didn't see any kayakers). This would have been behind where the US bench sat.

So I wondered why they would schedule a game in the middle of the coldest month (next to July of course) of the year beginnig at 8pm...why not a mid-afternoon game?

While I am sure TV had a say in it, one result is that a lot of kids who normally would have went with the parents for a day game stayed home.

The Quakes always had (wish I could write "have") a bunch of kids at the games, at least in the sections where I sat. Yet the place was always rocking...punctuated by the Donovan-in-effigy last May. So I think in soccer you can strike a balance of kids and intensity.

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Friday, 8pm PT -> Noon on Saturday in Japan.