Crouch was targetted by FIFA's head of referee's

Discussion in 'England' started by sinner78, Sep 5, 2007.

1. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
  2. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's unbelievable. If they're going to do crap like that, they're are worse people to keep an eye on. Why don't they look out for the entire Portugese diving team..

3. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Wow, I don't think I've ever heard of anything like that before, if it is true. He got called an awful lot at the WC as well for some very borderline/non-existant fouls when challenging for headers.

4. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Shameful but not suprising as FIFA is a ridiculously shameful and corrupt organazation, where else would someone get away with saying what that Trinidad honcho said, being Sepp Blather or singling out a player:rolleyes:

5. BusbyBabes

BusbyBabes New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Up North
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am not really surprised as he is penalised so frequently it is rediculous.

6. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    You could see Crouch was getting fouls called against him unfairly. At the time I was joking that he was getting penalised for being too tall. Strange that Crouch was singled out, he is not known for play-acting or for being a dirty player. Maybe he was casting too much of a shadow on the pitch and causing problems for the overhead helicopters :rolleyes:

7. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I guess the Ref in the England vs T&T game wasn't paying much attention during the meeting. Otherwise he might have spotted Crouch 'accidently' grabbing hold of that T&T players dreadlocks for leverage for the first goal. :)

8. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is FIFA, after all. Apart from some kleptocratic regimes that we could mention, there surely is no organisation which is more corrupt. Imagine embellishing a major sponsorship deal (MasterCard) and then getting promoted! Or making utterances and peddle influence as did that git from Trinidad & Tobago and getting away with it. In that context, what is a mere refereeing edict?

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Indeed. Complete non-story. Referees have meetings all the time and certain players get mentioned if they merit it. Crouch is one of those players, as he clearly cheats when jumping for high balls. Fully justified. It's just a pity that certain inept referees allowed him to continue to cheat during the World Cup.

10. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If he played for United your opinion would be a little different ;)

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    if he played for utd he would never have cheated in his life

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    LOL yap yap yap!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Pavlov

'The phrase "Pavlov's dog" is often used to describe someone who merely reacts to a situation rather than uses critical thinking'

So the fact that he got called the other 45 times when he DIDN'T commit a foul, doesn't matter.

:D

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If you cheat that many times then you lose the benefit of the doubt. It's not isolated to Crouch. If anything we should be (a) praising the officials for actively trying to stamp out cheating and (b) criticising Crouch for being stupid enough to try to gain an advantage despite his height and then continuing to cheat despite getting so many calls against him.

Of course it would. I've be crying at watching our fine attacking game disintegrate before my very eyes.

Are you trying to deny that Crouch cheats in that manner? He clearly does and was finally found out. That is it. A complete non-story.

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i know teso

just fun to rub u up the wrong way (no homo)

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So I assume we can expect a similar story where they targeted a load of the continental players for diving can we?

The only time anyone's ever stood up to THOSE sorts of shenanigans was that south american johnny who sent Totti off for a blatant dive. I wonder what happened after that. Clearly, if what you say is true, FIFA must have fully support their referees against such blatant cheating.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/wc/story?id=218111

'ROME, June 20 (Reuters) - FIFA president Sepp Blatter has launched a strong condemnation of refereeing at the World Cup, saying Italy had been the main victims on the way to their shock quarter-final elimination.'

Yeah, utterly consistent, as always :rolleyes:

16. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    It would be interesting to see who else FIFA highlighted as examples for refs to crack down upon. Poll only mentioned Crouch but there are many players who foul more than him. Rooney for one, just looking at that England squad. Never mind players who put in tackles as part of their game like Hargreaves, Terry and Rio.

Crouch has a good disciplinary record.

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The thing about Crouch is that, because of his size, defenders often start manhandling him BEFORE he makes any contact with them. In the WC I often saw people climbing all over him and only THEN did he start to push back... and HE gets the fould called against HIM???

He fouled other people about 2-3 times, (inc. the one against T&T), and he must have had about 15 called against him. It was bloody ludicrous.

Still, par for the course for FIFA I suppose. :rolleyes:

18. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's enough of the insults please..

19. CaptVimes

CaptVimes New Member

Jun 12, 2006
    OK sorry about that. I am willing to discuss it reasonably without insults.

20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A couple of points.

1. We're talking about Peter Crouch here. Big lanky fella, you can't miss him.
    2. Presumably FIFA must have a a crystal ball and just KNEW he was going to mouth off and swear at them. :rolleyes:

In any event it's nonsense. When he's been accused for the umpteenth time in a row of fouling someone, (when it's quite clear HE'S the one that's been fouled), I've seen him say something to the ref but descriptions of him mouthing off and swearing are a long, LONG way wide of the mark.

Also, as sin says, virtually ALL players in world football tend to rabbit on at the ref to a fairly large extent. To single him, (of ALL people), out is absolutely ludicrous.

21. CaptVimes

CaptVimes New Member

Jun 12, 2006
    OK 1 I did say Crouch in my point admittedly i also mentioned Rooney as well but I did mention Crouch I am sure you will agree.

2) No crystal ball was needed he was swearing aggressively in the qualifiers.

He swears regularly at referees, so its not way off the mark at all. There are better ways of protesting your innocence. Plenty of other English players manage to do it in a polite way too. The difference is in the premiership they tend to let these things go by.

I don't agree with FIFA officials picking out players prior to a tournament for the record. It smacks of corruption especially given who was head of the FIFA referees prior to the tournament but lost his post due to all the scandals in Italy.

Edit to add there is a difference between rabbiting and waving hands to swearing and screwing up your face in anger.

22. Naughty by Nature

Naughty by Nature New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Earth: Europe : ??
    Referees being told to keep an eye out for a certain player that is known for cheating is common. Poll only mention Crouch in his comment but he obviously neglected to mention the others they were told to "mark"

Applaud FIFA for this. If they are telling referees to keep an eye out for the likes of Robben, Cristiano Ronaldo, Daniel Alves and your Gilardino's.

23. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001

so you agree with the point of the thread..
    then dont bore everyone with long winded drivel about "swearing".
    As if foreign referee's have full command of english insults anyway.
    taxi for you ,yank

24. CaptVimes

CaptVimes New Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Yes I do but he does bring it on himself as I said with his confrontational aggression towards referees. Bit like yourself really who swore at the first opportunity. I imagine you would be similar to crouch if someone gave a bad decision against you. I assure you the foreign referees know what the F and C and W words mean. Most of them speak reasonable English which is another reason not to swear at them in English.

As for when to post what I will wait till someone dies and makes you god. I am also not a "yank" I am English. You can keep your very old and boring soccer am taxi jokes as well.

25. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    nobody gives a damn about swearing.
    otherwise there would be countless dissent red cards.
    its irrelevant to anything in the thread.