Croatian NT news, Qualifiers and Squad lists.

Discussion in 'Croatia' started by LordofTheFlies, Jul 23, 2016.

1. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    So with France 2016 now behind us we turn a new page and look to the future. Our captain(Darijo Srna) has stepped down from the NT. http://hrsport.net/vijesti/496206/n...prezentacije-sluzbena-objava-za-desetak-dana/. Hvala Captain, many fond memories.

With Srna's withdrawal from the NT we will be looking for a new captain. I would choose either Danijel Subasic or Ivan Perisic as his successor as both have shown qualities that befits the wearing of the captains armband.

This will also allow Sime Vrsaljko to become the starting RB. And with his move to Atletico Madrid I think he is a worthy successor to Srna in the backfield.

2. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    #2 LordofTheFlies, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Lets take a look at NT squad depth before the qualifiers start in September. We have depth in some areas. And in certain positions like LB, we just make do , until a real talent comes along. So lets begin:

Keeper: Danijel Subasic(AS Monaco) and Lovre Kalinic(Hajduk Split) are the first choice Keepers. But there is very little depth behind them. Ivan Vargic(HNK Rijeka) was selected on the squad for Euro's as the 3rd keeper. We have some young keepers U21 Keepers but I am not sure any are ready to be even squad players.

RB: With the retirement of Darijo Srna from the NT our main starting RB will be Sime Vrsaljko(Atletico Madrid). Tin Jedvaj(Bayer Leverkusen) is a player that could play here for the NT as he has played there previously for his club team. A squad player to watch is Dino Mikanovic(Aarhus GF and current U21 player) who has some shown some ability to play that position.

CB: Tin Jedvaj(Bayer Leverkusen), Dejan Lovren (Liverpool FC), Vedran Corluka(Lokomotiv Moscow), Domagoj Vida(Dynamo Kiev) and Gordon Schildendfeld(Dinamo Zagreb) and Duje Caleta-Car(Red Bull Salzburg). I think Dejan Lovren will be recalled to the NT again at some point. As he has some very strong aspects to his game. As for further depth we also have Jozo Simunovic(Celtic FC) and Igor Bubnjic(Udinese Calcio).

LB: Josip Pivaric(Dinamo Zagreb), Ivan Strinic (SSC Napoli) and Maric Leovac (PAOK Thesalonikki). None of the current LB's are standouts. An interesting name to watch is Antonio Milic(KV Oostende and current U21 player)plays LB for the NT and occasionally for his club team.

DM: Milan Badelj(ACF Fiorentina). With Josip Radosevic(SSC Napoli) and Marko Rog(Dinamo Zagreb) who looked good against Spain the way he harassed Iniesta in that midfield. Even though Rog could also play a more advanced attacking role too.

Central Mids: Luka Modric(Real Madrid). Marcelo Brozovic(Inter Milan), Ivan Rakitic(FC Barcelona), Mateo Kovacic(Real Madrid). with Depth provided by Mario Pasalic(AS Monaco) and Ante Coric(Dinamo Zagreb)

Wings: Ivan Perisic(Inter Milan), Marko Pjaca(Juventus FC). possibly Robert Muric(Ajax Amsterdam) is someone to watch this season if he gets the playing time there.

Attacking Mids: Alen Halilovic(HSV Hamburger) and Marko Rog(Dinamo Zagreb).

Secondary Striker: Ante Rebic(Eintracht Frankfurt).

Strikers: Mario Mandzukic(Juventus FC), Nikola Kalinic(ACF Fiorentina) and Andrej Kramaric(TSG Hoffenheim 1899. With possible squad players like Duje Cop(Cagliari Calcio) , Ante Budimir(UC Sampdoria) and Ivan Santini(Standard Liege)

3. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    Append to above list(forgot to add Nikola Vlasic):

Wings: Ivan Perisic(Inter Milan), Marko Pjaca(Juventus FC). possibly Robert Muric(Ajax Amsterdam) is someone to watch this season if he gets the playing time there.Nikola Vlasic(Hajduk Split) is the youngest captain in the HNL and is someone that in a 2 could be in competition for a spot on the first team as a squad player.

4. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    Squad was released for match against Turkey WC qualifying match.

Goalies: Danijel Subasic(AS Monaco), Lovre Kalinic(Hajduk Split) and Ivan Vargic(SS Lazio)

Defenders: Sime Vrsaljko(Atletico Madrid), Tin Jedvaj(Bayer Leverkusen), Dejan Lovren (Liverpool FC), Vedran Corluka(Lokomotiv Moscow), Domagoj Vida(Dynamo Kiev), Josip Pivaric(Dinamo Zagreb) and Ivan Strinic (SSC Napoli).

Midfielders: Luka Modric(Real Madrid). Marcelo Brozovic(Inter Milan), Ivan Rakitic(FC Barcelona), Mateo Kovacic(Real Madrid), Ante Coric(Dinamo Zagreb), Ivan Perisic(Inter Milan), Marko Pjaca(Juventus FC), Milan Badelj(ACF Fiorentina) and Marko Rog(Dinamo Zagreb).

Strikers: Mario Mandzukic(Juventus FC), Nikola Kalinic(ACF Fiorentina) and Andrej Kramaric(TSG Hoffenheim 1899) and Duje Cop(Sporting Gijon).

Fairly Predictable by Cacic.

5. Ivan Nitko

Ivan Nitko Member

Aug 24, 2016
    I really don't understand why Strinic is so underrated , he is actually a quite good player, the best LB we have nowadays, and will still be at least until Sosa came through( I really don't expect much from Anocic or P.Mamic. Erlic seems quite promising though.). The same way I think that Coric kid is quite overrated. Pasalic is way more deserving of a spot at the Senior NT than him, since he already has more experience at big level. Although he had just recovered from an injury, so that maybe could explain why he was left out this time.

6. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    ^ Welcome :) . Yeah I agree with everything you said. Like you said Pasalic just recovered from injury thus probably the omission. But he is currently without a club and I don't think he is in Chelsea's plans. I agree he would add something different to the team from what Coric currently adds. I think Strinic has been the best LB since Robert Jarni. But I think he has some limitations in his movements offensively and his quality on the ball. He also seems almost robotic at times but he is very good defensively. Not really sure about there being any current up and coming quality LB, as no young LB currently stands out to me. We'll see in a 2 or 3 seasons if any of the young LB's(Silvio Anocic, Petar Mamic, Borna Sosa or possibly even Armando Tikvic) has a break out season.

7. Ivan Nitko

Ivan Nitko Member

Aug 24, 2016
    The thing is that I see/read a lot of people talking bad about Strinic and I really didn't understand why. Although I see your point and agree that he have some limitations, but I don't think they are that glaring. I see talent in Sosa, at least for what he'd showed at the U17 NT. I can't say the same of Anocic or Mamic, who had being awful so far( EXPECIALY MAMIC). Erlic looks quite promising too. I'm not very familiar with this Tikvic, but one thing is for sure: If Germany WANTS him, they'll HAVE him, unless he REALLY feels Hrvat. But then again, if he doesn't feel it, why we would want him anyway?
    Also, I don't think Pasalic will be without a club for long. I'm sure there is a lot of them that want him. I read somewhere the Leganes, who was just promoted to La Liga, where interested in him, and I'm sure there are others.

8. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    Luka Modric has been made Captain, replacing the out going captain Darijo Srna. Not my first choice but it is what it is.

9. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    The Turkish squad was named for thWC qualifier. So here it is:

Golmani: Harun Tekin (Bursaspor), Onur Kıvrak (Trabzonspor), Volkan Babacan (Başakşehir)

Obrana: Ahmet Oğuz, Ahmet Çalık (Gençlerbirliği), Şener Özbayraklı, Hasan Ali Kaldırım, İsmail Köybaşı (Fenerbahçe), Çağlar Söyüncü (Freiburg), Serdar Aziz (Galatasaray)

Vezni red: Hakan Çalhanoğlu (Bayer Leverkusen), İrfan Can Kahveci (Gençlerbirliği), Mehmet Topal, Ozan Tufan, Salih Uçan, Volkan Şen (Fenerbahçe), Nuri Şahin, Emre Mor (Borussia Dortmund), Oğuzhan Özyakup, Olcay Şahan (Beşiktaş), Gökhan Töre (West Ham United), Cengiz Ünder (Başakşehir)

Napad: Cenk Tosun (Beşiktaş), Yunus Mallı (Mainz 05), Enes Ünal (Twente)

Golmani: Harun Tekin (Bursaspor), Onur Kıvrak (Trabzonspor), Volkan Babacan (Başakşehir)

I see some Turkish players like Arda Turan are not on the list. Injuries I guess.

Anyhow this game is closed will be played without a crowd in Zagreb, due to flares thrown during the Euro's. We''ll see how we this game goes, but I predict it will be a tough game to get up for without the crowd there.

10. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    Josip Pivaric will not be available for the game against Turkey on the Sept 05,2016. He has returned from a torn ACL , which happened last winter, so I am guessing he is still working through some issues as his body gets back to game speed and functioning how it should out on the field.

11. Ivan Nitko

Ivan Nitko Member

Aug 24, 2016
    I'm pretty confident. After all, we have a great team, even if our coach sucks.I believe we will start with a win.Ajmo Vatreni!

12. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    So one match in WC qualifying is now in the books and we have played Turkey to a 1-1 draw. I only caught the last 30 minutes plus those 6 minutes of stoppage time. I felt that we forced the ball in with crosses way too much. Need more width and then penetration into the box with runners looking for the seams. 3 really of good chances there in the end; one by Pjaca on the end of a cross and then Badelj made that good run into the box and then that nice interplay with Manduzkic and I think it was Pjaca also just before he was subbed off. Even with playing in an empty stadium we held most of the possession but could not finish.

Like I said is the toughest group in the qualifiers. All 3 games today finished as 1-1 draws. Finland drew Kosovo and Iceland also drew Ukraine. This draw is not great for us, but I think Cacic really needs to rethink how to get more width and then have players looking for seams in the box and making runs into that box.

13. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    #13 LordofTheFlies, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    So found these highlights. Really should of scored a few more goals considering how we attacked them from beginning to end. I would also like to see how Nikola Kalinic would fare if he started. I just thing Mandzukic should come off the bench at this point in career.

14. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    I feel though that Cacic really needs to call up a LB not named Ivan Strinic, at least for my sanity. The few times Turkey attacked, they did it on Strinic's side. I know @Ivan Nitko may disagree somewhat but I think we have given Strinic ample opportunity, and I feel we need to try either Pivaric(when healthy) or/and call up Leovac(PAOK) and Milic(Fiorentina).Or maybe Borna Barisic(Osijek) has grown enough to get a chance. But someone else needs to be given a chance at that position. I look at the names that have played in that LB since Jarni retired and in some cases its just not pretty(actually in every case it has not been good). We've had CB's playing on the LB(LW in the 3-5-2 formation) position(Simunic, Zivkovic, Simic, Tudor), DM(Nikola Pokrivac), AM/Wings(Danijel Pranjic, Marko Babic) and LB(Anthony Seric and now Ivan Strinic) and not one of them has done much offensively. And some were never good enough defensively either.

Its time to hand the reigns full time to either Pivaric, Milic or Loevac and see if one of them can do better. I know Niko Kovac called up Leovac and Milic at different time and they were tested in friendlies but they need to have a real run out there. At minimum as a backup to Pivaric(and if he is not healthy then both should get called up)

15. Ivan Nitko

Ivan Nitko Member

Aug 24, 2016
    I still think you should cut the guy some slack. Remember that he gets nearly zero playing time at Napoli( Although it's his own fault for not getting the hell out of there ASAP, so serves him right!), so it's only natural that he gets a little rusty. But I doubt Pivaric would be any better, I don't think he is even at the same level as Strinic. Maybe Milic would be worth a try, but not Pivaric. Anyway, I think Old Cacic should have dared a bit more and subbed Badelj for Rog at some point at 2nd half. It would give the team more speed and energy. Would be risky, I know, but I think it would be worth a try.
    On another note: Do you know who was the blondie on the Press tribune? Man, what a knockout!

16. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    The squad for Finland and Kosovo was released this morning. Marko Rog and Ante Coric were dropped, as they are both with the U21 team. Both of these games are away games so we will see how the team performs away from home.

Vratari: Danijel Subašić (Monaco), Lovre Kalinić (Hajduk), Ivan Vargić (Lazio)

Braniči: Šime Vrsaljko (Atletico Madrid), Vedran Ćorluka (Lokomotiv), Domagoj Vida (Dynamo Kijev), Dejan Lovren (Liverpool), Ivan Strinić (Napoli), Josip Pivarić (Dinamo), Tin Jedvaj (Bayer Leverkusen)

Vezni: Luka Modrić (Real Madrid), Ivan Rakitić (Barcelona), Ivan Perišić (Inter), Milan Badelj (Fiorentina), Mateo Kovačić (Real Madrid), Marcelo Brozović (Inter), Marko Pjaca (Juventus)

Napadači: Duje Čop (Sporting Gijon), Mario Mandžukić (Juventus), Nikola Kalinić (Fiorentina), Andrej Kramarić (Hoffenheim)

17. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Nikola Kalinic needs to play in the 1st squad. Mandzukic gave what he could give. Corluka star, old & spor, slow. Vida isn't so clean in his head, he needs to concentrate more.

Dejan Lovren will spend his NT time on the bench.

Hard to say, why is Lovre Kalinic 2nd goalkeeper, if Ivan Vargic plays in Lazio?

Josip Pivaric and Ivan Strinic - hard to say which one is weaker. Strinic lost the crucial ball against Portugal, EURO 2016.:D

I doubt that Vrsaljko can survive in Atletico. He could end in weaker Spanish club during the winter break. Juanfran, Filipe Luis Kasmirski, Godin seem pretty confident. Also, they are active in attacking assignments.

So, I'll keep with Subasic, Vargic, Vrsaljko, Corluka, Lovren and Jedvaj.

Central players are OK. Kovacic and Brozovic are the weakest here.

Attackers are all bad, only Kalinic is in good shape. I am not so optimistic about these qualifications. Some players are old and they live on some outdated credits. Hard to expect six points home-away against Iceland, Ukraine, victory against Turkey in Istanbul. This group will have a lot of draws.

Against Ukraine, Croatia has 3-3-1 history score, against Turkey 3-5-0, against Iceland 3-1-0. Very disturbing draws.

Against Finland and Kosovo, Croatia is without history traces. Croatia could end as third pretty easy or 2nd and lose in additional qualifications.

GNK Dinamo Zagreb is again terrible in the Champions League.

Ludogorets, Celtic, PSV, Rostov, CSKA have more points and they are not much better than Dinamo. In this season, Dinamo will have this goal difference 2-18 and 0-0-6 score.

At least 3-0 defeat against creative and fast Sevilla. Lets not forget their supporting fans and the Andalusia ambient.:rolleyes:

18. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    @Gibertsson , you come off as being neurotic. Why even watch(or in this case comment on) sports if you can't give constructive criticism. This guys sucks, that guy can't run, that player is too slow, this team has no talent.... etc... is from the Donald Trump school of speaking without thinking. Not sure what your posts are supposed to tell me? They are not informative, just critical.

@Ivan-Nitko , your right I was hard on Strinic, my bad :(. I think the NT needs someone with a big picture who sees where the next LB is playing right now and identifying them and working with them to improve their games. I think Antonio Milic is a player to at least look out for, as he is playing consistently in Belgium, he seems to be splitting time between LB and CB(this season he has started as LB in 4 games and as CB in 3 games). He is 22 years of age right now. Last u21(he is our starting LB for the U21 squad) game against Georgia, he assisted on both goals. Just not sure how good defensively he is as he is tall at 1.90 meters.

And your right Pivaric has not shown much in the Champions League this season. As I have seen parts of a couple games in which Dinamo played in. We do play a friendly next month against Northern Ireland, so that could be an opportunity to try someone else.

19. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #19 Gilbertsson, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    The game against Turkey showed a lot of problems. Every experienced coach, like Terim, Low, Santos, etc. is in advantage, compared to Croatian coach. Expert factors consider Strinic, Vida, Pivaric, Cop, Mandzukic, Kramaric as the weakest players in Croatian team. I mean mostly on technical abilities, not only basic running. I agree that Croatian current players are the best since 1990. and a lot of them play in great clubs.

Also, they have made glorious texts about Leon Benko, Franko Andrijasevic, Matej Mitrovic, Mato Jajalo, Domagoj Antolic, Marko Leskovic, Adrian Semper, Ivan Kelava, Oliver Zelenika, Marko Livaja...they are mentioned in media, just so someone could buy them. After that, they all vanish from the scene.

Also, they don't consider Croats from abroad, talented players who play for Germany, Switzerland, USA...Pulisic, Drmic, Toljan.

Strinic doesn't even play in Napoli, 15 matches since 2015. He could have at least 40,50 matches in normal circumstances....2 Serie A seasons, Champions League, Europa League, Italian Cup. He rests probably, while he achieves more experience.:D 29 years.

Something is wrong in presentation of all these players. A lot of texts, years go by, Croatia never wins anything. There is no winning mentality in all these generations since 1998. They win and end in fear against the next opponent. They even glorify defeats against some teams, just because they are small, against Brazil in Germany 2006, against Brazil in Brazil 2014, they looked "good" even though they have lost 3-1, against Spain in Poland 2012, they looked "good" just because they were equal and lost at the end. Team doesn't have energy for 3,4 matches in a row. They always justify with the sentences, season just started, or it was a long season...if they lose in September, October, June.

Croatian opponents celebrate titles, medals, Champions League and Europa League points.

Observe Irish club DUNDALK, they are the first Irish club which collects points, with their lower budget, they have 4 points against Zenit, AZ Alkmaar, Maccabi...and Dinamo Zagreb always talks about the European Spring in the UEFA competitions. People tolerate bad results, bad players, bad coaches.;) Other countries don't give chances to weakness and justification of this same weakness.:thumbsup:

They could win against Finland and Kosovo...but they will glorify this, like they have achieved something spectacular.:D I expect six points. But after that we could see the real matches against Ukraine, Turkey and Iceland.
    Maybe I sound negative, but it always happened before, why not now.:p

Also, Croatia always underestimates everyone. Their approach says that, same as their unofficial statements.:confused: Since the World Cup 1998, they have underestimated these teams: Ireland and Scotland in EURO 2000 qualifications, Ecuador and Mexico at the World Cup 2002, Switzerland at the EURO 2004, Japan and Australia at the World Cup 2006, Turkey at EURO 2008, same as Poland and Austria...they bragged that they have won against Poland with the B squad. Again Ukraine in World Cup 2010 qualifications, Ireland at EURO 2012, Cameroon and Mexico at the World Cup 2014 and this recent EURO against Czech, Turkey, Portugal..because Portugal has only Ronaldo and no one else. But I knew that Portugal is a great team with great coach. Hard to mention that they always justify with referee errors, hot days.

20. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    So Luka Modric is out of the squad as he picked up an injury and won't be available. Marko Rog(Napoli) has been called up in his place.

The Kosovo squad has been released

Goalies: Samir Uikani(Pisa), Granit Koshi(Besa Peje), Falmur Neziri(Feronikeli)
    Defence: Loret Sadiku (Kasimpasa), Amir Rrahmani (Spliti), Ardian Ismajli (Hajduk Split), Leart Paçarada (Sandhausen), Fanol Perdedaj (FSV Frankfurt), Bajram Jashanica (Skënderbeu), Lum Rexhepi (Helsinki), Avni Pepa (Vestmannaeyar)

Midfield/strikers : Milot Rashica (Vitesse), Bernard Berisha (Anzhi), Hekuran Kryeziu (Luzern), Alban Meha (Konyaspor), Eroll Zejnullahu (Union Berlini), Valon Berisha (Salzburg), Besar Halimi (Mainz), Arbër Zeneli (Heereveen), Herolind Shala (Kasimpasa), Bersant Celina (Twente), Sinan Bytyqi (Manchester City), Vedat Muriqi (Genclerbirlig), dhe Albert Bunjaku (St. Gallen)

21. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    [​IMG]

What do you think about this photo?

[​IMG]
    Lets vote.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cult of prsut

[​IMG]

Descendants of wine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    Dejan Lovren is also injured and he will not be available for the upcoming qualfiers. Matej Mitrovic(HNK Rijeka) has been called up to take his place.

23. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    Ivan Rakitic has bowed out due to an injury and Domagoj Antolic (Dinamo Zagreb) has been called up.

24. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Interactive football projection

[​IMG]

25. LordofTheFlies

Dec 9, 2015
    Marko Pjaca now too has now too bowed out to an injury. I don't see any call up currently to replace. Man this cadre of players for the games against Kosovo and Finland gets smaller by the day.