Croatian Forum?

Discussion in 'Central & Eastern Europe' started by SS2006, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    There doesn't seem to be enough supporters for a Croat-only or a Serb-only board. A Balkan board would be a purely geoghraphical grouping, helped by the cultural and linguistic similarities of the countries, but in no way political.

However, if a Balkan board will lead to intolerant and offensive postings like the above, I definitely will not create one.

2. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    The word Balkan carries a very strong negative connotation in Croatia.
    Maybe south-eastern Europe would work for everyone.

3. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Shurik, I concur that "Balkans" is not a good idea. There are no Croats that go around saying that they're from the Balkans.

Aloisius- There already is a Southern Europe forum.

4. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    What about "The Southern Slavs"?

5. crvena_zvezda

crvena_zvezda Red Card

Oct 21, 2004
    in Ur EyeS
    Yugoslavia is better

6. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sign me up for wanting a Croatian forum.

7. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    It's a united board ot nothing. I don't want a situation where Slovenians and Bosnians will request their own subforums.
    You guys will just have to learn to coexist peacefully at least within this medium. And if you don't, down it goes in a hurry.

Is this a deal?

8. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    Metro, I wrote South-eastern Europe. That is if people want a sub-forum for our part of the world in the East-Europe section. Maybe you would like a sub-forum in the southern Europe department. In that case I don’t know how it could be named.

@ Shurik
    south-Slavs won’t work if you want to include Albanians

9. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    I have seen other football forums with a Craotian forum, but they are very deselate to say the least.

You could have a Balkans forum as Shurik suggested, but I know of only a few people who are interested in the Slovenian/Croatian and Serbian leagues. But then again, it could attract some fans torwards posting. Some may feel awkward posting in "eastern europe"

I suppose its more "southern europe" really.

But what does that leave eastern europe? Bulgaria, Romania and Albania are always a sticky patch for me, as they are both really. And I include SCG and Hrvatska in all of this.

Why not - former Yugoslavia? or this too negated in the past?

It would be nice to have a croatian forum though....

AJMO!!!!! :D

10. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    The Forum request is put in and it will be called "The Southern Slavs".

Albanians, I figure, would fit better into Southern Europe, while ex-Yugos are taditionally lumped with other Slavic people in the East.

11. tomvandamn

tomvandamn New Member

Apr 9, 2003
    new york
    we requested a croatian forum and most of the votes on here are for that

not for all these other suggestions youre imposing

trying to get political here for what?

12. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    There were a lot of suggestions for an ex-Yugoslav forum. It is our policy to be as inclusive as possible and it is our suggestion for you to be as tolerant as you can.
    Absolutely no ethnic warfare will be allowed here.

13. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure to get attacked for this, but I think this move to create a Croatian forum and then a 'South Slavs' forum is a bit much. There have been more posts about creating a Croatian forum than there ever were posts about Croatian football! Is this really necessary? Is it too much of a problem to just have a few threads going about Croatian football within the Eastern Europe section?

14. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    I think that was my concern, with the name ex-Yugoslavia too. It does kind of suggest the whole Balkans ethnic issue and rivalry associated with that.

But I would hope that Zagreb and Split fans would be more inclined to cause bother than Croatian and Serbian fans.

I kinda think that there isn't the depth in numbers, we would need to wait for a few more surely. I only have a very very small interest in it as a whole.

If I were Albainan, I would be in severe doubt as to where to post.

15. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, the ex-USSR subforum is doing well with only 4-5 regular posters, so I thought if the same amount of people were interested primarily in Balkan football, a subforum wouldn't be too much to ask. There seem to be that many interested in Croatia and 2 or 3 interested in Serbia.
    It really makes sence to just group them and hope that, with some skillfull moderating, things will go nicely.

16. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well whatever...if it goes well, then great. It just seems like overkill to me. But I probably will never post anything about Croatian football anyway, so maybe it doesn't really matter what I think. I like having all the countries thrown together and would only see a need to separate things when it reaches a point of 20-30 posts a day about different countries and it's just too much to keep track of. Over the last year, it's about 1-2 posts a day (not including Poland and ex-USSR), so to me I don't think it's necessary.

But...whatever.

17. crvena_zvezda

crvena_zvezda Red Card

Oct 21, 2004
    in Ur EyeS
    it is not only CROATIAN football and this is not about who wont post , just who will post so if u wont post keep ur mouth closed

Bog Cuva Srbi

18. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever :rolleyes:

I've been posting stuff in this forum for several years. I can say what I'd like about changes to it. It doesn't mean that people have to agree with me or do what I wish, but I think I can have my say. I think I'm being reasonable and I'm admitting that since I won't really post topics on this subject it doesn't directly involve me.

I will not keep my mouth closed. If you don't like my posts, don't read them.

19. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    Play nice, crvena.
    albionroad's opinions are as valuable as yours.

20. crvena_zvezda

crvena_zvezda Red Card

Oct 21, 2004
    in Ur EyeS
    i really dont want continue these kinds of stupid arguments but about ur last sentences i must say i didnt ask for ur permission about reading ur posts or not

21. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    There is no need for a new forum. People can post their threads on the subject in southern Europe or eastern Europe, whichever they please.

22. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Shurik-

Back on Nov 7, you said that if there are at least 4 or 5 people whose primary area of interest is Croatian, a subforum will be created. We have had more than that respond requesting one, so why will there not be one?

One of the non-Croat fans here has helped prove my earlier point that something like a "Southern Slavic" thread would simply degenerate into childish posts regardless of how it's moderated.

What would be the difference if I started a Croatia vs Sweden thread here in the "Eastern Europe" forum or in the proposed "Southern Slavs" forum? Absolutely none... and I personally would not be interested in posting there. That's why I believe that there should be a Croatia sub-forum.

I hope you reconsider your most recent thoughts on this subject since it would then be better off to leave everything as-is, in my opinion. But the question was thrown out, and it appears that the demand is there.

[​IMG]

23. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    I am confident in the moderating abilities of our staff to keep disrepsectful and intolerant posts out of the subforum. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to be offended about the desision to group all ex-Yugoslavian countries into one subforum. There are certainly enough geographical and historical reasons to do this.
    Nobody is offended at the ex-USSR forum, that I know of.

My suggestion is for everyone to grow up.

24. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    My suggestion is to leave the things the way they are.

25. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Shurik-

I don't believe you can ask for people's opinion about a Croatia forum and then say "grow up" when there are valid points given about why it shouldn't be called something else. In that case, why ask if there's interest in the first place?

It's not a moderating issue. It's about giving Croat and even non-Croats a subforum to discuss matches, events, etc.

Comparing the former USSR and the former Yugoslavia is like comparing apples and oranges. The USSR, for the most part, broke up peacefully while there was a lot of bloodshed in the latter. You cannot compare the two.

For example, if BigSoccer decided to lump the Israel forum (currently in the Europe forum) into the "Mideast" forum and their fans objected, would you tell them to "grow up"? They deserve their own forum, just like Croatian fans are politely asking for one.

If not, no problem, and leave things as-is.