Cristiano Ronaldo - 'O Nosso Prodígio' Thread 4 [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Força Sporting, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    3 goals:eek:

dont bet on it, Ronaldo has never scored a hat-trick ever. However he technically scored a hattrick against Azerbaijan recently, but that spectaculat bicycle kick goal was wrongly disallowed (replays showed the ball was clearly over the goal line).

Hes had plenty of braces though.

My personal prediction for the big game is
    Arsenal 1-2 Man United

Ronaldo and Larsson scoring for United.

Here is an article... according to Henrik Larsson, Cristiano Ronaldo is the best player in Europe including Ronaldinho etc http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=430128&in_page_id=1779

2. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

All of that sounds about right to me. I want Ronaldinho and Ronaldo to make a commercial together. Like a new version of Brasil vs. Portugal...one on one maybe in different barrios of the two countries...It would be beautiful:)

3. chiaroscuro

chiaroscuro New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    I know going on and on about the debate of Ronaldo's development abroad vs. remaining in Portugal is pretty pointless, considering whats done is done. I do think, in light of the recent discussion about Quaresma's time at Barça, it’s important to reemphasize a point though.

I don’t want to argue the validities of the EPL vs. SCP because I don’t think it matters where Cristiano would have gone- he would have always been a talent. The EPL, more specifically Man United, did have something far more significant to offer him though than any other club or league- Ferguson.

Ferguson’s attitude that no player is bigger than their team or manager has created numerous winning sides and refined many gifted players. Very few managers would be willing to bench their star striker. It seems to me Quaresma and Ronaldo were pretty even in potential when they left Sporting. Ronaldo made 3 goals in 25 appearances during the 02-03 season, while Quaresma made 5 in 31 apps. Quaresma was even hailed as the “lone star” in some cases. You can say what you want about Quaresma’s ego or whatever was his downfall at Barça, but Ronaldo was reasonably criticized for things like showboating, selfishness on the ball, and a temper when he showed up at Man Utd. Maturity is of course part of his excelling, but allowing an ego to go unchecked is just as detrimental to a player as anything else. Maybe he would have got there eventually, but I definitely think Fergie sped the process along. He’s learned to be a team player, learned when and where the tricks were appropriate, and learned to cut down a lot of other nonsense (ie diving, imaginary card waving).

Also, for all those complaining about the English always hailing Rooney and criticizing Ronaldo, I honestly think there is something positive to be said for that. Rooney has had a huge burden placed on his shoulders, and looking at his peers in the England squad, I doubt that burden will be lifted anytime soon. The English need to hail Rooney, because their future in international tournaments is looking pretty bleak. Just as people in this forum justify some of Ronaldo’s actions, because deep down you’re really excusing him because he plays for Portugal, the English do the same. But onto the positive- Ronaldo came back to play in a country where pretty much everyone despised him. There is obviously great satisfaction in playing well, getting a goal, but the satisfaction must be doubled when you do those things in front of a crowd that can’t stand you. He’s a hard worker and very few people in other leagues would constantly ask him to prove himself, but he is constantly being challenged by the whole of England (outside Man Utd supporters) and constantly answering critics on the pitch, simultaneously having to up his performance. I think the EPL, English audience and media are always going to demand more of him (because of the WC, because he’s a Man United player, because he’s one of the stars of the EPL but isn’t “homegrown”) and he is always going to at least try and meet their expectations or exceed them. Complacency, as I witnessed today in the loss to Arsenal, can only be damaging in this game. And surely Ronaldo will never be complacent in England.

4. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown

Great post.

You summed up what I wanted to say about ronaldo vs Quaresma in about 200 lines less then what I said:D

5. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Welcome to BigSoccer newbie, great first post too.:)

6. IslandBoy

IslandBoy Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    Direct Link:

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/news_story/?ID=194112&hubname=

7. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I love the quote "Gone-aldo":D

8. Saram

Saram New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Russia
    Has anybody got his full statistic?
    I mean, before he transered to MU:
    goals/games for Sporting. And for u-21/19/17 others NT? Do realy to find video for that period in inet? (dowload his goals for junior teams, etc.?)
    And where to look for his debute at NT, match against Kazakhstan? Does anyone know?

9. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Try wikipedia. BTW welcome to BigSoccer newbie.:)

10. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I read that exact article in the Montreal newspaper. If Ronaldo ever become as good as the Brasilian Ronaldo...watch out.

11. Saram

Saram New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Russia
    OK!)) Thaks a lot)))

12. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    C. Ronaldo with another goal today(pk) in a 4-0 drubbing over Watford!

13. BARTENDER 24/7

BARTENDER 24/7 New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    My Italian friends are telling me He is overated and that anyone can score in England, but if he played in Italy he would do nothing, I for one want him to join Juventus just to shut them up, Italians are very cocky since the World Cup Victory, now more than ever.
    :cool:

14. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    :). They do have tough defenses. BTW welcome to BigSoccer newbie.

15. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  16. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    oh yes, one of the stupidest arguments Ive heard many times. According to alot of the serie a fans, its easy to score in england or spain but then in italy its a different story:rolleyes:

Its all a load of crap.

17. m a n n y

m a n n y New Member

Oct 11, 2004

I reckon Shevchenko has something to say about this.

18. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Bull's eye.:D

19. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    [​IMG]

20. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    it doesnt matter if C ronaldo is playing in England, Italy , or Spain
    or Portugal... or Mongolia

he will dominate whereever he is, becasue the fact is he is in the top 3 or 4 best players in the world atm.

21. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    LMAO:D :D

22. BARTENDER 24/7

BARTENDER 24/7 New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    No, geeze no I'm not Italian.

23. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Mongolia....Why in god name would someone go to that impoverished country to play the futebol.

24. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Because it is there dream. I don't see a problem, he would do what Beckham would supposely do in America, bring Futebol to a whole new landscape.

25. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Beckham went to the USA for 1/4 of a billion dollars. The biggest signing in sporting history.

In Mongolia they might have a pond.....with a rock maybe.