Cristian Zapata News and Comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by crzdcolombian, Oct 26, 2006.

1. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah think he's due for a position change! Meant Jeison Murillo

2. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I know this dude is going to make the final roster and it upsets me!!

Pekerman is just too loyal to his main roster.

3. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    When falcao didnt play for 6 months he wasnt called for wcq and for copa america 2016.........

Zapata cant saty inactive

4. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yea but Falcao could also barely walk and was useless for close to 18 months after injury

Also Zapata and Falcao are two very different players. Mean way different things to our team. Plus Zapata is replaceable. Falcao was not and still is not.

Mina and Sanchez are way better defenders not because of where they play but because they are plus are 10 years younger.

Oscar Murillo is arguably as good or better.

Jesion to me is a much better CB.

Tesillo isn’t as good but get the job done and actually plays weekly.

Espinosa again has form and should be given a shot.

Who can replace Falcao? All our strikers are hot/cold players....

They good for a month suck the next

5. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    FACTS:

Falcao en la temporada 2014-2015..........(monaco y manchester) jugo 30 partidos y convirtio 7 goles y realizó 7 asistenicas. Busca los highlights

Ustedes han sugerido que llamen a la seleccion a quintero, duvan, muriel........por un rendimiento mas bajo.

Eso no es estar inactivo. Zapata si esta inactivo.

En el chelsea fue donde realmente jugo solo 8 opartidos y marco un gol

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Zapata played decently against Korea and even scored a goal.

It will be interesting to see if Pekerman leaves him off the roster due to no playing time. there's still a few weeks for that to change though.

7. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    for that match in november , montella was still tje coach and zapata was playing at least a match in the week.

his situation now is completely different.

he is inactive

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As I alluded to before, it will be interesting to see if he gets called up and if not who is called up in his place.

9. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Jesion, Oscar Murillo, Espinosa, Tesillo

Basically 3 CBs Oscar, Mina, Sanchez then a utility player.

Tesillo/Balanta can play LB
    Jesion/Zapata can play RB

Think depending on who else gets called and if a Legit 2nd LB pops up will make the difference. Because Balanta and Tesillo are awful options.

If Lerma wins the starting spot in MF then a CB who can play RB could be called. Not like we have a ton of options their either.

Pekerman has been calling guys who can play more then 1 spot.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Jeison has not played either due to injury and there is no indication he will start any time soon. There is a report that he is training and ready to play. Let;s see what happens there.

Oscar I agree,

Espinosa has never been given a chance. I don't know if that will happen next month but he is playing a lot.

Tesillo has mainly been used as a LB. And he sucked there. He also is not that good as a CB but that is up to Pekerman to decide.

He may just stick with Zapata if those are the best options.

Azucarero repped this.
  11. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I get everybody's concern about playing time. It matters. However, I feel like some of us are abandoning empiricism/common sense when basing their WC roster projections on club form.

Pekerman has started Zapata when he wasn't playing for club in the past. He trusts Zapata. Zapata is the only CB who's started in or even been to a World Cup. Besides Jeison, he's the only one who's started Copa Americas (Mina got a throw away start in Centenario). He's continually been the first choice CB for the past 4 years. These things matter. Experience, especially to a guy like Pekerman, matters.

Zapata is going to be on the roster people. Thinking or hoping differently is irrational. Especially when you consider Pekerman's insistence on Yepes and Perea in the 2014 cycle.

Yepes, despite weak performances for Colombia and shoddy playing time while with Milan, continued to be an undisputed starter. It payed dividends at the WC, where, as Pekerman believed, experience did matter. Moreover, he hung on to the hope of Perea recovering in time for the WC until the last minute. This, when Perea was becoming worse and worse and barely playing for Atletico. Honestly, Zapata might have been benched in favor of Perea...

I love Davinson and Mina. But they have yet to build up the trust Zapata has. It's possible Pekerman even starts the two of them, despite their relative inexperience on the big stage for Colombia. (Mina has, of course, proven his poise in the qualifiers) But Zapata will be on that roster. If Sanchez has a match like he did against Argentina, Zapata (or Murillo) will be right back in the lineup.

As for Bernardo...the guy can get transferred to Real next season and start every single match. I would not trust him over Zapata, even if Zapata hadn't started a match in a year. That's what it comes down to, people. Trust. When you're picking your defense, you pick who you trust, not, as with strikers, whoever has the hot hand.

Jeison lost Pekerman's trust at some point, and that's why his name is up in the air. Like Ospina, the trust that Zapata has built up supersedes the lack of playing time. I get that Ospina doesn't have viable replacements while Zapata does, but take this into consideration:

Imagine Armani nationalized tomorrow. Would you guys start him over Ospina? I, personally, wouldn't. You can be damn sure Pekerman wouldn't either. You've got to look at these things from Pekerman's eyes...

Rant over/

12. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    zapata en estos 4 años nunca habia estado tan borrado como desde que asumio gatusso.

va completar 3 meses sin jugar un solo minuto

@Azucarero tiende a pensar que es lo mismo no ser titular siempre a estar conpletamente inactivo sin minutos desde hace 3 meses.

no es lo mismo no jugar siempre a no jugar nunca

son situaciones diferentes

13. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't think he thinks that at all.

HomietheClown repped this.
  14. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Valid and legit points.

All of us probably want Mina/Davinson to start together. But like you say zapata has that leadership and experience that the other CB’s don’t have. Although I think Davinson is light years ahead of zapata (CL run in 2016, Europa league run in 2017 and EPL/CL run in 218). Mina who is likely to see limited action at Barca does not help his cause (how many games does Anyone honestly think he will get by May for FCB? My guess is 8-10). In yepes case he transferred from Milan to Atalanta prior to WC2014 to get match fitness before Brazil

My memory is off but was Perez’s exclusion in 2014 due to injury or bad form? I just remember LP being a walking yellow card each time the ball was near him at the end of his Colombia run.

FYI I heard Jeison had a really good game today to help Valencia win.

Part of me wishes we can try a 3 man back line (3-5-2 or 3-4-3) in the next friendly that could answer any questions about which defenders to use

15. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Too late to try 3 in the back!!!

The China and Korea games where we should have tested players and formations but Pekerman in his infinite wisdom and lazy lazy ass scouting did neither

Furnaccio repped this.
  16. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Given that we are going to be missing certain players for the next two friendlies, I think there is still time to try out new formations and/or tactics. I won’t hold my breath though for that to happen.

17. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    China and South Korea are pretty weak teams. Korea is decent and a good time to try it. But you really want to do weird stuff against France?

18. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    I think that Pekerman is going to make us play in a different way in the WC either way.

Main reasons:
    James' position at Bayern and that all eyes are going to be on him.

Falcao will be our 9 so Pekerman will probably make Colombia play for him no matter how.

and maybe the most important is that all other teams know how we play and Pekerman will not give that advantage so easily.

Furnaccio repped this.
  19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As pointed out in the other thread Jeison started today so he is looking more like an option again. Although he is in a similar situation as Muriel where even when he plays well has been ignored.

Zapata rarely gets ignored even when he is not playing.

Azucarero repped this.
  20. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It’s a friendly - the top priority is thAt our fringe players all get optimal playing time. We pretty much know who is our starting 11. At the end of the day we need a team of 23 starters and the other 12 need to be ready to jump in at any given time. Players like Mojica, duvan, izquierdo, barrios, chara, etc need to get comfortable with playing time. I hope that all 6 subs happen by the 70th minute.

Whatever the result is from France I don’t care. If anything a win could probably be the worst thing that could happen bc it may send the wrong message. I just keep thinking of the friendly in 2007 when we beat Paraguay and then faced them in the first game of the coPa america and we all know how that turned out.

21. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ok but why only call 23 and have like 4 injured guys then?

Pekerman is not as godlike as you guys make him
    Out to be!! He is also insanely insanely awful at scouting.

He ignores players in the same league with better stats for no Fking reason!!!

When he was sold to us they mentioned Macherano. And how incredible Pekerman was with youth guys and would find us a ton of gems!!!

He has Bolillos teams and hasn’t done much to find us new guys. Hell it might even be Pinto/Lara’s team + guys who became old enough to play for us like James, Mina, Sanchez.

He doesn’t call enough guys to friendlies or play non FIFA day ones.

Korea should have been our starting 11 maybe new formation.

China a mixed team

22. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    With Argentina it was different, pekerman was an actual coach of the youth team. I think he was in charge of Argentina’s U20 team for 5+ years

Who is he ignoring and missing out on that he could have thrown into the fire of the WCQs where you need nerves of steel to hang.

Mateus Uribe was a bright spot in a friendly game and pekerman gave him a big chance against Bolivia in a WCQ and he was pecho frío.

23. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Was Uribe played in the right position and was he forced to play next to an Abel or a Sanchez who had no match fitness?

24. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don’t think that’s relevant. I’m pretty sure you were even critical of him that game.

Point I am trying to make is that pekerman has not overlooked anyone.

Sure he probably could have given more playing time to players like izquierdo and Lerma but in the grand scheme of things he has done the best possible job in terms of calling up the right players at the right times

dapip and Azucarero repped this.
  25. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Look our league isn’t as crap like many of you make it out to be. He only calls dudes from the historic teams with large fan bases. Is he even looking at the other teams?

GK is where it has been most frustrating