criminally un/under-appreciated records

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by afgrijselijkheid, Sep 15, 2003.

1. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Glad to hear that someone else knows this album actually exists....

You must read NME in the eighties...

I play this album only on very special occasions. Very atmospheric, very moody.

A very personal album for me.

2. Col Mustard

Col Mustard New Member

Oct 16, 2000
    London
    I first heard VA when her band The Ravishing Beauties supported The Teardrop Explodes on The Wilder tour. I thought the band were great but her solo stuff is better and pre dates the ambient electronic movement of the nineties by a good few years. The record has a very pastoral feel and if you can put up with church bells etc it's a great downbeat late evening record.

And yes I wasted a tremendous amount of my youth by reading the NME in the days when it had something to say.

3. javaj

javaj New Member

Sep 8, 2003
    Creve Coeur
    At The Drive-in: Relationship of Command

Rick Rubin's production pushed the band to the edge of breaking out before the band imploded. Oh well, two great bands formed in the ashes of ATDI: The Mars Volta and Sparta.

PM me for more info.

4. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    The Church --- The Blurred Crusade
    Basehead --- Play With Toys
    Giant Sand --- Ramp
    Curve -- Doppelganger
    Lou Redd --- New York, Magic and Loss

Agree on Girlfriend

5. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Fixed your post. I'll also add:

Hazel -- Toreador of Love. I'm guessing nobody has heard of this one unless you lived in Portland in the early 90s. This album defines the musical time-period for me. I still think it's better than anything any name-brand grunge band ever released. It's a crying shame that Everclear went on to riches and fame, while Hazel toiled in obscurity.

6. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    While we're on the subject of Aztec Camera, I liked "Stray" quite a bit. Nice early '90s cheese.

I'd also nominate "Big Calm" by Morcheeba (at least Stateside).

And here's one that's really obscure -- "Sex Without Bodies" by the NYC jazz duo Dave's True Story. Great lounge jazz, and one of my all time favorite jazz CDs.

7. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Feels like home when sandanidsta and pleased to meet me are listed in the first 5 posts. you guys stole my thunder.

I think one of the most under appreciate punk albums is Stiff Little Fingers - Nobody's Heroes. everyone seems to have/prefer imflammible material, but Nobody's Heroes is much better

Also

Police - syncronocity
    thurston moore - pyschic hearts

8. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Adding more:

Paloalto's self-titled debut. So they kinda sound like Radiohead. So what?

"Natural Ingredients" and "Electric Honey" by Luscious Jackson.

9. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KingsX - one of the best bands of the 90's. Crunchy guitars with lush 3 part vocal harmonies. You can hear the influences: Beatles, Hendrix, Queen.
    Some of their best albums:
    Out of the Silent Planet
    Gretchen Goes to Nebraska
    Dogman

Very underrated band to say the least!

10. Col Mustard

Col Mustard New Member

Oct 16, 2000
    London

Just to prove your point... NO NO NO !!!!

Inflammable Material is a Punk classic, it's angry, it's satirical, it's ironic (White Noise) it wears some great influences on it's sleeve (Johnny Was) and it sounds like the living embodiment of a train wreck fed through a Marshall turned up to 11.

Nobody's heroes on the other hand reeks of the difficult second album syndrome, and has the feel of "where do we go from here" about it. It's not a bad record but it's nowhere near as good as IM.

CM

11. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Nice one...

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    live - secret samadhi