Cricket

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by AuntyD, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Looking forward to the 4th Aust v India test. Going to the 4th day on Monday.

Yes, it would have been good to have another 1st tier team here for the Tri-Series ODI's, but the schedules are all pretty full.

2. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. White Laser Blues

White Laser Blues New Member

Dec 9, 2003
    Brisbane, Australia
    Will lighting strikes twice? I hope Steve Waugh can score another ton in Sydney after the one he scored 12 months earlier.

4. Craig the Aussie

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    India batting, Gillespie back in for Williams.

Looks good for a big one!!

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    INDIA v. AUSTRALIA, DAY 2, 4TH TEST
    INDIA close with 650 for 5

damn, looks like the trophy stays in india, as australia have no chance of winning it seems.

Tendulkar made 220 not out, Laxman adding 178.

recap

hey AuntyD (the one who started this thread), what happened to your buddy Brett Lee? actually all the bowlers had a crappy day.

other test news,
    [​IMG]
    Chris Gayle celebrates his century off only 79 balls - the ninth-fastest in Tests - as West Indies fought back against South Africa.
    3rd test, day 2- Close West Indies 178 for 1 trail South Africa 532 by 354 runs

ODI (one day international) news
    New Zealand 230 for 6 (Styris 101*) beat Pakistan 229 for 7 (Moin 72*) by 4 wickets with 5 balls to spare
    Styris leads New Zealand to thrilling win

7. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Australia fought back to allow the test series against India to end in a 1-1 draw.

And Steve Waugh, playing in his final test match, was inspirational beyond belief.

Waugh goes out fighting -- The ABC

Australia finished on 6 for 357 chasing 443 to win in the final innings, drawing the match and ensuring the series ended in the 1-1 stalemate which India needed to retain the Border-Gavaskar trophy.

Waugh leaves imperishable legacy -- The ABC

8. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    hey craig,

how was day 4? was the reception for waugh as good as they said it was?

well, now with the series over, i guess its good that australia were able to make it a draw at least.

now looking forward to the weekend- VB Series, and the Bulls playing.

9. Craig the Aussie

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah Bhoys, not bad - nice day, plenty of beer & pies and a bit of good cricket.

It was a major shame that Waugh got out the night before, but I am a bit of a Katich fan so it was good to see him get a hundred.

The Indian innings was a bit of an anticlimax, as you knew a declaration was inevitable. Lee was bowling absolute rubbish too (apart from his first spell which was scarily fast).

It was a shame that Waugh didn't give himself a bit of a bowl, but the ovation was pretty good. Sorry I couldn't get there yesterday, but we had the TV on at work.

I'm not a huge fan of the ODI's, but it's still cricket.

(and go the Blues)

10. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    a really good read on the India/Australia Test.

A celebration of cricket

probably the best statement in the article; which i think could be overlook with waughs retirement-
    "After the game, his wonderful, deserved, sendoff seemed to obscure the reality that 1-1 was a poor result for Australians."

looks like the writer agrees with you craig (me as well)-
    "Waugh's job was made infinitely harder because his bowlers and fielders decomposed. .... Brett Lee went from not-bad to crap."

other news-
    Australia A too strong for Zimbabwe
    .....In an ominous premonition of what lies in store in the VB Series later this month, Zimbabwe were overwhelmed by 119 runs

why were they invited, there were definitely better teams that should/could have been invited.

11. Craig the Aussie

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Agree - good balanced summing up of the series.

There has been some criticism here about the preparation of the pitches, and not playing India in Perth. It is being suggested that the groundsmen were instructed by the Australian Board to prepapre batting friendly pitches to maximise the number of days played, and to try and ensure that Waugh would get some runs. Gotta love the conspiracy theories.

With the amount of cricket going on, I think the Zimbos were the only country available. It is a bit strange though, as they were last here only 3 or 4 years ago.

12. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    just a quick update for those following the VB Series-
    NineMSN has live audio of the games, just go to baggygreen.com, click on live update, then there is a banner advertising it.

overall it sounds pretty good, actually the crowd sounds pretty active and into the match (more so than i would have thought, the score is currently none for 42 for australia).

13. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    Article on Cricket WC 2007

...Yet inter-island ferry services barely exist and the two main regional airlines have acronyms that are liberally, even literally, interpreted as Leave Island Any Time, Luggage In Another Terminal and Land In A Tree or Book Wait Indefinitely After, Better Wait In Airport and But Where Is Antigua?

pretty funny in talking about the possible troubles that could be expected. Also it mentions that if the USA wants to host a match, it must submit its request by May.

[​IMG]
    VB SERIES
    team----played--points---nrr
    Australia 2 11 +1.17
    India--- 1 1 -0.36
    Zimbabwe 1 0 -1.98

ING CUP
    all played 6---pts
    Vic- 26
    Tas 16
    Qld 14
    SA 12
    Nsw 11
    WA 2

PURA CUP
    all played 6 except NSW/QLD 5, pts nrr
    SA 23 +1.06
    VIC 15 +0.01
    NSW 14 -0.07
    SA 13 -0.41
    QLD 9 +0.11
    TAS 0 -0.64

14. Craig the Aussie

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Bhoys, I think you have your "Cups" mixed up.

Also, WA, Qld, SA & Tas are still in the middle of their 6th PURA Cup matches.

The ING Cup is the limited overs competition, the PURA Cup (or the Sheffield Shield as us traditionalists still call it) is the First Class 4-day competition.

15. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    craig,

didn't realize i mixed up the cup names with the standings. i guess its actually easier to just post the link here instead.

personnally, i prefer the ING Cup. i guess its possibly me being american and used to the sports here, but i find the 50 over matches (including ODI's) more exciting than tests.

16. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    ODI's Nor Interesting?
    Zimbabwe's Streak says so
    HERE

one thing he brings up is having an international version of Twenty20. they have never played that type of 'cricket' in australia as far as i know.

i am not really sure if i'd like the idea of it. the first thing that comes into my mind of when i think of Twenty20, is that its a version of baseball's homerun derby contest. it seems like in twenty20 there is a major influence of hitting lots and lots of sixes and much less strategy.

Ganguly responded to Streak's comments-
    "I believe one-day cricket is doing just fine, and there is no reason why it should be tampered with....

17. Craig the Aussie

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm the other way around. I find One Day cricket a bit too predictable, and too much in favour of the batsman - but it can be a fun day/night out.

Interesting discussion on this at the sister board bigfooty.com (I'm TigerCraig there, basd on my support of the Richmond Tigers in the AFL).

Love to see you pop over there - we have quite a few US posters (not so much on the cricket board, but on the gerneral talk/politics etc ones).

Link to the ODI v Test discussion is http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97855&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

18. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    thanks, i just signed up (name is NYC-Kaiser).

19. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
  20. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    I hate to be the bearer of some terrible news, but former Australian cricketer and current Victorian coach, David Hookes, passed away tonight after being attacked outside a pub the night before. This is a very sad day for any cricket fan and my thoughts are obviously with his family and friends at this time.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/JAN/047950_AUS_18JAN2004.html

David Hookes dies after assault
    Wisden Cricinfo staff
    January 19, 2004

David Hookes, the former Australian Test batsman and Victoria's coach, died in a Melbourne hospital late last night after being injured while attempting to break up a fight outside a St Kilda hotel.

Hookes, who was only 48, was treated by paramedics for half an hour at the scene of the assault before being rushed to intensive care. He was in a coma for a while but eventually his family took the agonising decision to switch off the machine.

21. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    yeah, i heard of it already, pretty terrible news. i believe he was hit from behind the head by a 22 yr old bouncer.

22. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    It's terrible for anyone to have their life cut short like David Hookes' one was. You have wonder about this world we're living in sometimes.

23. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    For those of us from the less developed nations...

The 2004 ICC 6 Nations challenge will take place in the UAE in February and March. UAE, Canada, USA, Scotland, Namibia, and the Netherlands will be taking part.

The winner gets a spot in the 2004 ICC Champions series.