Cricket

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by AuntyD, Nov 17, 2003.

1. AuntyD

AuntyD New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Australia
    Anybody out there enjoy cricket. I know this is an american site but heres hoping anyway. afterall Brett Lee has been over there and shown you guys a thing or two.

By the way don't ask who Brett Lee is. That's just like asking who's Big Dog!

2. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    go queensland bulls!

i have been following cricket for about a year. i watched the world cup last year while i was in australia and have been following the aussies tour in india as well as the ING Cup.

the usa is making strides, read here
    http://www.foxsportsworld.com/content/view?contentId=1919322

i know there are other cricket fans lirking around (craig the aussie, babytiger, etc.) and i know there have been other threads about cricket here before.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    New Zealand
    To quote the song.... I don't like cricket, I LOVE IT!!

I'm a keen Black Caps (New Zealand) supporter and play for a club team here in Auckland.

It's not looking too good for the Black Caps in Pakistan. Down 3-0 in the 5 match series and now just losing a wicket off the first ball in game 4!!

Hopefully we will do better on our home turf against Pakistan and South Africa, although it will be tough without our only world class bowler in Shane Bond!!

4. Renegade of Funk

Renegade of Funk New Member

Jan 22, 2001
    Room 237
    I've watched, actually enjoyed it very much. It's a mellow sport. On the other hand, it's hard to follow in the U.S., since the best coverage is occasional, even rare, on Fox Sports World.

Cricket boosters need to expand its distribution!

5. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah I like a bit of cricket. I haven't played for a while, but I catch it on TV whenever I can and go to the odd England game when they play in London. We get pretty much all England test matches and one-day internationals live on TV as well as plenty of domestic one-day cricket during the Summer. At the moment England are making their usual balls-up of a test match allowing Muttiah Muralitharan to score 51 runs in his 2 innings in their game against Sri Lanka in Galle. This bloke is a reall rabbit if ever I saw one, the England bowlers should be ashamed of themselves.

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am? Well, OK, I've been found out now. :)

Getting into it more and more, actually, from a casual spectator's perspective. I still couldn't explain the rules or the nuances of the game to the layman, however.

But I am currently enjoying Australia's current test series against India, now at The Gabba in Brisbane.

Here's all the latest, from Fox Sports' Australian website...

India show confidence

Humble Hayden fights back tears

McGrath back in two weeks

Not sure when the official dates are, but the Sydney test (presumably at the SGC?) between the Aussies and India will mark Aussie skipper Steve Waugh's swansong from all cricket competions. Looking for him to do well, as he's been a fantastic sportsman and competitor as well as a great ambassador for the sport itself.

Also wondering if there will be a Boxing Day test between the two nations at the MCG in Melbourne again this year, as is traditionally the case for the Aussies? I would love to go to one, some year...

7. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll push the envelope here, but this is my god-honest conviction...

Give the USA 20 years, maybe 25 years, and with the right coaching and athletes in place, and we may become a bonafide contender in international cricket.

I'm not saying the USA will ever be world champions, but with the right training and preparations, we might be able to give the West Indies, England, New Zealand, and perhaps even Australia, a good run for their collective money.

All I'm saying is that given all that, we could be pretty competitive in cricket someday.

8. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    too bad about the rain, i think india played really well. getting aus out for under 400. z.khan bowled well and openers with a good enough start.

9. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You think? England invented the game, have played tons of test matches and one-day internationals, have three domestic competitions and are still crap. :)

10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Aussies here can attest to that quite nicely. :)

By the way, nice performance by India at The Gabba today. Will try and provide a greater update on that when I get home from work in a while...

I will add, though, that for basic cricket news and information, www.cricinfo.com is a good place to go...

11. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    so by your logic every team in cricket is crap apart from the aussies.
    England have done alright in recent seasons .we can live with any other team apart from the poor ashes form .

12. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    aussies time is over once warne/mcgrath are gone..
    get used to the idea.

13. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, Sinner-- not absolutely convinced about that. There's still quite a bit of a nucleus still in place with the Aussies.

But your argument has a shadow of merit. Once Warnie's worldwide cricket ban ends, will he get back to his old form? Or how much of a shadow of that form will be regain? Or will he even have the desire to do so? Lots of unanswered questions there...

Glenn McGrath, I think, he's got at least a couple of good years left in him.

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    great knock from ganguly. i didn't expect this from him.

poor decision from umpire concerning tendulkar.

someone has got to tell sehwag that this is not a one-day game. but good start from him.

laxman seems to save his form for the aussies, and looked very comfortable out there.

and the indian wicket keeper (dunno his name) looks like a 13 year old but played really well.

16. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    i think all they need is some $/sponsorship- there are lots of people playing here in nyc/tristate area from foreign countries. all we would need to do is get them some sort of dual citizenship and BAM! USA wins the cricket world cup! ;)

17. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
  18. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might be able to see some highlights on one of the local news shows (Melbourne-based) here tonight. I'll try and provide a recap of the feeling, etc., of the event...

19. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comedy of errors ends in tie -- foxsports.com.au

The lead of the article says...

GIVEN that they had grassed a couple of chances earlier in the day, it was perhaps fitting that a Victorian misfield off the final ball allowed New South Wales to escape with a thrilling tie in yesterday's match at the MCG.

In the last act of a remarkable final over, Victorian seamer Mathew Inness scampered to retrieve the ball which NSW tailender Matthew Nicholson had dug out of his blockhole, but in doing so knocked it wide of a fielder who was also converging.

It gave the NSW batsmen, who needed two to win off that final delivery, enough time to steal the single which levelled the scores (Victoria 7-235, NSW 8-235), and almost presented them with a second for an unlikely win.

Folks, that's now not to win a test. Snatching defeat-- or, in this case, a draw-- from the hands of victory, that's what the Bushrangers did earlier today.

21. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    another story on shane here, seeing him possibly playing march 8th..
    http://www-aus.cricket.org/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2003/DEC/009493_AUS_08DEC2003.html

...Warne won't be available for selection in the one-day team but, with the first Test against Sri Lanka in Galle not starting until March 8, he has time to state his case for selection in a four-day Sheffield Shield game for Victoria against Western Australia from February 16. \

22. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update on the second Australia v India test, in Adelaide this weekend... and Ricky Ponting has been nothing short of magnificent.

Bichel's sweet revenge -- foxsports.com.au

Back Ponting to become world No. 1 -- foxsports.com.au

Bichel blasts top order -- The Age (Melbourne)

Pride comes before a haul for Bichel -- The Age

Good-luck charm Rianna earns Bichel's blown kiss -- The Age

Ponting wraps his gift with presence -- The Age

Should note that Bichel, with his bowling, deserves equal billing alongside Ponting, who has hit a double-century this weekend.

23. brassmonkey

brassmonkey Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Ive been trying to follow cricket recently. I just have one question. What is Sixes? Does that just mean that there are 6 players instead of 11. Something like Rugby's sevens? Thanks

24. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A six(six runs) is when a batsman hits the ball over the boundary rope without it touching the ground. It's the same way a four is when the ball goes over the boundary having touched the ground at least once.

25. brassmonkey

brassmonkey Member

Oct 10, 2003
    I know that. There is something called the Cathay Pacific Sixes Tournament. I went on the website, but it didnt say much.