Cricket is (still) vastly superior to baseball

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by BridgeMonkee, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    srd,

My dad was from Cork City, Cross Douglas Road.

2. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.

nice to hear you've a bit of corkonian in you,but i really dont follow the gaa at all.
    i respect the players and the massive effort they put into it,but ive a genuine hatred for the actual gaa organisation,it's a long complicated story which i wont be discussing here bud.

it's still a better sport than baseball and cricket :)

3. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    srd,

I know where you are coming from as my dad had no time for the GAA who in his day prevented their players from being involved in other sports. He was a friend of Jack Lynch and that's the reason he took an interest in hurling. As a matter of fact he was a staunch Chelsea fan even in the days when the club was not highly rated.

4. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    srd - this is a cricket v b-all debate :p

Hurling? Too insular really. My grandad played for Tipp. Outside of Ireland? Meh, who cares about it. The blokes that play it are all stark raving mad. Rabid nationalists or just rabid.

Cricket is an international sport - Pakistan, India, New Zealand, Jamaica, the Aussies, etc, they all bring their particular feel for the game. Its a zen game. Its a violent game. Its a tactical game.

5. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    dodge what ?

the duck Dodgers? :confused: animated sci-fi movie?

oh, the Brooklyn dodgers, the b-ball team, they got shut out. . .didn't anyone have a key? :p

6. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Pirates lose 3 of 4 to freaking San Diego. Christ, now we have the Rockies coming into town. One of the new guys we got from the Yankees is pitching on Monday as well. Over/Under is 4 2/3 innings pitched.

7. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    :confused: Pirates?

I think if a team is called the 'pirates' I think it proves yet again the vast superiority of cricket over b-ball.

Pirates? :p Come on, are you fcucking kidding me. . .mcworld disney sports :D . . .The Pirates are playing the Spacemen and the winner gets to play against the Care Bears in the 'world' series final

8. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    From South Africa [International Sports News]

England V South Africa - Third Test up next.

Harmison recalled. Pattinson out thank god.

Tremlett dropped.

No news on Simon Jones and Matthew Hoggard.

Collingwood may return, hes in the squad, so well see...

Broad remains in the squad.

I wonder what Impact this will have on the next test?

Cook
    Strauss
    Vaughan
    KP
    Bell
    Flintoff
    Broad
    Read/Foster
    S Jones
    Hoggard
    Monty

9. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I hate amateurism in sport, so elitist.

10. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've probably been around longer than you.

Then again so has Mickey Mouse....

probably. :D

11. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [youtube]8CSNyaVPmuA[/youtube]

The best modern batsmen there is or was.

The shot at 1.28 is just beautiful.

12. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    FYP, I am a PNC Park tour guide:

By way of chance, the season before the players had formed their own league. It folded after one season. Louis Bierbauer, a Philadelphia A's players from Erie, was signed by the Pittsburgh team. Philadelphia was in an outrade and in a letter to the National League, called the Alleghenies actions "piratical". At the same time, the Philly newspapers picked up on the name and started referring to the Alleghenies as the Pirates. In 1891, the owners of the Alleghenies adopted the Pirates moniker and the rest is history.

The Pittsburgh Pirates are older than Chelsea FC by nearly 15 years. Who's Mickey Mouse now?

13. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    wrong sport again my friend.....
    [​IMG]

14. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Friggin great post. I'm jonesin' for a PNC tour now.

I wasn't much of a tour guide in LA. For that I apologize.

15. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Mickey Mouse is Mickey Mouse...It is not his age that makes Mickey Mouse who he is. . .He is a symbol of all that it is meaningless and shallow and it is that which applies to the 'culture' of baseball.

Jeez louise ...God Save us from an American education.

. . .and you 'teach' for a living right? Jesus wept!

So we can conclude that it is not that you cannot construct an argument as to why you think baseball might be better than cricket it is merely that you are struggling to process the amount of information in the original post. You went to school on the short bus right?

. . .and now you actually 'teach' for a living right? Fcuckin hell :D

16. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    yeah boss

What is this the Phil Neal and Graham Taylor debating squad? :D

17. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The thread is 5 pages long and still nobody has intelligently challenged any of the salient points in the original 'Cricket Vs. Baseball' post. The decision is therefore an Unanimous one : :p

Cricket is the winner. :D

btw - Why do baseball 'nancy boys' need those great big fcucking gloves?

18. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well you see. It's the balls BM, they're a little bit harder than an exfoliating sponge and can make your hands go ouchy. Also, sometimes, when the ball is hit along the dirt it can pick up some muck and really ruin a good pedicure.

England had better get their arses into gear this weekend and get a win. With Steyn out there's a better chance than the 2nd test.

19. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Haha, I'm pretty sure a 95 mph compo is pretty stinging to the palms.

20. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Why does there have to be a winner? I like baseball and I know fecking shit about cricket. The Limey keeps telling me he'll teach me and take me to a match but he never does. I plead ignorance to make an argument. I was simply trying to dispel your notion that baseball is shit, which it is not. Unlike you, I do not choose to argue for or against things with which I have no knowledge!

21. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    That's because we don't care! :D

Two completely different games!

22. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    :D

Big Gloves Indeed.

Ho-Hum. Game over. No point in upsetting my colonial cousins any further. I like them. Roll on football season. . .

All you need are gloves, all you need are gloves,
    All you need are gloves, gloves, gloves are all you need.
    glove, glove, glove, glove, glove, glove, glove, glove, glove.
    All you need are gloves, all you need are gloves,
    All you need are gloves, gloves, gloves are all you need.
    </pre>

23. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Balls: Cricket Balls Vs. Base Balls

Both balls are made in similar ways (both have a cork core surrounded by fibre, covered in leather) and they are both similar weights, although the cricket ball is slightly heavier (5 to 5.25 ounces for baseball, 5.5 to 5.75 ounces for cricket). The baseball is slightly larger and easier to catch (9 to 9.25 inch circumference to 8 13/16 to 9 inch circumference) and the Cricket ball is slightly shinier (more spin).

In the game of baseball the closest player to the batter is the pitcher (about 60 feet away). In cricket fielders are much much closer than this - literally only a few yards (or less) from the batsman. When the ball flies off the cricket bat it is pretty much at the same speed as that which hits it. A cricket ball can come at you with spin at 40mph or fast at 100 mph and all the variables between. Cricket fielders may use helmets for protection, but they don't use gloves for catching.