Crew's biggest rival 2.0 (with poll)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Dec 5, 2020.

?

Who is the Crew's biggest rival?

Poll closed Dec 14, 2020.
  1. D.C. United

20.0%
  2. Chicago Fire

15.0%
  3. Toronto FC

2.5%
  4. FC Cincinnati

42.5%
  5. Austin FC

2.5%
  6. Don Garber/MLS

15.0%
  7. Other (please specify)

2.5%
  1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is the Crew's biggest, fiercest, rival?

Interesting question in the other thread, but we need more than 2 options. Mods, feel free to merge.

Votes will be public.

2. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austin wishes they were our biggest rival, they are nothing more than posers.

3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @golers started a similar thread almost at the same time as @TrueCrew 's. Redirecting to streamline discussion.

As golers asked, what is your reason? Any good opposing fan rivalry stories?

5. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll separate Rival and Hatred, there's alot that goes into a rivalry including history, competitiveness, proximity, significance of matches, etc. For Hatred theirs just F_CK PRECOURT!

Rivals:

1. FC Cincinnati - closet opponent, 1st meeting was huge for them (USL knocking us out of Open Cup) every game has had huge intensity, and best rivalry name in all of sport.

2. Bridgeview Fire - Crew's next closet opponent, I've heard that Fire fans view the Crew like the Crew view Cincinnati (Big Brother) although the on field results are a lot closer than one would typically consider for Big/Little Brother relationship. And we will always have 2008 over them.

3. DC United - I'm going Old School here; but those battles back in the 90ies were so frustrating 97-99 knocking us out in the semifinals 3 straight years. Err. They are about 20 miles closer than Toronto, and that 'rivalry' feels so MLS manufacturer.

Hatred:

1. F_ck Precourt and the Austin Broccoli.

Robbo Crewfan, Dan Milton and TrueCrew repped this.
  6. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    History, History, History. DC United is our biggest rival. The team I most enjoy being shitty and the one I take the most pleasure in beating. I don't think I actively root against any other team.

Chicago and Toronto follow DC at a distance. Cincy is obviously going to become one, it will just take some time to grow. Austin will remain to be seen. I'll be actively rooting for them to be terrible, no doubt.

7. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other part that makes FC Cincinnati a major rival is the fact that they were told that they would be Ohio's MLS team. Everything was set up for them by Garber and preco*rt, and they were so excited to step into MLS after The Crew was erased from the league. Never forget this.

8. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Cincinnati.

DC was our first rival, but it's been too long since matches between those two teams truly mattered. Toronto was a rival, but that was mostly about fan crap that isn't there any more. Games with them still matter, but it's because both teams are good; not necessarily because of any rivalry. I hate Chicago, but that was also partly about fan nonsense that went away, and they've been terrible for so long that they just don't matter, either.

I've been saying this for several years now: We don't have a true rival. True rivalries are forged through a number of factors. Geographical closeness, animosity/competition in both the clubs and the fan bases, fierce competition in important matches over a long period of time... we don't have anyone who checks all the boxes. And the fact that this question keeps getting asked is proof enough of it.

But Cincinnati, due to their extreme closeness, the fact that fans will travel regularly to each other's barns, the in-state element -- it's going to be the one that winds up taking off, even though it's currently a complete mismatch on paper.

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good choices.

There are very strong arguments for all. Except Austin. To put Austin on that list is a slap in the face. Sure, their fans are utterly annoying pustules and it'll always be a reminder of what tried to happen, but their actual players? Games between the two teams?

The reason why rivalries are created:
    Time. Games take place over years. Some of these games have a lot to play for.

Distance. Look at the Merseyside derby or the Old Firm. Look at Duke-UNC. How many teams does London have in the top 2-3 leagues?

Emotion. Some thing, or things, happen either on or off the playing surface. Maybe there's a mix-up between fans. Maybe the games are always more heated with ejections and all.

As KCbus said, it could be Cincinnati in time. Chicago's fan base was ruined (and they used to have some of the largest supporter sections in the league.) When was the last time we had a police mobile command center at a Crew game? DC? It hasn't been there in years. It's nice to beat them for old time's sake, but they also have two NY teams and Philly. Toronto? Really? Just because they brought 2000 or whatever, pissed in our parking lot (which was also a big fail elsewhere), and then got into it with our police? That was one game.

10. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't this be a vote for Garber?

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  11. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No because his scheme failed, that's why the rivalry even exists. The cherry on top is how shambolic FFC has been on and off the pitch since entering MLS, and how solid The Crew is w/ new investor/operators.

12. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said Austin for a number of reasons.

First off, I HATE PSV. Bright. White. Hot. Hate. And it is not going to go away. Ever. I mean, does that even need an explanation?

Second, I do not have that level of dislike for the other contenders (DC, Chicago, TFC, Cincy). Not their owners. Not their fans. Not their cities. Not their states.

Many of Austin's fans were all too happy to steal our team. Eff, them. DC fans, Chicago fans. TFC fans. They all had our back. Cincy were a bit more lukewarm in my memory, and barely in the league, but still better. Further, I have had sone good fan interactions with DC, Chicago, and TFC fans over the years. Zero positive history with Austin.

Third, I can't stand Texas. I root for the Mexicans at the Alamo. At least they were anti-slavery. Canadians are too nice. I like Chicago. And DC. And am a Reds/Bengals fan.

Lastly, while I still dislike DC/Chicago, a lot of the bright hot rivalry stuff is 10 (Blanco) or 20 (Diaz Arce, Kovalenko) years back. TFC was always manufactured and we clobbered them so often early on. Though the recent ECF loss, and Michael Bradley elevated them some. Cincy is similar. We kick their butt too often.

Strange to say it, but I will take Broccoli FC. We may not have played a game against them yet, but we've been at odds with Austin longer than Cincy has been in the league.

13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, I totally get DC, Chicago, TFC, FCC, or MLS responses.

I'd go FCC (they were kind of happy to be Ohio's team, as some have said) second. Garber third.

14. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    As much as I have hated DC, Chicago, and Toronto over the years (and Seattle, if we're going to include the teams that have put me into full Ahab mode), there are two reasons why it becomes impossible to commit to rivalry status at this point.

The first is when a long period of mediocrity sets in, for us or for them (usually for them). When several years go by without a tense game full of meaningful implications, it's just harder to keep the hate going. But I suppose it's possible that I'm merely embracing my inner hippie as I get older.

The other thing that makes it harder to hate is how much support we got from so many other fanbases when our beloved franchise was in its darkest hour. Even in places like Seattle and Chicago, there were audible STC chants.

So I think it only makes sense to embrace the local rivalry with the fantastic name that guarantees more sell-outs, easier away-game commutes, and - once their team improves - some inevitably meaningful games. It can only get better.

And sure, perhaps there were some FCC fans ready to embrace our demise. But I tailgated with several who didn't seem to feel that way. How firm thy friendship, O-H-I-O.

TrueCrew and TyphonInc repped this.
  15. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, that FCC is currently a horrible team. However, in a grand upset they won our first match in the Open Cup. They tied our first MLS match. And even won a meeting this year.

I would assert because it is a rival game FCC has played some of their best soccer against the Crew.

TRUJDUB and DAFCrew repped this.
  16. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who scored the first goal in Columbus Crew history? That is the hallmark of a rivalry.

17. OzweegoSC

OzweegoSC Member

Dec 10, 2007
    CMH
    Thor Lee makes an appearance.
    upload_2020-12-8_9-3-19.png

Pauncho and CrewDust repped this.
  18. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would posit that Columbus Crew SC's biggest rival is themselves.

But I don't think that's the point of this thread.

F*ck MLS!

TRUJDUB, TKyle and hardhead repped this.
  19. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THERE he is. LaMacchia popping in and bringing the snark! [emoji16]

20. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is why I voted other

LaMacchia repped this.
  21. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just thought I'd add this. Of all the things they could have mentioned at the end, they mentioned Hell Is Real.

TrueCrew repped this.
  22. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    You always remember your first. Therefore, DC is and always will be the biggest rival for me personally. I do understand that rivalries change over the years (except for well established ones based on hate like OSU-Michigan) specifically as new teams enter the league. Chicago was next in line, then TFC and Seattle although those were just because the fan base of both were so annoying. Cincinnati over time will become more of a natural rival as we always will play them for the "best of Ohio" in Hell is Real derbys.

23. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I'd have remembered that I get an email every time I get tagged. This place is like heroin: One last hit goes on for years.

kgilbert78 and TKyle repped this.