CrewboyCraig on Injuries and Subs

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew SC' started by Bill Archer, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. hangthadj

hangthadj BigSoccer Yellow Card

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Beacon, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    do we buy this line or not...
    "Very seldom have I been able to make a tactical sub," he said. "Most have been due to injury or fatigue coming back from an injury."

3. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    I don't think it's particularly right that you can dress all of your reserves in your home, but only six when your away. I understand controlling costs, but there should be some equality regardless of whether you're home or away.

Not to spark a debate between American and European soccer, but don't the Euro teams have a match day roster that includes the subs that are only available for that game? Meaning, you can't suit your entire team, reserves and all.

I don't like this. The league should change it.

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there's something about this i'm not buying:

With the score at zeros Saturday, Andrulis subbed midfielder (Alex Pineda Chacon) for midfielder (Kyle Martino) in the 79th minute, defender (Nelson Akwari) for defender (Mark Williams) in the 87th and defender (Chad McCarty) for right midfielder (Brian West) in the 97th.

If West had been able to go 3 more minutes, then Chad wouldn't have had to come in. If Chad didn't come in, then we may have ended up with a tie, since that goal was in stoppage time of OT.

Then again, only Greg knows why he made subs starting at the 79th minute and another one right before OT.

Halftime. Does a sub need to be made? Yes/No Repeat at 50th, 55th, 65th, and 75th. All subs should be used up by the 75th minute, IMO. But why he wanted to put a new player in with 2 minutes left to go is anyone's guess. Yeah, westie was tired, but most coaches probably would have told him to hang in there for 2 more minutes.

5. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I buy it, and it's not the first time Andrulis has mentioned it. In fact, I think we discussed it when he said something similar after the match where West got injured in the first half, forcing Andrulis into subbing Garcia early only to watch Garcia get injured in the second half forcing a second sub.

I'm not saying that entitles Andrulis to a free pass or anything, but I hear what he's saying.

6. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

turkey bacon with swiss
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaks volumes about the status of the team if we are still making injury related subs, not tactical ones, this late in the season.

Maybe it's saying that the youngsters/bench we have aren't (considered) good enough to replace the current starting eleven even in their banged up/injured state..?

7. Snuffles

Snuffles New Member

May 27, 2003
    UK
    Yep, it is another one of those "where on earth did that rule come from MLS?"