Pre-match: Crew vs Toronto FC 3/28 :: pre-game/wager thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Grouchy, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Massive 94

Massive 94 New Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Grandview
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree 100%. TFC's performance on the field has done nothing to warrant attention. The incessant crimes of douchebaggery from their supporters is mind boggling.

2. Wearethecrew1

Wearethecrew1 Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Athens/Westerville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason I dont like TFC is due to their over the top douchebaggery and trash talk on all things BigSoccer and the way some of their fans harassed me and my friends on Facebook before the game last year. I started a Facebook event just to invite friends to try to get a good turnout to the game. I invited maybe 25 people, all people I knew. The next day, there were like 365 guests on there, all from Toronto talking mad shit. When I told them to screw off and make their own event, one guy personally threatened me on a PM saying meet me in the parking lot etc... I knew it was horseshit, but I was surprised with the level of pettiness from their fans. Add in their hard-on for us and the laughable results they have had in the league, and it creates the perfect rival for me. I havent had anything personally happen to me from Chicago and DC fans, so Toronto is at the top for me

3. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Correct me if i am wrong, but didnt MLS create the rivalry game to create a "derby match" that leagues like EPL and Series A have.

Those particular games increase revenue/fan base for their respective clubs, so in essence the "rivalry game" is just a marketing scheme perpetrated by the MAN.

4. WTAMUCrew

WTAMUCrew Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Amarillo
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can say that the rivalry is fabricated and doesn't truly exsist because it didn't come to being without being pushed on us, but there is a trophy up for grabs (however minor it may be, it is still a trophy) and I would die (overdramatic? yes) before being the team that gives them their first piece of hardware.

Right now IMHO Toronto has the most obnoxious fanbase, especially given that they haven't won anything. Can you imagine how they will be if the beat us (not going to happen 2-1 Crew)? The reason that I consider this a rivalry isn't because of a crappy trophy or MLS telling us it is supposed to be. It is because there is tension brewing among the fanbases and the front offices. Its not full blown yet, all it needs is a spark.

5. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That does always puzzle me, the limited nature of the thing in which TFC fans claim the most pride, which isn't the team. You never see a TFC fan claiming pride in their team when we receive their visits.

No, it is how wonderfully their games are attended, that they are to be envied because of quantity of attendance. Have you ever heard of this? During the 70s, on whatever form of communications they used back then (newsletters, telegraphs, chisled stone) did Steelers fans deride the Browns because season tickets were harder to come (possibly)? I guess when that's the only bullet in your gun, that's what you shoot.

So now every time I read that little phrase mot (You wish you had the attendance we had) I cannot help but think that I agree with them. That I'd love to see a full house at CCS every game. And I think they wish they had our players, manager, GM, and pitch.

Not to mention an unpaved parking lot.

6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TFC brags about attendance because: they are top of the heap, and two, because that's all they've had to hang their hats on.

They are better this year, and this game will not be a walkover.

7. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously on what do you make this assertion? They have made several additions, but I read many TFC fans basing their offensive hopes on an Argentinian u20 washout. Not to mention their keeper (Frei?) looks a little shaky.

With Guevera and DeRosario, their midfield is a few years out of top form. Good names to be sure but I am reserving judgement before I praise TFC onfield abilities.

But we'll see. I hope you (as do you I think) that you're wrong about this.

8. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of curiosity, who do you think will be wearing the Captain's Armband come Saturday?

No Frankie
    No Duncan
    No Alejandro

Normally if Frankie was out, Alejandro would wear it- goes from one workhorse to another. And with both of them out, it would be a great time for Duncan to start at center mid, push Ekpo wide, and give Duncan the armband- but he won't be there either.

Most would automatically assume Guillermo- but the Captain should be the guy who flies around the pitch and works hard, which is who the captain armband usually goes to(Moreno, Frankie, Duncan). But other than Guillermo, who could you give it to? After Guillermo, I think you'd have to consider-

Carroll
    Gaven
    Hesmer
    Marshall

All of these guys have experience and are so important to the team. I think Gaven is the least likely to get it, probably followed by Carroll. Then its between who is more vocal, Chad or William.

9. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guaranteed Schelotto. He's a leader on the field and this way he's allowed to yap at the ref more.

11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I equate TFC to New England. Are the games heated? Yes. Are they rivals? No. When we don't play TFC or New England, I really couldn't care about them.

But DC and Chicago are a different level of scum.

12. Big Strong Patrick

Big Strong Patrick That's so Gaven

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are all the seats empty for the first 15 min. of each half @ Toronto? It is because they couldn't care less about soccer & are just there for the crowd?

13. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that of these 4, Carroll would actually be the most likely to get it. He's very even keeled (when was the last time you saw him get agitated on the field?) and is well respected around the league. He's also got a few national team caps and I think is the perfect candidate to replace Frankie as the team's skipper when Frankie finally decides to hang them up.

14. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd agree about Carroll. He is probably THE MOST UNDERRATED player in the league and is really the rock of the midfield. The team really wouldn't be the same without him.

I'd still expect Guille to be captain Saturday though.

15. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says who?

Guille is the guy instructing the players around him and dictating the game. Is that not a leader and captain right there, whether he has the armband or not?

16. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing against it, really. I just got this vibe:

Never mind. Hospital network is blocking youtube. Just imagine me pasting "White and Nerdy" in this post.

17. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The parking lot should be dubbed Crew Lake. I'm sure that it's going to be a mess with the rain we are getting.

18. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume it'll be fine- insofar as an unpaved, rutted field can be fine as a parking lot - by Saturday, assuming we don't get too much more rain.

The ground was pretty dry before today's rain, so I assume it'll soak in pretty quickly. Remember that the ground was still semi-frozen in February for the US-Mexico match; all that rain had nowhere to go.

19. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guillermo Prime: Toronto... must... be stopped!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkYuK3AKrxc"]YouTube - The Touch - Transformers movie clip[/ame]

20. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, I hope it works out better for Guillermo than it did for Optimus.

21. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol. But how funny would it be for Dero to get mortally wounded, we still beat TFC and on the bus ride home, the rest of the TFC team led by Chad Barrat throw Dero off the bus where he is then run over by traffic. See it's a brilliant plan!

Who knows, maybe Brunner or Grendi will pick up the essence of Guillermo then and become Super Optimus Grendi Prime.

Hmmmm.... the possibility are endless.

Chicago is definitely the sharkticons though. Yeah.... sharkticons...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

see they look just a like.

22. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. chmk

chmk New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    E. Lane Ave
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! rep

24. chmk

chmk New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    E. Lane Ave
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah, foiled! Must spread...

25. chmk

chmk New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    E. Lane Ave
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On another note: has anyone else been incapacitated by their thoughts of 3.28? Work is wasted.