Crew vs. NY RedBulls :: Post-Game [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Mar 26, 2011.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    0-0 tie at the home opener...

Another fruitless final effort from our offense; Mendoza, Ekpo and crew cannot put one past a makeshift RedBull line-up and relative newcomer in goal for the visitors.

2. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm going to go fall asleep now. What a snooze.

3. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1st point of the season, fellas.

NYRB feels like they came out with a win. as they should, considering it sounds like we dominated this game. we forfeited our cutting edge, though, when we subbed out Rogers and Gaven.

pathetic performance managerially. decisions that don't make any sense coupled with keeping players on the field who weren't contributing anything (Mendoza, Burns).

feels like a loss.

4. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Why is Mendoza a DP? The guy had how many chances, including one from the penalty spot area, and refused to shoot unless it was wide open.

If I were Cunningham I would just leave the team now because if he can't get into a game like this Robert won't ever play him again.

Team is just a disaster and are far and away the worst squad in the league.

5. CrewFootball

CrewFootball Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Way to play for the draw Bobby. You suck! Rogers is our best player so far.

6. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Somebody needs to go bump the Fire Warzycha thread.

7. Devilmycare

Devilmycare Member

May 3, 2010
    Warren, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was our best chance for 3 points. Makeshift RB lineup plenty of possession. Blew it big time.

8. CrewFootball

CrewFootball Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Already handled. Did I hear the Nordecke chanting Guillermo in the second half?

9. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of my frustration with tRR has now been shifted toward Mendoza.

10. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    This team is worthless in the final third - period. They couldn't score in a whore house with a thousand dollars cash in their hands.

We have our answer this team is going to lose a lot more games than they are going to win.

And has Jeff already been buried at the end of the bench?

11. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Where to begin....

Hesmer - MotM for one play when his moment of truth came which is more than anything anybody really did with their's. That Left Glove is literally worth one MLS League Point.

Lindpere - Must be French for "Put my arm through the back of your head". It seemed like everytime he closed in on somebody with the ball, his hand or forearm was going for their head. That dude should be called for fouls a lot more than he did tonight.

Robbie Rogers - I give the kid a lot of stick (a lot) but he did really good tonight and I have no idea why he was subbed out. My only "tin-foil hat" explanation is that they ran him out there to show other teams that his performance last week was not a fluke and pulled him before he injured himself which would totally ruin his trade value. I have no other explanation.

Which brings us to...

Subs - Most times, I can understand RW's subs even if only tangentially. Today, I am at a complete loss. Rusmir is pulled but Burns stays? tRR and Gaven, two of our more effective offensive attackers were pulled while Mendoza stayed on the field. And RW used all three subs early and left us with no option when Mendoza cramped up (must have been that time...).

There's more... but I'll hold off for now...

12. clevelandstoker

Aug 12, 2004
    Youngstown, OH
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Mendoza's do-rag makes him look like a skunk, which I suppose is appropriate given his performance.

Glad I didn't waste gas money on a trip down.

13. CrewFootball

CrewFootball Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Anyone else think Duka should start for Ekpo. Good passing and high energy.

14. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No.

15. Devilmycare

Devilmycare Member

May 3, 2010
    Warren, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% agree he was much better.

16. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Just made it back. Julius James with a very encouraging performance tonight, MOtM for me. Assured in possession and not sure he lost a single challenge.

17. bob.os

bob.os Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Clintonville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1, except for falling down instead of shooting, but then our six-figure DP did the same….

18. bob.os

bob.os Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Clintonville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm seeing now why James is starting over Iro. He has a huge advantage in comfort with the ball. Iro always looks like he's panicking, while James had patience and poise.

19. Rushmore1486

Rushmore1486 New Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Columbus
    I'm confident in saying that Andres Mendoza has been, and will be, the worst DP this league will ever see.

It's been my understanding that the DP moniker is reserved for the "game-changer" kind of player (i.e Guille). Mendoza seems utterly incapable of influencing a game whatsoever.

20. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emmanuel Ekpo needs to be utilized as a winger.

Kevin Burns and Dejan Rusmir aren't MLS-quality starters. Not even really serviceable backups. I'd rather see us play with 2 center mids who can attack (Duka and Gaven) than see that again.

Andy Iro is still better than Julius James.

Balchan is fast, but hes not very good with the ball.

Heinemann should've started up top with Mendoza with Renteria out of the lineup.

Someone needs to turn the temperature up for this weekend.

21. Lt. Dan's New Legs

Jan 13, 2011
    Westerville, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We started after Mendoza sat on his ass for 10 minutes after he failed to take a shot. We also did it after the game while the teams were shaking hands.

2 people repped this.
  22. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulling Rogers totally killed the attack. That was the strangest sub I have ever seen in my life. Rather than trade Robbie I would do something else. Word on the street is he would loves Columbus and would prefer to stay there but for someone we all know who obviously does not like him.

Observations:

Neither Duka or Anor come close to Rogers.

Lenhart is much better than Mendoza as is Mr. H. I would have brought Cunningham in.

The thought that the team gave up GBS still gives me shudders. Hope they sign him for the end of season when his current team is done for the year.

Ekpo ran out of gas again at the normal time. He should have been subbed. I thought he had a pretty good game though alhough his final touch failed him.

Gaven was okay, not great. I would not have subbed him out either.

Burns struggled. He is obviously not game fit.

Defense-was decent tonight. Balchin does not have a final touch but played well. Miranda played very well on the left with Robbie.

James I thought had a good night ( I still want to know whats up with Iro). Chad played more like himself and Hesmer made a big stop.

Very dissapointing crowd. Kudos to those diehards that actually went to the game (including Robbie's sister). I want to remind everyone that 18,000 hearty souls showed up in pouring rain (3 inches to be exact) to watch the Chivas the other night, something is clearly wrong.

23. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in a million years. The kid kept losing the ball at key times. His defense was pretty good but he is suppose to play offense and be dangerous with the ball. He could be a good stuck in type of dm maybe or even a back.

24. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    With you, perhaps. Stop trolling. And that's probably Chivas' biggest crowd ever. Color me unimpressed.

25. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Braved the cold with our 8 month old...he probably would've finished as well as Mendoza today. That's about the best thing I can say about Mendoza.

Thought Robbie played well today, was surprised he was subbed out. Duka had some nice moments. Anor and Caveman (or The Brown-haired Lenhart) showed flashes of promise.

Two points lost today, disappointing. I'm holding out hope that this team will be much more cohesive in the final third as the season goes on...

Edit: Also gotta give some credit to the FO for signing Miranda, he's impressed me.

1 person likes this.