Crew vs. Metrostars :: Pregame

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Robbiegoal, Aug 10, 2005.

1. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The MLS Preview has:

----------Walker------------
    Marshall---Wingert----Fraser
    ----------Elliott-------------
    Hejduk----Vasquez---Henderson
    -----Martino-------Glen------
    -----------Cameron---------

Can't say I'm too happy with it. For a side that says they want to pull out all the stops to make the playoffs it just seems a little bland.

After the past two performances, how about placing Glen in Cameron's spot. Glen isn't a classic target forward, but he brings the ball down nicely and is able to get the ball around, well except where it counts. He also makes good runs which should get him to goal more then Cameron, but then of course who knows what Glen would do with those chances.

Then lets get Sutton out there in Glen's place and see if he's got starter material. He seems to have the speed, skill, and ability to put the ball in the net. However, you don't know how that translates to 90'.

Hejduk isn't a starting midfielder. He simply shouldn't be on the field in that capacity. Loco has sat enough. He isn't everything we hoped he'd be with his finishing and final ball, but he's still the best option on the right.

Then have Gaudette, Storey, Hejduk, Cameron, and Testo on the bench.

Let's run at these ********ers from the very start and see if their slow backs can catch up.

2. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    You'll have to excuse me for seizing upon poor old Storek. With a name like that, how could Poles deny he's one of theirs? Bob should get Gazidis on the line post haste and set Marcus up with a nice family in Groclin. We all know he could be the next drachma-clutching Olisadebe.

As for our poster boy for P-40 WIC cred, Barclay, just ask Jim Tressel what he's been up to this summer. HINT: It isn't serving up crosses.

Purging that irresistable word "NOOODGE" from 100,000 peoples' collective memory isn't easy. Just ask hard-luck, sixth-try's-a-charm Josh Huston (we have a problem) on some Saturday next month. Maybe Dev'll make a better go of it in '06.

3. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Naaaaaaaaah

You guys will win, Bob will get canned and go somewhere else to win another title.

Metrostink has a way of insinuating itself on even the most competent of people.

Since we have five defenders out, including the only one who can actually play someone man to man, if I'm Rifle Bob I just play balls through and let your two big forwards absolutely shred the defense like you guys did last time. It's scary how badly we get beat on one-on-one situations. It's horrific
    Metro is gonna have to score three to win, I don't think they can unless Youri starts pulling ******** out of his ass again like he did in Dallas.

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the whole goddam division won. Everybody.

So this morning we are 17 points and a KC or DC collapse away from playoff land.

Now we do have - again, for today - three games in hand on DC and four (FOUR) on Chitcago, but any way you choose to look at it we have no choice at all tonight - a "result on the road" won't do it. We simply need a win or things look pretty bleak.

Put another way, if we take nine points out of the three "in-hand" games, we're still eight points back.

5. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we don't win tonight, I think we had better start thinking about moving some of our proven old players (Fraser, Hejduk) to teams looking to plug a hole for the playoffs in exchange for picks and/or promising young players (I want Chad Barrett). We aren't mathematically out of it if we lose, but the margin for error is so slim, and we'd need so much help from others, that I'd pretty much consider it a lost cause.

6. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    yeah thanks chivas and real.. and los angeles..
    if we were in the west we would be right in the hunt.

Storek.. that's pretty hillarous.
    Oliasdebe scored a goal against Wisla the other day for PAO.. But Pawel Brozek scored like two goals.. Really we dont need Oli right now.. Or Storek for that matter. lol.

7. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arrived safely in Mount Laurel, NJ on Friday evening, and now we're just about to head off to the Meadowlands. Making a stop at The Onion Bag in North Bergen on the way, maybe to pick up some extra U.S. gear for the Wed. match in Hartford.

I got clearance from a Metros' front office rep. to hang our banners in section 121 (endline opposite Empire Supporters Club). So, they should be up.

Sorry to reiterate, but damn, do we need these 3 points tonight. Sure didn't get any help from any of the Western Conf. teams last night.

LET'S GO CREW!

8. Robbiegoal

Robbiegoal Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As am I. So confident in fact I dropped a decent chunk of change on them at a little over 4-1

9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That seems to be about the consensus. 4.50 is the highest I've seen, but 4.20 - 4.30 seems to be where most of them are.

For those of you who are interested (since I get questions about this):

http://footballfixedodds.com/betbrain.html

Open "Select Event" and then scroll though the leagues ALL THE WAY DOWN. "US Major League Soccer" is second to last (Penultimate, if you will) above only Wales.

Then click on "Metrostars -Columbus Crew" and it'll give you all the wagers available. The site gets the posted odds from a multitude of Bookmakers and posts the highest one for each option.

10. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    betting sucks. it figures that when i have a $10 double on celtic and rangers winning, that one wouldnt.

thats my luck.

i think ive got the crew winning at 4.33 odds. given the match, the circumstances, and whatnot, those are great odds.

11. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No one's going to take Fraser at least not for anything of value. He pretty much said this was his last year.

I could maybe see someone spring for Hejduk, although most people would balk at the salary for a RB.

Elliott or Henderson, I can't see either. We're stuck with these guys till the end of the year. Well happily stuck with Fraser and maybe Hejduk.

The thing to do is just sit most of them and get the young guys in to see where they fit in for next year. Like I said, I'd love to see if Sutton has starter potential. Elliott's spot is Szetela's sooner or latter, why not now? Gallardo could use sandwhich money, get Loco back in there as well.

No if your going to trade for the future, you got to give up something of value and maybe take a chance. I don't think we have a chance at the playoffs so helping division rivals doesn't concern me too much.

We need someone who has the potential to be a goal scorer and this draft is going to be pretty limited with that this year. Last year was the year to pick up a striker. Honestly KC could use a little creativity, how about Martino for Ryan Pore and a pick. Martino has had a resurgence, but lets be serious he'll never be a forward and he can't get things done in the center here. Maybe he can in KC. Then also the draft will be filled with good midfielders to replace him. Pore's not getting any minutes in KC, but has loads of potential and the fact he's local could be a PR boost if he comes in and scores goals.

12. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To keep the contest in the Eastern Conference interesting, I hope you guys destroy the Metrosexuals. :)

13. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most likely so, but I'll assume management and the coaching staff will fight with their best players until we are mathematically eliminated and even then will start whomever is considered the best at home.