Crew vs. Houston Smurfs :: Pre-Game

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Aug 4, 2005.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Enough talk of the USOC match. Let's get back to MLS action.

Crew travels out west to San Jose for the last time...

Does Edson make the trip? Does Frankie insert back in to the starting eleven?

2. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Houston Smurfs. It's funny cause its true.

4. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    you think they will do good in houston..??

i say we right the train.. after last nights game..
    i feel for some reason a blowout.. a 7-0 road win..

vazquez gets a hat trick and so does martino.. and one of our defenders scores from midfield..

5. crewzer1308

crewzer1308 New Member

May 11, 2004
    Ohio
    i dont think buddle would travel! maybe replace buddle with Woly!

6. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Yea! Or replace Woly with Storey. Yea! Storey! Woo, hoo. He, he. Yi, haw!

7. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Do our speed guys have room to run in SJ? This could be a tough game after a long Open Cup. Quicks seem to count more than speed and Knox will have to recover quickly + Cornell will need to do more with his 1v1s from the wings. I'd like to see Wingert sit and have a back line of Frankie/Fraser/Marshall with Testo taking the left wing. Let Henderson and Frankie work the right behind KMart.

Vasquez and Elliott are really starting to look strong in the center and should feel more comfortable pushing up with Fraser behind them.

We'll need to score 3 to win.

3-2 Crew in a sloppy victory...I'd take a tie.

8. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    I think this is a good match for Bobby Rifle to prove his coaching mettle. A couple initial victories, a loss in the open cup that left a sour taste in everyone's mouth (including the rest of the league apparently, judging from all the aggressively annoying trash posting in all our other threads), and a small break from the all star game to rest folks. the honeymoon is over, the former coach has been forgotten, and we have short memories and high expectations. so, bob, how good a manager are you?

that being said, i cannot shed any light into who i would start and who i wouldn't. i've been stuck out west for 5 weeks and have missed all the games during that time (the last game i saw was the fire away match, bobby's first).

i fly home tomorrow and am excited for this game. what channel is it on, or will i have to catch the Crew TV feed?

9. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

But if Buddle didnt play/sit on the bench on Wednesday are you saying that Wolyniec should replace him in the stands?

10. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Forward Edson Buddle will not make the trip to San Jose, but it is not because of a pending driving under the influence charge against him. "I only take players who are 100 percent. He is not," interim coach Robert Warzycha said. - From today's Dispatch

Pretty much the story of Bobby Rifle. If you aren't going to help the team with your fitness, you ain't playing. Folks might think this has something to do with the impending charge but remember back to Robert first match, against Chicago at Soldier Field, he left both Woly and Buddle at home because they were not 100%. He's a man of his word and has conviction. God bless the man.

11. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

ONN - All Ohio all the time.

12. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being on the smaller field I would probably field my best possession oriented team, tilting the scale defensively.

Walker
    Hejduk - Fraser - Marshall
    Wingert - Elliot
    Martino - Vasquez - Henderson
    Knox - Glen

Use Wolyniec and Loco as late subs.

Personally, I don't like Hejduk on the field and in that case put Wingert back there and put Danzilla in his place? Or do we go back to our last MLS game placing Testo in for Hejduk?

13. crewzer1308

crewzer1308 New Member

May 11, 2004
    Ohio
    anyone going to BW3 to watch the game there?

14. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not, at 10pm that place will be packed and won't be able to hear the game. A group of us from v-army is probably just going to get together and watch it at someone's place. Cheaper beer that way too. ;)

15. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    stop typing in www.bigsoccer.com when you mean to type in www.matchnight.com

16. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zip.. I owe you a beer, buddy.

If Crew can pull off a win, my optimism level will soar to new heights for the season.

My lineup against the Smurfs:

Walker
    Hejduk - Fraser - Marshall
    Testo - Wingert - Szetela
    Vasquez - Martino
    Knox - Sutton

Basically, it'll look nothing like the above, but I'm rather fond of it. It cleans out ****** Elliot and Henderson and puts players like Szetela and Testo out there that will actually hustle.

As for forwards, since Buddle's not traveling, I want Sutton starting. I don't see much from Glen. Use Woly or Glen as subs, if needed. Maybe throw Henderson in there late, so he can actually look quick against tired defenders.

17. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    i do like the people on the field that chelsey has..

Loco should be in..
    danny and loco would be quick on the wings.. they get the ball pass it up to vazquez and martino.. both who have just been playing great.. and they could find sutton or knox.. both who have been quick..

i dont know whats up with all the hejduk hate.. yes the red card was dumb.. But the guy always hustles.. Their is no way he will be off the field. He's a team leader.. dont see him being on the back line. although he should be.. Hejduk and Marshall outside.. would make things quick.. i like that.. it's all about who can connect with each other.. as long as fraser doesnt make any stupid passes we should be okay.

this is a very important game. we need to win a couple tough ones. I think down the stretch we could definitely catch metrostars and maybe kansas city. DC United I think is on it's way up..

I just have some little changes.
    my lineup:

Walker
    Schulte-Wingert-Marshall
    Hejduk
    Testo Szetela
    Vazquez(he makes too much happen in the middle.)
    Knox- Martino -Sutton

Schulte for Fraser.. Schulte played strong against Fullham. He has much experience. And Fraser got beat a couple times and passed a ball right to a fcd player about 25 yards out from goal. Unacceptable. I think Schulte is better anyways.

Martino with Vazquez behind him means mucho goals. Think about all the one two touch opportunitys. It just makes sense to move your two most dangerous players closer to goal.. if u got other players that can handle the midfield and defensive responsibilitys. Martino burned everyone he was up against on wenesday.. both on the right and left.. hell why not let him beat someone in the middle where he might actually have a angle on goal.. He had a ton of chances.. Just make him a ********ing forward already. He is the most fit guy on the field. Most dangerous option. Make him a striker why not.

trade buddle for cunningham. lol

18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    no.

19. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    did u see fraser's awesome pass??

i thought he looked terrible on wenesday.

20. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Not even through Flyer Pride could I make that statement.

21. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    okay.. well maybe im wrong..
    whats the differences between schulte and fraser..
    strengths and weaknesses..
    i only go by what I have seen. and I saw one game where schulte played pretty good.. and I saw a couple of games where fraser has been pretty abmissal including wenesday.. i dont have season tickets or dk. someone please enlighten me.

22. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

23. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    hmm.. when you put it like that.. lol

what about my martino idea?

24. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hang, FF, and Placid voiced my thoughts on the whole Schulte for Fraser "suggestion"..

Re: Martino

As for him being the most fit.. how can you determine that?

I will agree that Martino has some of the quickest feet I've ever seen on a MLS player. It's always been his best attribute. If only he had more a head on his shoulders these days to execute the right decision. I blame it on his lack of food, which is impeding his brain to correct functionally.

25. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buddle for MVP!!!!!!