Crew vs. Earthquakes :: Pre-Game

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Danny Z as the AM? Well why not I guess...

Kelly would not do well against Mullan, IMO. Too little experience + I like Wingert in the lineup.

2. Robbiegoal

Robbiegoal Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has boring defensive soccer written all over it.

I really hope I am wrong.

3. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
  4. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone else just not feel like going to this match, or is it just me?

5. Plowmanoo

Plowmanoo New Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    That's about the best we could do, for better or worse. Having not seen Woly up top with Edson, I'm not sure what to make of Testo up front with him. To Greg's credit (and I really hate to give him any), he's trying something kind of different up front. I'd love to see someone other than Buddle get the start, because he really hasn't produced (despite the fact he is leading us in goals scored).

I stand by the 2-0 prediction though. I just don't see how we can score a goal with those 11 out there.

6. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Testo sucks.

7. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    MLSnet's pre-game guide has Elliott at a-mid, Szetela at d-mid. Maybe Wheeler saw Elliott's propensity to play d-mid all the time, and Szetela's propensity to play a-mid. You could make a case for either lineup, but Elliott deserves the a-mid spot, IMO.

Rodriguez is now questionable with a hamstring strain? Ugh.

I'd rather have Wolyniec start than Buddle or Testo. Yet he isn't even one of the Twelve. Is his minor nick not so minor?

Cerritos and Moreno will get open, the key will be marking Chung, Mullan, and Clark close so they can't provide good service.

Hopefully Schulte and Wingert will make a lot of overlapping runs from the back. The Crew need to score some goals to regain confidence.

8. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Yet, leading goal-scorer Jamal Sutton continues on the bench.

9. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hell actually making the subs bench would be an improvement for Sutton.

I like this lineup.

If Loco can't go, get Sutton or Storey out there.

10. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Walt does say that the final eleven had Jamal Sutton and Knox Cameron just barely on the outside looking in -- so perhaps Sutton finally does get his shot at the bench in this match.

11. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio

So he can play the last 6 minutes when we're trailing 3-1.

12. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think rather than watching the game tonight, I am gonna just stick a fork in my eye and save the 2 hours.

13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    do we really have any other options? could anybody post an exciting!!!! attacking!!!! lineup with what we have available?

14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    myshap is gonna meet you at 3pm, beneath the jungle gym, and kick your ass.

15. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    it's 11:08 indy time and hangthadj has entered his unreasonably optimistic phase of pregame preperation.

I am upping my prediction to 3-1!

16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    CBC says Sutton will get the start if Rodriguez can't go.

CBC also throws more shots at the fans who criticize Andrulis.

17. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

details, ho!

18. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I don't hae an online source to cut and paste but Merz writes:

"But it's not the same group that went on an 18-game unbeaten streak last year to give Andrulis the MLS coach-of-the-year award. Now he can't do anything right in the eyes of the fans, whose sole purpose at games seems to be chanting for his resignation or firing."

Article also mentions that we have a PK order set for this game of Elliott, Henderson, then Buddle. That'll give the forwards confidence.

19. Plowmanoo

Plowmanoo New Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Chanting for said regination or firing is about all there is to do at the games anymore, Craig! It sure as hell beats having to watch 90 minutes of what is being sold to us as soccer.

20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad I'm one of those fans who feels he hasn't done anything right in years.

21. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Actually at 3pm I took a shower and now I'm off to Papa Simons for the US game.

I'll take care of Zipsix later, when he least expects it.

22. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You know Hunter and Merz act as if the Fire Andrulis thing just came up last week or something. Maybe they need to be fowarded Fire Andrulis 1-4(and 1.5 as Chelsey pointed out)

He's been a ******** up for 3 years now. The fans didn't like the soccer being played in the 18 game streak which is part of the reason why they aren't showing up this year. You think they might know that.

23. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm feeling Columbus Crew withdraw symptoms right now. The shaking and pacing have started.. this is sad. I need help.

24. TomB

TomB Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbus, Ohio USA
    Here is CBC article:

Crew seeks win to keep season from slipping away
    Saturday, July 09, 2005
    Craig Merz
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Whether the clock is ticking on Crew coach Greg Andrulis’ tenure is debatable, but no one denies that the season is slipping away from his team.

The Crew will reach the halfway point of the 32-game season tonight by playing host to the San Jose Earthquakes, and the specter of missing the playoffs for the third time in six seasons grows larger with each loss.

The winners of the Supporters’ Shield last season for having the best record in Major League Soccer were battered early by injuries that have contributed to a different starting lineup each game.

"The injuries have slowed. We’re not getting them at the pace as we have in the past," captain Robin Fraser said. "More people are healthy. It’s important not to panic."

In addition to the injuries, tonight midfielder Kyle Martino will become the third player to miss a game this season because of a red card.

And another obvious factor as to why the Crew has just one win in the past four games — dropping into last place of the Eastern Conference with a 4-9-2 record — is it hasn’t played well.

"There have been seven or eight times this year in our losses where we missed a great chance that could have changed the outcome or at least the momentum," Andrulis said.

The most notable have been the three missed penalty kicks in four chances, but the opportunities that have gone awry during games have been equally frustrating for the Crew.

In a home game, the Crew was all over the Kansas City Wizards the first 15 minutes but failed to score. The Wizards responded with three quick goals to start a 4-0 rout.

While the Crew doesn’t seem quite as fragile lately, it still has the third-most porous defense in the league after having the second stingiest a year ago.

"Everyone knows the Crew is definitely a good team. They won the Eastern Conference last year," San Jose midfielder Danny O’Rourke said.

But it’s not the same group that went on an 18-game unbeaten streak last year to give Andrulis the MLS coach-of-theyear award. Now he can’t do anything right in the eyes of the fans, whose sole purpose at games seems to be chanting for his resignation or firing.

He shrugs off the criticism by saying he is doing the best he can. But will that be enough?

The Crew is eight points out of a playoff spot, essentially three wins, and could make up ground with a prolonged winning streak. But unlike previous seasons, expansion means two teams will not qualify for the postseason instead of one. The Crew has little chance of catching New England and Chicago, so it must chase D.C., Kansas City and the MetroStars.

The task is formidable. After playing three of the next four games at home, including tonight, the Crew will begin August knowing nine of the final 13 games will be on the road, where it is 0-4-2 this season.

"This is an important time of the year," Fraser said. "There is an understanding among each player that we are getting better, but we haven’t gotten the results we want."

Or need.

cmerz@dispatch.com

25. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything will be allright as soon as the Crew make it to that last stretch where 9 of 13 games are on the road. Everything wrong will become right.