Crew vs. Earthquakes :: Pre-Game

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pi : Phi. Interesting prediction.

I would've gone with 1/L : e, but that's just me.

2. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to call out FF on that one, but I figured that someone else would call me out as a nerd. I'm just thankful there are other geeks here to commensurate* with.

*Yes, I know that I used the wrong word. After admitting that I understood the prediction, I had to dumb down my post quite a bit!

3. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    It seems like San Jose have no defence. Stalemate it is then.

4. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, it's the resistable force against the movable object? I can taste the excitement!

No, wait - that's just bile.

5. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are we playing a 4-4-2? Seriously? Wouldn't most, if not all agree that JW is an improvement over Gaudette? Close to on par with Buschie.

Let's fill the midfield with 5 and try to stuff them up.

------------JW-------------
    Kelly----Fraser-----Marshall
    ------Elliot---Wingert------
    Loco-----Szetela-----Hendo
    -------Buddle/Woly-------

6. Dave Han

Dave Han New Member

May 6, 1999
    Auburn, AL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pi Phi night at the Hunt?

I might fly in from Llandudno.

7. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tri-lambs will be selling pi's to try and win the greek title...

Oh, and I think we were in a 4-4-2 before we ever lost Busch. I doubt you'll see us ditch the 4 in the back anytime too soon. It's the only thing that keeps about 40% of our games close.

8. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You going to give your guarantee?

9. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    CREW SOCCER NATION GM/COACHES FORUM
    Gold and Black Crew Soccer Nation members are invited to join us from 5:30-6:00 next Saturday, July 9 for the second of three GM/Coaches forums. This is your chance to get up close to the GM and/or the coaches. Please come to gate 6 and present your membership credential and you will be admitted to the stadium club. This is the second of three exclusive forums.

10. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CREW SOCCER NATION MEMO ADDENDUM
    After this exclusive forum, all credential carrying members will have their membership number placed into a hat and drawn out randomly. As your number is drawn, please form a queue to help in the public beating of Coach Andrulis. Official Columbus Crew toolsets (hammers, screwdrivers, and 4 lb. crescent wrenches) will be available for purchase at the front of the queue. All proceeds from the sale will go towards the Greg Andrulis rehabilitation and retirement fund.

11. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    I like the and/or part. Who shows -- McCullers/Andrulis; McCullers/Warzycha; or just McCullers?

12. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad the forum wasn't to welcome a new coach.

13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Not this time, dear. Sorry.

14. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    3-1 Quacks. Way too much going on in the offensive end for our new backs to cover. GA - PLEASE let Schulte and Kelly penetrate more than rarely. IF we don't pressure their D - it could be 5-1.

The quacks are fun to watch and My 2nd (yes -- SECOND) favorite team going back to the MLS Cup in CCS. Entertaining ball.... If they get ahead they may even, gasp, increase the pressure to keep 8 of our guys 90 yds. from the goal. I know, I know, really radical tactics. What can I say?

15. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    San Jose hasn't won in Columbus since 1996. They have no chance.

3-0 with goals from Marshall, Buddle, and whoever plays in Martino's spot.

16. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Except when it counted.

17. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    to all those that will be attending this game, i do have to say that my heart goes out to you. but i do commend your loyalty consistently going to games and watching this train wreck in person. i have to confess that if i were in town i would be there too. luckily for me i am out of town, and will be for the next 5 weeks. that being said, onto our match saturday. basically, at this point i think that greg has two paths which he can go. one is to "stick with his guns". keep starting the same people he has been, maybe the ship will become rightened, and some results may follow. that's a very distinct possibility, and most likely the one he will do if history is any indication. the other is to change everything, to take the mind that "we're in last place with you guys starting, and i'm pretty sure that the worst we can do if we thoroughly change our line up is to stay in last place."

of course, i'm only really saying this because i'm sick (like everyone else) of our loyalty being taken for granted and of our beloved team being run into the ground. if i really wanted i could just go off right now (i've had a couple whiskey shots and could really blow off some steam) but it'd just be preaching to the choir.

2-1 Quakes in an prodigiously boring affair. almost like kissing your sister.

18. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Well, at least if the Crew suck we can always see some cool cars at the Goodguys PPG Rod and Custom Nationals at the Expo Center. There's definitely more power there than in the Crew's offense.

19. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    We've sunk so low...that even Bob Hunter doesn't mention the Crew in his weekly Friday "Rumblings" section this week.

20. TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight Vote Kodos in '08!!

Jun 29, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    At least I didnt have to read any more depressing Crew news in the Rumblings section today.

21. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess CBC didn't drop off his weekly cribsheets for Hunter in time yesterday.

22. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Tino Palace claims he'll be watching this game this in his craptacular "Clean Sheet" column on MLSnet this week.

"If the Crew keeps losing you have to wonder...."

Little does he know we are gonna win 3-2.

23. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The sad thing about this lose is going to be SJ is so easy to beat out of Spartan Stadium.

It's the same thing the past 5 years, keep their wide mids wide not letting them cut inside and keep physical bodies on their forwards. This team is built for Spartan Stadium, they have to shorten the field in order to win. If you do those things they'll run themselves out of the game on a big pitch like CCS.

I just don't think Kelly and Schulte have the skill to contain Mullan and whoever they have on the left. Crew lose big time in this game.

24. Plowmanoo

Plowmanoo New Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    We've had a hard enough time trying to score with our closest thing to an attacking midfielder (Martino) on the pitch, how the hell are we going to create any offense with him sitting out, and Glen still gone. Cornell was the only striker we had that could possibly create something out of nothing, but now we've got Buddle, because let's face it, Greg will start him every chance he gets and probably Woly. But our midfield will have Mario running up the wing all night, or until Greg decides he's run enough, Henderson on the other side, with a huge gap between those two because we're going to have Elliot and Wingert/Szetela/someone else in the middle, none of which are terribly good in an attacking sense, at least that we've seen.

We might get a goal off a set piece or something, but I don't see it.

SJ 2-0

25. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    According to Walt who visited practice today...

....................Walker
    Schulte...Marshall...Fraser...Wingert
    .....................Elliott
    Rodriguez...Szetela...Henderson
    ...............Buddle...Testo

Interesting.