Crew vs DC :: Pre-Game [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by crewzer1308, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    This should be an interesting game.

At least Walker has had the chance to practice with the defence.

Will El Loco manage to complete more than 3 crosses?

Will Elliott make more forward passes than backwards ones?

Will Hangs guarantee go up the spout again?

Will the forum go into meltdown if we lose?

2. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Here's another thing I don't get. Eric Vasquez shares the Reserve league lead in assists with Knox Cameron. Gets no 1st team playing time. Yet Armstrong joins the Crew in the last week, a player that had to go all the way to the PDL to find a club before Columbus, and immediatly gets minutes.

It just makes no sense to me. Why should these kids even try to play hard in reserve games now? Other then lossing Szetela and Gallardo to the U-20s, you have to wonder if maybe that's a reason the reserves lost 2 straight games.

3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubtful.. I think the worst of ones that I can remember is after the playoff match versus Revs last season.

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No, we'll still be stuck in 'hostile apathy' mode. nothing more or less.

5. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Unless Greg does the honourable thing and quits.

The forum would be dead, nothing to moan about.

6. TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight Vote Kodos in '08!!

Jun 29, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    I think everyone would complain that he wasn't shot, castrated, disemboweled, dismembered, kicked, punched, and incinerated once he left his office for good.

7. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    GA's inability to coach and motivate would not make the reserve guys play less hard in reserve games. We can't blame that on Andrulis. The thing is, if he were to reward a guy who has been playing good in the reserves with some PT, that would make the reserves play harder. I just don't think it goes the other way.

GA's just missing an incredible opportunity to motivate the bottom half of the roster. Instead of pulling a guy out of the reserves to play, he insists on recycling the same 13 guys it seems, just moving them around to different positions it seems when a player is out.

8. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin

Perfect description - hostile apathy.

9. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    Walt Wheeler says on SCN that Andrulis' team is as follows: Walker; Kelly, Fraser, Marshall, Schulte; Rodriguez, Elliott, Martino, Henderson; Wolyniec, Buddle.

Yes, that's right, over half of our starting lineup just came into the club this season.

What the hell did Wingert do to get benched? GA's an idiot.

10. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Starting 11 is...

....................Walker
    Kelly...Fraser...Marshall...Schulte
    ....................Elliott
    ....Loco................Henderson
    ...................Martino
    ..........Buddle.........Wolyniec

Walker will wear #88

11. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    Two more things to add:

1 - Fred Adu returns to the site of his best game as a professional.

2 - Fraser got fined $500 and if he gets a card in this game, he'll be out for the next game.

What did Fraser do to get that fine? I still haven't watched the game. $500 is a relatively big fine for MLS.

12. TheBoyAintRight

TheBoyAintRight New Member

May 10, 1999
    Great...we're going to play a 7-0-3. Last home game we played w/ 6 defensive minded players and now with Schulte and Kelly "protecting" the outside I seriously doubt Loco and Hendo will feel comfortable staying up high very long.

TBAR

13. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was prolly for kicking one of KC's players after fouling him. I don't remember who it was and when it happened though.

14. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus

Adu's great game was the one at DC.

Fraser got fouled by a Wiz player and retaliated. Prus could have red carded him but didn't. This is a bit of a makeup call but warranted.

15. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    I'm thinking it will be interesting to see whether Schulte and Kelly will be released to make overlapping runs down the side and join the attack or will Hendo, Loco, and Martino be forced to make all the offense for Buddle and Woly? I have to believe Elliott will be laying back to cover for the rookie defenders, but a surprise move would be to let them downfield ( OK - highly unlikely given the predictability of our "tactics").

DC is weak in the back and Schulte knocked in a nice cross against KC, so what's the risk? DC's forwards and wings can easily outquick Schulte if they can lurk forward and play simple D. I have NO idea whether Kelly has dribble/cross skills, but DC probably doesn't either. If we want to knock the Scum out of their game we probably need to confuse their backs and middies and force Gross and some of the other back so Moreno and Gomez can't have easy targets to break the ball to on the outside.

Radical, but worth the risk IMO.

Way too crazy? Come on you coaching types - I can take the heat...

16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Kelly should at least have dribble skills. He was recruited to Virginia and St John's as a forward originally, before injuries to other players turned him into a defender.

I only know this cause he's a South Jersey kid.

17. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kelly and Schulte are both starting? ****

I really want to stay optimistic about this match, but that type of info makes it hard for me to.

18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

would the hangthadj guarantee help?

or howbout this....

DC hasn't won at Crew Stadium since 1999.

19. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

First one let's me know who I can take my anger out on and the second one will just depress me on my drive back to NE Ohio. That's if we lose. Which we won't..... right?

Thanks Hang.

20. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin

Welllllll, in that case - bring on those South Jersey (a wholly more desirable and civilized part of Jersey) skills and let the big dog RUN. I don't know his speed, but neither does DC and I've observed he has better wheels than Schulte, if less experience. Let Gros and Olsen defend some. I's hard to get into the flow from the 6 yd line.
    Besides, I'm sure he's been to the "Shoa" and is used to the crowds...

21. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya know, I still really hate these guys. If their plane crashed and their twisted, mangled bodies were strewn over a 10 mile swath of countryside, I' consider it proof of a just G*d.

And that's just their fans.

Go Crew.

[​IMG][​IMG]

22. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Embrace that hate this evening. It's only proof that you are a man of principle and child of God.

23. Celticbhoy14

Celticbhoy14 New Member

May 30, 2003
    It depends
    Armstrong is a desparate attempt to make it looks like the Crew is putting for this big effort...I'd rather see the kids in there than this chump...I remember all of the "hub bub" on this guy and he's not done a thing.

24. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    100 prayers on your knees, on a stone floor (gravel optional) to Jackson the patron saint of Immoderacy...my son. May Lucretia, the godess of indifference, have mercy on your bipolar soul.

25. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    When the sun rises in the East all is well so you know that Droolis had nothing to do with it.