Crew vs. Dallas :: Post-Game [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Missionary, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gaven was the MOTM.

2. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Crew v. Dallas-April Fools Day Special

grouchy point

3. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just dont see Mendoza fitting in with the kind of team the coach is trying to put together. He prefers gritty knock down players (like Lenhart was). Renteria was an improvement when he got in. Not because of any particular skill but because he was willing to fight and be dangerous. Also I though Duka was a very good sub for Ekpo.

Defense was good.

Gaven was great. And of course I am glad Robbie got an assist. One goal and one assist i in three games is not a bad start to the season.

4. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

mendoza ********ing blows

5. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009

___________Cunningham/Heinemann____Renteria__________

______________________________Duka

Rodgers__________________________________________________ Gaven

___________________________Rusmir/O'Rouke

Francis/Balchan______ James/Iro_________ Marshall___________ Miranda

______________________________Hesmer

Depending on how is healthy i think this should be next weeks line up against Chivas.

6. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This x sideways eight.

Think about it.

7. jhsuosu

jhsuosu Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Hilliard, Ohio

Can we revoke Mendoza's DP status and give it to Gaven?

8. clevelandstoker

Aug 12, 2004
    Youngstown, OH
    Club:
    Stoke City FC

Mendoza is just trying to establish the Mendoza Line in soccer. Give him a break.

9. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I would put in Ekpo for Duka--but have him play more as a withdrawn forward than a box-to-box midfielder. This is more of a 4-3-3 than a 4-4-2. I think our defense is stout enough to be able to handle most teams--and we will be potent that way. Despite his poor showing, I would put Mendoza in the mix with Cunningham and Heinmann--all three need to prove they are worth starting. Renteria is a lock.

10. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nice to have another 3 points. It was not a very good match though. Ekpo was once again deserve of much ire, as is Mendoza. Rogers was of little value before his assist.

Gaven MOTM. Lots of positive play. Miranda and Marshall are doing well in the back.

Mendoza needs to clean off the schmegma from his little hat and learn to play the game. There is little value to him out there especially for his price tag.

11. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH

You're so clever!

12. Brutus112

Brutus112 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    New Albany, Oh
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yup... and I really don't understand the Ekpo project. I don't see it working out. Duka for Ekpo...

Since I've been down on Rogers lately, I'll man up and give him some props for going at people tonight. He played well.

I'm also going to choose to ignore the fact that our midfield looked a lot better once we were up a man. I'm going to use this week to delude myself into thinking we're starting to figure some things out....

1 person likes this.
  13. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, you're so clever.

14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH

Nuh uh! YOU are.

15. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Passing was much better tonight. We are starting to see the quick passing that I believe we have been trying to develop from the start of the season. I still expect it will take more practice to get where we want to be.

I think Resmir was subbed out because he had a yellow, and with Jackass Jair in the center, a second was possible to even up the game. So a smart move to get him out of there. Ekpo had one also, so it was good to get him out too.

16. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Still no Iro though. Thats one heck of an under-utilized player.

17. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The last game Crew complted 80% of its passes and this game they completed 75%.

18. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mendoza the sneaky bastard grabbed Shea's wrist slapped his hand with the ball to try and get a PK, but then he fell on the ground like a sack of s%#€ asking for the hand ball.

19. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998

Their double sub was strange, it seemed to take an age to sort out. I kept looking for the numbers on the board but never saw anything come up. Was the 4th official off for a deuce or something?

Anyway, take the three points. 2nd clean sheet in a week. I'll take that, too. Red card changed everything. I bet that little Jackson just decided after the first yellow, "you know what, f*** it. I'm outta position, it's freezing out here. I'm done with tonight."

Natural sub, but glad that Bob made it, pulling off Rusmir after his late yellow, and getting Renteria on.

Burns was immense I thought. Haven't seen any numbers but I reckon he probably won anywhere between 6-8 tackles (though there was the rash one late), kept it moving. Job done.

Another assured performance from JJ. Reminds me a bit of Akwari, a bit undersized and maybe lacks a yard of pace, but he gets it done. Loved him gee'ing up Cunningham after Jeff came back and did the dirty work defending in his own penalty area. That's the type of stuff you love to see, from both guys, really.

Wish they could do the Groupon thing every week. Great to see those numbers up there and stick around on such a chilly night.

Pleasing result. Wish Duka would've tucked it away to Hartman's right (which was gaping), but other than that, well pleased.

20. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed, Burns had a very steady game.

21. Hooz

Hooz Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Hilliard, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm climbing out on a limb here, but Robbie has looked pretty good in the last two games. He was actually pretty dangerous tonight. Decent crossing, a nice shot (saved, but it was on frame from a difficult angle) and an assist.

I've been hard on him in the past, but why is it that he is just now (finally) starting to show a little in the midst of all the trade hubub? Seems like maybe he was playing pouty before and now he wants a nice highlight reel for the European scouts or something.

I was pulling for JC to get his goal tonight, but I was also secretly hoping he didn't because I couldn't make the game tonight. Damned Friday night games and family commitments.

22. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

On Robbie, I think its maturity. He is not going to let negative coaching affect his play.

JC will get his goals soon. He was a step up from Mendoza I thought. Its a damn shame he was not subbed it at the half or he would have had the pk.

23. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, that double sub was very strange. The 4th official had a numbers board, but for some reason didn't use it. So nobody knew who was supposed to come off. After a substantial delay, both subbed out players left from the far side of the field.

But then only 3 minutes extra time was given, and Hartman's injury took at least that long. I was expecting more. Maybe Jair blamed Dallas for screwing up the substitution, and gave them no credit?

24. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998

Excellent point, I hadn't thought of that. Actually, must spread.

25. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus

Renteria for man of the match. The offense came alive once he was in. Mendoza to the bench. Is his contract guaranteed? I thought subbing ER in for Rusmir at the half was fine. Up a man it make sense to add firepower and Rusmir seemed to lose his cool at times in the first half and was a risk for a 2nd yellow. I think Marrufo is really trying to be nice to the Crew since the jersey scandal. We get redcards in the last two matches here and a PK. I thought John hit Ekpo initially outside the box.

Hyndman didn't help his team any with his subs or lack thereof.