Post-match: Crew v. San Jose 6/2/10

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Missionary, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point on the road

2. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we change the name of the thread to "Missionary defends another poor performance by Rogers; this time SJ"

3. BeMassiveSoccer

Jul 27, 2007
    Relegation Zone
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Two leads that we lost, very quickly after scoring. Both times. But a point on the road isn't the end of the world.

4. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two Words

********ing Pathetic

:(

5. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kidding right?

6. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to cut Garey. Freakin' useless.

7. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not the best result, but I'll take it. I definitely think we need a win in Colorado though, we don't want to waste our games in hand.

8. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Disappointing to be sure, especially surrendering two leads, but I don't think "f#*^%ing pathetic" is an accurate description.

9. bergbros

bergbros Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Galloway
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garey set up the first goal by knocking it to Gaven. Not bad game by him

10. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your not defending his poor decision making and inability to finish this week?!?!

Hallelujah :eek:

11. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we learned that Renteria is not a right wing. Gaven is more effective in the middle. And the team has to learn (again) to hold the lead.

13. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see us run Renteria out there as a forward like he's supposed to be. I think he'd be far more dangerous than our other options.

14. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every pass went through Crew players legs. They acted like hey never played before. The only players that had a clue of what they were doing was Guille, Ekpo, Gino, and Renteria. The rest might as well been blindfolded.

15. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marshall played pretty well I thought

16. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need a 2-stick featuring those words and Seth Bullock. Or somehow Chad Marshall in the right clothes (and with a Van Dyke).

[​IMG]

I think some people need to visit their doctor for either anti-depressants or anti-psychotics. 6 wins, 3 draws, and 1 loss, and the season is "over"? This game actually increased our odds of making the playoffs, and our projected final position.

God, I hate this place.

17. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. In most everywhere else, a draw on the road is considered a good thing, and seeing as we haven't lost to anyone except a team that has only allowed 2 goals all year, I think we're fine. The SS may be looking less likely, but I'd say we're not really in danger of missing out on the playoffs at the moment.

18. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Crew = MASSIVE!

Crew Fans = MANIC!

19. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll make the playoffs. Im saying season over as in no trophies for Columbus this year. I hope im wrong. We just tied a team that TFC beat by 2.

20. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm done with Robbie Rogers. He killed off at least four promising Crew attacks in the second half alone.

I thought Renteria was great tonight. I was disappointed to see him come off. I'd like to hear Bob's thought process on that move. Given that he didn't play the entire match, I'd like to see him start again on Saturday. Although it wouldn't surprise me Ekpo started, seeing as he played fewer minutes, it's a quick turnaround, and it's at altitude. I'd be OK with that too. But I expect to see Renteria get more and more minutes after what he's done so far this season.

Garey poked the ball loose for Gaven's goal, but was relatively quiet after that. I thought Gaven had a strong match as well.

Schelotto had a couple un-Guille like touches, but he looked closer to 2008 form than he has for most of the season. Good service on the assist.

Marshall and Brunner did well in the middle. Marshall bags another set piece goal. Padula had a good match. Zayner was decent, but you have to stay away from dissent yellow cards when you're a defender. He was a little unlucky to give up the foul that led to the equalizer; thought he was trying to pull out of the challenge and lost his footing.

Not a great game for Hesmer. Got beaten near post on the first goal, and looked a little indecisive on a couple crosses. Did have a nice save on Convey.

Overall, I thought we were the better team. It's unfortunate not to be able to win when you hold the lead twice, but I'll take the point. Would have liked to have been able to get another goal during the extremely crazy start to the match. But I like the fact that Bob made the decision to play Gaven, Renteria, and Rogers all at once (with Gaven in the middle) and we were able to control the match. If Renteria can play the left side, maybe we can go with Renteria-Gaven-Ekpo at some point.

21. DancingKevin

DancingKevin Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say let them jump off the bridge now to free out some space in Nordecke for fans who can actually enjoy the best start in team history. I can't believe people are pissed off with a first place team in the east drawing a game on the road with a very good San Jose team. Get a grip I know of 14 teams that would love to have our record. :rolleyes:

22. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Renteria has no touch, cannot hold the ball, plays no defense and cannot pass. He is muscle forward.

23. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to disagree with you on the touch comment. He's made some great passes and handles the ball pretty well on his runs. I'll grant you the defense comment, but then again several of our players have that problem.

24. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell's the matter with you?

First, in case you haven't noticed, TFC is actually halfway decent right now. They're 5-4-1, and actually managed to get one of only two positive results ANYONE has gotten from the Galaxy this season. So don't worry about what San Jose did against TFC -- it's irrelevant.

Second, in case you haven't noticed, Columbus is still unbeaten on the road.

Third, in case you haven't noticed, Columbus is still in first place in the East. Three points clear of NYRB with a match in hand, and five clear of Toronto.

We just got a point on the road, in a match where we were even, if not slightly better than a pretty decent club that was 5-3-1 coming in. CALM THE F*** DOWN.

25. bergbros

bergbros Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Galloway
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on all counts. Man, you just can't please some people here. All of this doom and gloom from a West Coast Road tie in the middle of the week against a quality side that was desperate after getting spanked at home the week before. Chees.