Crew v Red Bulls: MIB Match 2

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Jul 16, 2020.

1. ColumbusOwl

ColumbusOwl Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Apr 17, 2017
    The back line were beasts tonight especially Mensah. Suffocating. Helped by the fact they were so gassed chasing the Crew around they had nothing in the tank when they had the ball.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  2. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Fantastic result. Next game we bunker in the box and play for the tie. These injuries suck.

3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree completely on us being a contender. Still only 1 real game with our preferred XI starting. Wormgoor. Valenzuela. Santos. All missing games.

I also have had the thought that it would be so Crew to be really good the year we cannot go to games, and have the season cut real short. And possibly no MLS Cup.

Still, if one team won the MLSisBack tourney AND won the truncated SS, they'd have to give it to us, right?

4. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eff that. I want that SS. And I want to knock Atlanta out. Again.

Rest Nagbe if we have to. But Zelarayan should be fairly fresh, as are all the wingers. Artur played 30 minutes. Afful sat. Hopefully Valenzuela can give Jimenez a blow sometime next game.

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think someone tried to ask that during the press conference, but it ended up being lost in translation and/or chopped up due to an internet connection.

With advancement to the next round clinched, do we play some of the scrubs and rest the starters or do we go for the win?

At first, I was thinking to rest the starters, but it's three points in the standings, that's also a very valid angle.

With five subs allowed, I'd also think about going gung-ho in the first half and then using one or two subs at the half.

Both sides to the argument are totally valid.

6. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that I've seen this game, I'm leaning towards taking it easy against Atlanta.

Nagbe is gimpy. He's way too important to screw around with. Room, depending on what his injury is, may not play. Mensah took a knock late, and despite appearing to shake it off, he's played a lot of minutes on short notice. And if this was actual regular season play, with this next match happening on a shorter week, we would probably see some squad rotation as a matter of course anyway.

Tobias C repped this.
  7. 614life

614life Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I have to say I'm loving the pre-season-but-with-implications feel of this tournament.

Even if that's not what it is.

Then again, for you existentialists, what is this, really?

8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I caught most of it! Fell asleep evidently like a minute before the second goal and woke up again around the 85th. From what I saw it was never in doubt.

Tobias C, kgilbert78 and redi44crew repped this.
  9. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crew are the team we thought they could be. Wow.

10. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the SS just fine but I'd happily trade it for winning this tournament.

Two points:

First, this is an exact copy of a World Cup bracket, and there isn't a team on Earth that would send out the regulars for a bracket final after they've already won the thing.

One sloppy tackle, one foot accidentally stepped on, one collision in the box and we get to watch them carry Zelarayan or Nagbe or Mensah or Artur or Room or Valenzuela or Santos off to surgery.

Nobody takes that risk. Nobody.

And that's aside from the fatigue factor; a couple other teams are already through as well, and their key guys will likely sit out game 3. So when we meet in the knockout round, their best guys will be rested and ready, while ours are still shaking off 90 minutes in brutal heat.

I'd send out the trainers and equipment guys if I could. Yeah I get that this is a regular season game which will count in the end, maybe. Don't care.

Second, as I've been preaching all year, Atlanta just isn't that good any more Losing Nagbe was huge, and Josef Martinez ripping up his knee in March was a catastrophe. Julian Gressel, Leandro Gonzalez Pirez and Tito Villalba are all gone too. What they do have is Frank DeBoer, whose managerial skill is so adept that last night he subbed out the closest thing he has to a forward, Crew and USL reject Adam Jahn, for Edgar Castillo and then subbed out Castillo.

So far this tournament, they have zero points and last night they were unable to score a single goal against maybe the worst defense in league history. Don't tell me about being a man down or FCK bunkering in. They still stink and a super-duper team would have scored one goddam goal at least.

Bottom line, they don't scare me one damn bit. I'd wouldn't even let the big guns wear uniforms. Send out the kids and let the chips fall where they may.

And frankly, with a tired, demoralized, confused and badly led ATL, they have a really good shot at winning.

Tobias C, KCbus and zman31 repped this.
  11. QuarkspaceDotCom

Mar 14, 2000
    Deep in the Bluegrass Hinterlands
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    The Two-Nil scoreline flattered the Rotmasters.

Tobias C and zman31 repped this.
  12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Agree completely on us being contenders....

1283764950729658369 is not a valid tweet id

13. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After reading through this thread, I must say: The board requires you to do PBP for every Crew game. Please and thank you.

redi44crew repped this.
  14. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    That was a strong performance. At the start I was worried about Berhalter being out there but he played well. Nagbe and Zelarayan were able to break the press pretty routinely and the long passes over the top to the flanks made the pink cows look foolish. NYRB lack firepower but holding any team without a shot on goal is impressive.

Let's hope Room, Mensah, and Nagbe are ok. I'd continue the squad rotation but play for 3 points vs Atlanta.

15. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    My thoughts after the game. Completely dominated NYRB with 3 starters missing in the back, a rookie making his first ever start at d-mid, and one reserve winger. And that's against their vaunted press which forced us into some boneheaded turnovers at times but with zero shots on goal against.

9 - Zelarayan, Zardes, Santos: they just make things happen. What a sweet assist from Santos. Perfect pace on the pass. Great finish by Zardes. Santos was the victim of Jansen's only save off the game and Zardes was the victim of a great defensive recovery. And Zardes should have had his assist. Zelarayan just shows up for a moment of magic every game. That finish was f-ing good and a rolling ball, hitting it dead center into the bottom corner. Jansen at 6'5" had no chance to get there.

8 - Nagbe, Mensah: Mensah was a God back there who decided to give NYRB a couple of chances to beat him. Maybe he was toying with them like a cat with a mouse. The "Mensah moments" though bring him down to eight. Nagbe is like the white noise machine that relaxes you and let's you sleep in peace. You know that there could be three guys attacking him and he won't lose possession.

7 - Mohktar, Williams, Jimenez, Berhalter: Mohktar with the "Oh so close almost Goal of the Week". It wasn't just the chip but the setup prior to make space to get it off. Very involved in the game both outside and in the 10 spot. Williams and Jimenez deserve a 7 because, you know, NYRB had ZERO SOG. Williams had a few clearances on loose balls and crosses into the box that could have been trouble. Nothing dangerous came from Jimenez side except for a quick throw-in into the box. Berhalter had a rough start to each half but from minute 10 until the end of the half he played with a confidence level of someone who has been in the league for many more years. Good composure for 40 of almost 60 minutes on the field.

6 - Artur, Diaz, Cadden, Etienne, Morris: Maybe Artur should be higher because he came in and nothing happened but I didn't see him as involved as other times. Diaz showed some speed but his defense was lacking. Cadden needed help on that side and he didn't really provide it. Cadden's crosses looked like pop-ups and he was consistently beaten on his side. He was borderline a 5. Etienne redeemed his "how the hell did he miss that?" moment with two great passes. Morris showed some bite in his minutes on the field.

5 - Room - not really tested but almost got dispossessed by the second attacker leaving an empty goal available, and got beaten near post for a cross that almost became a shot.

NR - Adi: he really played while we were not attacking and killing the clock so, with the exception of holding the ball for a corner kick, there wasn't much for him besides pressuring near midfield as NYRB kept the Crew back in our own half.

Bad - injuries to Nagbe and Room, Mensah banged up.

Against Atlanta, rest Zardes and give Adi the start. Play Tarbell in goal. Start Afful and Valenzuela outside, Keita and Williams inside. Start Artur and Berhalter and give Santos and Zelarayan 60 each. Play Etienne on the left for the 60.

Subs: Mohktar, Diaz, Jimenez, Cadden and Zardes/Sjoberg depending on where we are at 75 minutes.

LastOfEleven, Bill Archer and zman31 repped this.
  16. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay. I am still not 100% convinced this tournament should/needs to be played.

Yet, I have thoroughly enjoyed texting with my group chat (family, of course - brothers, dad, husband) about Crew again. I see the morale boosting firsthand. I suppose it helps Crew look very good...

Also Crew games are an excuse to bust out extra-large onesies on Jules.

[​IMG]

/shamelessly proud mama

17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mods, can we move this elsewhere? This is the play-by-play thread. This is inappropriate. She’s just showing off.

I mean, yeah, that’s an awesome onesie. And yeah, her kid’s adorable. And that smile... and her pride as a mom... aw, damnit, someone’s cutting onions.

Kryptonite, hardhead, Pauncho and 4 others repped this.
  18. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Nagbe guy is pretty good. 111/114 passing through 2 games.

1283984950610612225 is not a valid tweet id

19. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. I debated on whether to share or not to share.

I figured after more than seventeen years and nearly 15,000 posts on this board that I earned enough banked cred to post the picture collage.

LaMacchia, DGA57v2, puttputtfc and 2 others repped this.
  20. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone used to say:

Hey. Cute kid.

TRUJDUB and KCbus repped this.
  21. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pictures are out of order. Last one was obviously taken when Gyasi scored the opener. The first when Etienne missed his big chance. The second when Mokhtar's chip was floating in the air. I'm sorry Chelsea that you weren't watching these moments of the game, but glad you captured the Jules reactions.

TKyle and KCbus repped this.
  22. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooh, good analysis. The scary part is that you’re probably exactly right.

23. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I interpreted them as being:

1. Zelerayan lining up for his free kick in game one
    2. Jules' expression while the ball was in the air (could it be!?!?!?!);
    3. The glorious aftermath.

Either that or @Ch(Elsey) captured him in the act of having a BM, and he just needs his diaper changed.

TKyle and zman31 repped this.
  24. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I think Jules pics should be mandatory after every win.

25. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we need to watch the RSL and Minnesota game to see who they will play in the next round?