Crew v Red Bulls: MIB Match 2

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Jul 16, 2020.

1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nagbe is THE best at what he does. Which is be a possession machine/connector. And he is a good ball winner, too.

Now, he necessitates a 3 man CM, because you need a destroyer behind him and a goal creator in front, but he IS worth it. He just does not put up big fantasy numbers (goals/assists).

As for the last game, yeah, you obviously rest guys with knocks (Room, Nagbe, Mensah) or who are on a yellow (Mensah, Mokhtar), if cards are a thing this tourney.

But there are 5 subs. The first game was a cakewalk & the second pretty comfy for 70 minutes or so. And there is a full 7 days till the next game. I mostly play my guys, though only for 55 minutes or so.

I read somewhere that Room was cramps, if so, then he plays. Toying with a 3-5-2 with Sjoberg in the middle, but no.

Sorry Bill, this is not exactly like a WC group game, it counts for the regular season, too. Porter made a comment about analytics saying only switch 5 guys, if you go more, your win% drops a ton. So I will limit the switches to 5 (Mensah, Jimenez, Nagbe, Cadden, Etienne). Make sure ZZ Top & Pedro don't go 90.

--------------------Room----------------
    Afful---Williams----Keita---Valenzuela
    -------------Artur-------Berhalter------
    Diaz---------Zelarayan--------Santos
    ------------------Zardes------------

TRUJDUB repped this.
  2. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Request denied on account of extreme baby cuteness.

Signed, your local stupidfaces

3. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    On one of the broadcasts, they said the tourney doesn't have special rules for yellow cards so no suspension until someone has 5 on the season.

CBusAlex and TrueCrew repped this.
  4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You FOOL!

If these were action shots from game one, Chelsey would have posted them in THAT thread. Keep up.

5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good info.

OK, then. Rest guys who have knocks (Nagbe, Mensah, Room), or field players who have gone 90 twice (Mensah, Jimenez).

Hopefully Mensah's knock is nothing and Room/Nagbe were just cramps.

6. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The Atlanta game counts for the regular season standings, no reason to rest guys unless they are hurt.

7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also said - twice if not more - that the teams' goal going in was 9 points. Period. And with Porter, well, thats not the kind of thing he bullshits about. Team goals are like holy commandments.

On the other hand, if there's one thing we've learned its that he never, ever tips his hand before a game. But in this case you're probably right.

I just think that you're down there with a hot team right now and you go for it. Who knows whats going to happen. In 60 days. Take what's in your grasp right now.

TRUJDUB and TrueCrew repped this.
  8. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    TRUJDUB and Bill Archer repped this.
  9. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I was skeptical at first about the tournament, but i’ve been really enjoying it. It’s been a nice to feel passionate about something during plenty of gloom. Helps when we are looking awesome.

I just hope we get more games to watch this team after we win the tournament.

Ch(Elsey) and Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  10. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    Through two games, I'm not at all impressed with any of the potential Round of 16 opponents from Group D. Ale Moreno is making comments on the live broadcast of Minnesota and RSL about how toothless these teams have been, and SKC is worse than both.

11. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, look who’s back!
    What you been up to, compadre?

hungariansteven repped this.
  12. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the overall table, Minny is tied on points with us and SKC sits 3rd with 9 pts.

Have not seen them play this time. Though it looked like SKC got some VAR help and a stoppage time goal to beat 9 MAN Colorado 3-2. Opara is out for the tourney.

Of course, Cincy & NYRB don't exactly have a ton of firepower.

13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops. Minny drew! Top of the table.

14. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    I've watched most games in the tournament.

Yes, SKC tonight got a PK off a questionable handball, then conceded while up two players and needed a late deflection OG to win. They credited it to Zusi, but the shot went off the calf of a Colorado defender who'd knelt in the box and that deflection effectively chipped the keeper who was positioned to make the save.

The Minny vs RSL game was so poor that their MOTM was the Loons left midfielder for getting a shot on goal. Messy game with little sustained possession and maybe one legitimate scoring chance. Ale's comment at about the 80-minute mark was, "If you're still watching, MLS should send you a thank you note for your support."

None of these three teams really looked great in their first games either, and Colorado has been listless in both matches. Bottom line, we should draw a favorable matchup regardless of how the group shakes out, at least in my opinion.

zman31 and Bill Archer repped this.
  15. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, of course, did not hear this since I turned the game off about the 75th minute because I was so bored.

hangthadj and CBusAlex repped this.
  16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Good to see you again.

hungariansteven repped this.
  17. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I’ve been lurking and reading the forum, just haven’t posted in a while. I’ll probably get back to posting a bit.

Just living life. Working from home and my fiancé is back to work from being furloughed, which is nice. Getting my sports fix with European soccer games and now MLS is back. How are you?

TKyle and Bill Archer repped this.
  18. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Thanks! I’ve been lurking. Catching up on posts weekly. Hope you are doing well.

puttputtfc and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  19. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Livin’ the dream.
    Work has been swamped, the wife’s working from home (and we’re both grateful to be working), lost some weight, it’s too damn hot, and the Crew are doing well.

Oh, and I’ve been elevated around here. Now I’m a Post Turtle.

"When you're driving down a country road and you see a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that's a Post Turtle. You know he didn't get up there by himself; he doesn't belong there; you wonder who put him there; he can't get anything done while he's up there; he’s elevated beyond his ability to function; and you wonder what kind of dumbasses put him up there to begin with!”