Post-match: Crew v. Rapids: Nordecke-gate discussion.

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by HardHatMike, Jun 26, 2011.

1. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm sure there are lots of other people out there who enjoy freaking out on Facebook and online message boards regarding 2000 people having a great time by harming absolutely nothing.

Two things: 1) There have been several - shall we say - vivid verbal exchanges between CSC and individual supporters lately that were totally unnecessary, and based entirely on use of supposed "profanity" in chants. I've witnessed more than 3 instances where individuals were threatened with expulsion solely because of a chant (and no, it's not the stupid YSA chant). I don't think anyone is institutionally "upset with the Nordecke," but there have certainly been tense moments that didn't need to happen.

2) I totally understand where LTA is coming from. They came back to 142 and two matches into their return a big reason that they supposedly wanted to move in the first place crops up again. I can completely understand why they would have thought "You know what, screw this. We want to support the team but we have to deal with this small crap again." They didn't leave the stadium. They just wanted to go somewhere and support the team in their way, make noise, watch the game, and not deal with retarded rules and complaining self-important pirates. Despite what it may have looked like on television, it wasn't a protest, and LTA didn't blow this up into a major issue because, IT ISN'T A MAJOR ISSUE. Like I said before, the only way this turns into a thing is if there's an over-reaction to what happened, which despite what you seem to think, wasn't angry, mean, petty, childish, petulant or any of the dozens of other adjectival bombs you've dropped this morning on a bunch of Crew supporters who just wanted to sit together as one and support the team.

Did I mention that we stayed in the stadium and supported the team? Louder and with more energy than at any time this year? Did I mention that?

I care so much about other fans laughing at us. Anyway, you've done a great job at making it seem like there was a huge protest about moving a drum. Again, there wasn't. LTA just didn't want to deal with it, they moved so they could go and do their thing without having to deal with problems. The vast majority of HSH and a lot of CSU decided that Nordecke is better when we're all together, no matter what section we're in. And the support that we gave to the team (Did I mention that we stayed in the stadium and supported the team? Louder and with more energy than at any time this year? Did I mention that?) proved that. And more people understood what had actually happened than are getting credit for. It wasn't a protest. It was supporters supporting supporters. We're all on the same team, and we wanted them to know that. Yes, it could've been handled better. Add that to the mile-long list of things that could've been handled better in Crew land. Just like this whole thread should be added to the list of making something out of nothing on Big Soccer. Except now we've graduated to making something out of nothing that made something out of nothing. Jeez, it's like an overreaction Inception in here.

That's a horrible idea. Oh wait, you weren't being serious? It's so hard to tell when we're not being called childish, pathetic, petulant, petty imbeciles susceptible to being overtaken by a self-destructive mob mentality. Did I mention that we stayed in the stadium and supported the team? Louder and with more energy than at any time this year? Did I mention that?

See, now I can tell you're being serious.

Really, there wasn't one. It wasn't a protest. We all just wanted to sit together, support the team, and not have to deal with having security hanging over us like they were going to pounce at who knows what. One week it's the F word. The next week it's "HSH ain't nothing to **** with." The next week it's "loitering" on the stairs (yes, during the Chicago match I actually heard a CSC guy tell one fan talking with another at the base of the stairs that he couldn't "loiter" there). The next week it's contraband two-sticks. The next week it's some hilarious invocation of the fire code. The next week it's balloons. You think this is nuts? Just be glad we didn't bring balloons last night. Thank god we didn't do that. Oh the humanity.

Did I mention that we stayed in the stadium and supported the team? Louder and with more energy than at any time this year? Did I mention that?

2. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Saying this was all over one person complaining about a drum is like saying that World War I was all about some Austrian dude getting shot while riding in a car.

Context matters, as scornflakes has put so well.

3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree--but as I also mentioned earlier sometimes when you expect something to happen, it does, even if there really wasn't much there to begin with. I'll bet this whole thing doesn't happen to the same extent without the events in NE just the week before. This was kinda a self-fulfilling prophesy. I'm *hoping* everyone will take a deep breath and take a step back (that includes security).

4. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    By the way, the only bad thing that happened that I noticed was that I saw Kevin, Clem, Ben, Lisa and other leaders working hard and having to split their attentions between FO/CSC and a really great game. They deserve credit.

5. ohiohammer

ohiohammer New Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Circleville
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This "Steve", who is he? Who buys tickets to the Nordecke in the first row, shows up late and expects to sit there? I demand this "Steve" show himself!

As far as the "Family Oriented Atmosphere", I am speaking from a club's point of view. They want kids and families involved. They've said it time and again.

And as far as the comment about the underlying feeling the Nordecke isn't wanted sometimes, I can only speak for myself when i say it just feels like they want to mold us into something I don't think we can ever be. Maybe I am the only one but there are times I really feel like the office wishes we weren't who we are sometimes.

And as far as LTA wanting out of the Nordecka, they just want to play their drums the same way the HSH wants to wear bandit masks and get shatfaced and tell the man to stick it and the Union wants to tailgate, high five each other, then cause birds to fall from the sky with our awesomeness.

We stopped calling the oppossing goalkeeper an anus, we ourselves policed the F bomb chant if nobody noticed, threw nothing onto the field and quite frankly I thought acted like all around nice chaps. Now in return we would like to be left alone until we do something wrong.

The LTA is forbidden to move out of 101. Did you hear us try to sing after the drums moved upstairs? We had to move upstairs with them. All of us white people have no rhythm and were tripping all over ourselves. We needed the LTA to keep our singing on track!

6. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    Wasn't it Mevin's birthday, too?

7. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, a "family oriented atmosphere" for 1 dad, 1 mom, 1 5-year-old daughter, and 8-year-old son costs at least $118.

8. HSH_b

HSH_b New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why the internet is cool.

9. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing I was able to DVR it in HD :)

10. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    That, and Lolcats.

11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ceiling Cat is watching you all.

12. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see some of the people I've talked to today voice the same opinions here that they voiced directly to me. I know I'm not the only one thinking this stuff - I'm just the only one saying it.

Have a good one guys. Go Crew and Viva Mendoza!

13. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Balloons! Great Idea! I am sure we can bring some helium balloons in. Sounds Sweet!

***wait no. it would never pass the Family Orientateded Police because small children can choke on the balloon after they inhale so much Helium they can sing the entire Justin Beiber cd like a chipmuck**

((Yes i did somehow work a Beiber mention into this thread))

14. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

This thread needed more LOLcats

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, yes, yes on both bold parts. I couldn't agree more with the first part. Very few people actually knew WHY they were moving up, but they did it "because others were."

Based on how it went in 202, maybe we should attempt a "mashup" in the Nordecke? If it doesn't work, we could always go back to the current system.

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's also a "once every four years" event. I don't see ticket buyers from 45 (or however many) different states and multiple countries buying tickets to Crew games.

It's important that we seperate an "event" from something that happens almost weekly.

17. jcrocker

jcrocker Member

Jun 1, 1999
    Springboro, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. $108 for 4 tickets to the North End and $10 for parking. Add another $40 for food and drinks and it was one expensive evening. Maybe this is why the stadium was half full.

18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now we're taking subject matter from other threads into this one. :cool:

It sounds like this "Steve" character needs a swift kick of redirection. Here's a sample from the Sam's Army website. I think it still holds true today for all MLS & USA supporters groups:

Hey Steve, are you paying attention? You're in the section, so who really gives a flying crap where you sit...if you insist on your front row seat, that's fine, but you'd better be in the section early.

19. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad someone mentioned that and maybe some science quack here can explain it because I thought sound would mimic temperature somewhat in that it was rise.

This is a great start to the evolving process AWAY from that uncreative immature frat boy chant. It somewhat was started be a handfull of people but like several things, LTAs drums drowned it out:p

20. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm sure there are many who do feel the same way, Bradd. I'm usually with you on everything, just not this time.

On that we totally agree.

Enjoy.

[​IMG]

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not the time for this, but I will say I'm starting to side with (whomever) is against the organized profanity chants (YSA, GTFO, others).

While I love the passion, and some of the chants are funny (.....on those bastards below), mass chants of profanity in a privately owned (semi-public) stadium is a right you absolutely don't have. It wouldn't be tolerated at an OSU game, Reds, Clippers, Indians, Cavs, Blue Jackets. OK, the (Bullshit!) chant will ring out sometimes, but not at the frequency we deliver them.

I just think the SGs are so creative, we should be able to make enough noise, in a clever was, to support our team and degrade the other, without resorting to that type of thing (or at least rarely).

Anyway, not much to do with last night, so carry on.

23. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    I was standing a row above and across the aisle from the guy with the drums and I had no idea what was going on so there is no way that most anyone else would have known. In fact after I saw the activity down front and the guy with the drums moved I looked down to the mullet guy (who is actually pretty cool in my opinion and who my buddy nicknamed ZZ Top) and yelled to him that it wasn't a fire code violation because really it wasn't. There was still easy access to fire escape lanes. But since it seems that wasn't the problem I guess it didn't matter. I talked to ZZ once he had moved upstairs with the rest of us and he said that it was a violation but he was letting that slide but rather the problem was that it was obstructing them from doing their jobs and that there had already been two smoke bombs set off. So all told who knows the reason I'll go with what has been posted.

I only saw LTA moving and then I moved when the rest of HSH moved. I'm a member of the Nordecke so I go with the Nordecke. So all of this "oh it was a protest" BS is just that BS from someone who wasn't there.

I was also standing next to the guy who started the F Bomb chant (Ultra) and ZZ did pull him out and threaten to remove not only him but the entire section if it started again.

As for the scene once we were in the upperdeck it was a blast. I haven't had that much fun in the Nordecke in quite some time. I was talking to a bunch of people that I hadn't met before and everyone was into the game and supporting the team as hard as we could. We were standing in front of a drum and by the end of the game my buddy had a headache from it but he was into the whole scene - not bad for a couple of old guys. If we could keep that vibe going the place would be back to its old self in a heartbeat.

As for "Steve" the guy strikes me as being a completely self absorbed asshat. I would have no problem if that clown went somewhere else. It's pretty obvious that the guy is just there to promote his self. I'm not surprised in the least that the guy threw a tantrum and caused a scene.

I brought a friend to the game who has never been in the Nordecke before and he had a great time. Both before and after the move. He even noticed how heavy handed CSC was being. A little into the game there was a CSC guy on the field with his arms crossed trying to look all hard and my buddy leans over and asks "What's up with that guy?" it was pretty obvious that CSC had their Gestapo act in gear last night.

All told it was probably a lot of stir over nothing but again no one knew what was going on so everything makes sense if you were actually there and saw the events first hand. But it did bring everyone together and I thought that it was especially cool considering the problems that LTA and HSH have had in the past that HSH were the first to choose to move upstairs with them.

As for the FO I'm thinking now that everyone realizes that no one knew what the hell was going on that no one will think twice about it. But I'm also pretty sure that they now know that we all consider ourselves as being one group and that we care if another SG gets screwed over. And as Scornflakes kept pointing out we stayed and cheered on the team even harder. After all that is what we are there for - Da Boyz. It's what we do.

24. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    Word is that the YSA cheer is dead, thank you God.

BA you never and I mean never fail to make me laugh. You a funny man. No one cares if you die choking on your own vomit - pure poetry.

25. machque

machque Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Delaware OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While you're entitled to your opinion, you could very well be the only one. I was part of the move to 202 supporting LTA as we supported the team. That's how I saw it then and see it now.

Were will I be Tuesday? Nordecke. What will I be doing? Cheering for a Crew victory. Might move again, like last year. Remember "der
    Südendecke" the second half of that open game?