Post-match: Crew v. Rapids 10/27/11

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Missionary, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a giant hole in the middle tonight filled (unfortunately it wasn't filled ) by a player who has not seen a minute all season. That left a runway down the middle for Colorado to attack all night.

I was further amazed that Tchani was not pulled early like Burns the previous week. In fact I would have preferred Burns, Duka or anybody else to fill that hole.

That totally neutralized the Crew all night long.

2. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at least I have a totally valid excuse to binge drink tonight.

3. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    If you play a guy with a sports hernia and a guy that hasn't played a minute of an actual game for his current team it seems to me you've conceded the midfield. I think Balchan and Tchani could be a good paring, but not like that.

4. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I agree, I was disappointed they came out with this pairing rather than a 4-4-2 w/ Renteria. But I totally don't understand how you take out Duka and Miranda instead of BOTH of these guys--or at LEAST one. These subbing decisions seem far worse than the starting lineup. I'm going to stop repeating myself and focus on my drinking now.

5. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

why didnt RW put Duka in th middle with Balchan? Duka has been on a little bit of a role so why not put him? That was crazy IMO.

Also, what was the logic of keeping Renteria out most of the game? That was bizzare IMO.

The team was never able to establish a rythm as a result and Colorado took advantage.

6. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so pissed at this team right now.

/2:30 a.m. post

7. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, can anyone explain to me what the hell the Black and Gold were doing last night? They did realize it was a 1 game series, correct? Because the lack of urgency, and intensity paired with the complete indifference tells me otherwise.
    Pair that along with what I can only describe as a completely horse sh*t of a lineup still has me pissed (but not surprised) this morning.
    Renteria didnt start?
    Tchani plays 90?
    Duka gets subbed out?
    RW is still our coach for two more years???
    This might end up being worse than 2005-2007 folks. If you havent yet strap yourselves in for a long bumpy ride.

8. jackmann

jackmann Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Cowtown
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not pissed at the team...just the twit running (or ruining) it:mad:

9. Devilmycare

Devilmycare Member

May 3, 2010
    Warren, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First round Bobby. That's as far as he can take this club. Heck he couldn't even get them to the real first round.

10. Hooz

Hooz Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Hilliard, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tchani couldn't string together two good passes all night, and his marking was bad. He would've been my FIRST sub... Drop Duka back and put Renteria up top.

Why we keep arguably our best forward (highest goals/minute average) on the bench until almost the 70th minute, especially when we're down by 1 at halftime, is beyond me.

That was a seriously disappointing loss.

11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh. Just heard the ad for playoff tickets on WNCI.

12. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kick... meet junk. :mad:

13. YeahMorgan

YeahMorgan Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think we all knew when we saw the starting lineup that this was going to be a classic bobby w playoff meltdown, tactically speaking.

shades of GBS @ RSL.

its not surprising at all.

14. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

People keep bringing last year up. Do you remember what happened last year? We had the 0-0 tie on the road until Frankie got burned. GBS came out firing in the second leg and the D let us down at home.

15. HbaldSguyH

HbaldSguyH Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unbelievable.
    • We are going there to "win" and we play a 4-5-1 which is suppose to get us more possesion (possession was rapids-61 and crew 39) at halftime.
    • Then make no halftime adustment down a goal.
    • Don't bring Renteria in until the 65th minute?
    • What the hell was the whole cunningham sub for 15 minutes then take him out again debacle?
    • Should of played a 4-4-2 with Renteria and Mendoza up top, perhaps balchan and Duka in the middle if we were trying to win the match and thats a big IF.
    • I think Robert was probably surprised after the match when somebody told him they were eliminated because he coached like it was a two match series with a return leg in Columbus this Sunday.
    • Tchani will be good, but not the time to introduce him to the team
    • The team can not complete 5 yard passes consistently if at all
    • Why go away from the forward pair that has helped the team score 7 goals in the last 3 matches
    • Finally, please take down the "Dare to me Massive" playoff advertisement on Big Soccer still!

16. TZPrince

TZPrince Member

Oct 13, 2009
    The big question is do we still get the "Dare to Mediocre" scarf or will those be a T-shirt cannon substitute Game 1 next year?

17. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was disappointing, but is anyone here really surprised? Aside from the coaching staff and front office, everyone could see this coming.

4-5-1? Tchani getting his first action of the year? There's a fine line between madness and genius, but not in this case.

Our leaders ride the short bus.

18. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    On the bright side (because, you know, that's me. Ever the optimist) I'm not nearly as miserable today as I usually am when the offseason begins. Normally, I can't stand the thought of going 4 1/2 months without watching this team. One year I even went so far as to explain to someone that there's a hole in my heart that can only be filled by Crew. (And yes, that is very sad.)

But today I feel relief, not unlike the feeling one gets after finally getting a toothache taken care of, or a splinter removed. The simple fact of the matter is, I could use a few months away from this team.

My optimism will retuen in the spring, most likely. Not because of anything realistic or justifiable. Either I crave the ritual of false hope, or the effort of thinking critically and realistically is just too unpleasant and difficult.

19. footy5

footy5 Member

Feb 27, 2008
    The D
    Man that was hard to swallow. What a depressing Friday. At least this guy gets it:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNooFZPfmgE"]Herm Edwards You Play To Win The Game - YouTube[/ame]

20. cbus3

cbus3 Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 9, 2009
    Paxdecke
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No heart or passion.

I love watching teams that I expect can pull through and win from behind or break ties late. Like USMNT or USWNT during their world cups.

The Crew never had this all season.

I don't dislike tchani, even though he played bad. Obviously put in a dumb situation.

Nyassi and Cummings destroyed us. I thought our D played well, Miranda had a tough job and didn't shut Nyassi down but neutralized him.

Renteria made little impact.

21. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    Viva Mendoza, right?

22. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I suppose it's better than "Viva Las Vegas."

23. HbaldSguyH

HbaldSguyH Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not blame Mendoza for the situation he was put in............expected to score at least a brace while the coach puts you up as a loan forward and then rotates a different forward to pair up with you every 10 minutes for the final 30 minutes of the match.

He's a COLD M*TH*RF*CK*R.....Get use to him because he is not going anywhere!!!

24. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that just read off like, hmmmmm Ohio pro sports fan.:eek:

Due to my lack of Japanese studies lately, I'm not totally ready for those future J-League summers yet.

25. YeahMorgan

YeahMorgan Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all i'm saying is the two scenarios are alike. everyone was thinking it when they saw the starting lineup, and saw renteria on the bench until the 70th minute.

the man has a history of questionable lineup decisions. this we can all agree on.