Pre-match: Crew v NY Red Bulls 5/20

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by myshap, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Bash Brothers played several games last year together, I believe they had 3 starts in a row which included that terrific Garey header in 90th vs Toronto (from memory)

With them in the line up I remember those 2 accounted for 5 goal in those 3 games.

2. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]Lenny,Renteria/Herrera,Gaven,O'Red,Carroll,Ekpo,Padula,Brunner,Iro,Hejduk,Hesmer[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

This is what I'd like to see.

O'RedCard to midfield since Iro has had a pretty decent season and I think plays central D better. That gives you Zayner to sub in for Padula.

Stick gaven out on the left because he's a little better on the left said than Ekpo is in my estimation.

Then I stick Renteria up top just because I really enjoyed how he linked up with Lenny against Chalupa in the CCL. That's my preference although I wouldn't be disappointed to see Herrera up top either.

Garey? He's almost as useful as a drinking cup with a hole in the bottom. Sit him. He'd be a good sub to move 3 up top in the event we need a goal.

3. Elliott

Elliott Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Schelotto response to suspension is:
    "I don't know why Columbus Crew accepts this rule because (Chivas) kick me all game and nobody from Columbus says anything about it with the ref or the league," he said.

"I think the team needs to answer for me and not accept this rule. They should talk to the league and say, 'No.'"

Warzycha says there is no plan to appeal the league's decision.

"You can appeal, but you may get more suspension," the coach said.

_______

We need Warzycha to wake up a remember how bad the crew were without GBS. If he tells you to protest to the league that the sky is green and not blue then you do it. If the wants you to wear a chicken costume on the sidelines just do it! From the GBS benching in the playoffs through this quote above I don't think Warzycha gets it.

4. DhamphirLoki

DhamphirLoki Member

Nov 4, 2008
    The injury report, per Shawn:
    http://blog.dispatch.com/crew/

Looks like the Pink Bulls will be hurting for this game...

5. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, Lindpere has been their ONLY mildly creative offensive midfield threat all year. Nielsen was supposed to help him, but hasn't been up to par yet.

This could turn nil-nil easily if the Crew struggle in the midfield too...

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    er... no!
    - GBS was defo guilty of retribution. The call stands alone.

Lets pay attention to the big picture here. GBS got a PK because the Crew lobbied for Marshall being constantly mugged. And the ref looked for it.

Rather than appeal a suspension, you take in tape of GBS being mugged. WITHOUT using it as a mitigator.

You ALSO show that whazzisass shouldnt have been in the game anyway.. but he was and Robert's right.

And GBS cant/shouldnt play all 90 of both games anyway

Here's the bottom line: If you want good reffing then you dont play the "Well, He deserved it" card!
    -----------
    I wont even comment on the rest of your opinion. Too frekin easy.
    :)

7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much.

That guy was lucky to be on the field, but then again, so was Schelotto. He swung his arm at an opponent and made contact, however marginal, with the guy's head. It's a red card, and the suspension is justified.

Keep your bags packed, and be ready for Sunday.

8. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, MLSS, where do you draw the line? Why not suspend the player for the intentional handball? Why not suspend the referee being a chicken and not ejecting the player? Why not suspend the beer vendors for serving warm beers?

How about a suspension for the handball when Theirry Henry joins Red Bull?

9. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Technically, during last year and i believe in 2008 the stats will support this; We had a better Goal per game and a winning record WITHOUT Guillermo on the pitch.

So we can't make the assertion of "how bad we are without GBS" we're actually pretty good.

...that said
    HELL NO do i want him to miss the game, but *shrug* as people have already said, he got caught committing an infraction. And we get him back for a rested Sunday match.

10. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey now, all my beers were cold, i'd suspend the vendor because he glared at me when I only had a $10 bill to pay for my beer and no tip for him. Sorry dude, be happy with the tips you got from me earlier...

11. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say that I think GBS has been sub par for us much of the year so far (and last). He's not been creating or scoring from the run of play. With the2 d-mids behind him that means we haven't had much through the middle. Maybe this suspension is a blessing in disguise.

Or we just get him back rested for Sunday.

We'll certainly see Ekpo start. Something most of us have wanted to see. We'll also get to see Lenhart paired with someone with a least a bit of speed.

I'd like to see us get a little more creative in central midfield if at all possible. Not sure of the best way to do that. Both guys there haven't done a whole lot to justify their spots the last few weeks.

12. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a fix to that. Drink it faster :p

13. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I don't know if it's ever happened in MLS, but it's happened in other leagues - maybe the Premier League - where the league added games to an original suspension for appealing an obvious decision. Sometimes it's just best to bite the bullet.

14. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, refresh my memory. What was the Crew's regular season MLS record last year without Schelotto in the lineup?

15. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something like 3-0-2
    I know we scored more goals w/o per game than with him.

16. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, with no Schelotto or Rogers, who takes all our corner kicks and free kicks? I'm thinking Moffat.

17. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Padula

18. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Usually Ekpo takes the free kicks when those two are not available.

The lineup I'd like to see:

[lineup-4-4-2]Lenhart, Herrera, Ekpo, O'Rourke, Gaven, Renteria, Padula, Iro, Brunner, Hejduk, Hesmer[/lineup-4-4-2]

19. bergbros

bergbros Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Galloway
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think all of this sentiment for Herrera is similar to those for the back up QB on a struggling football team, except the Crew isn't struggling. Why is everyone jonesing for Herrera to start when he hasn't proven he can? The guy really didn't look good in the exhibitions against college kids and, although he helped spark the winning goal against NE, he has shown he can be a sub. I trust the FO on this one. It looks like Herrera has yet to be fully integrated in the offense or they just don't feel comfortable with Herrera out there.

Lenhart hasn't been involved but I think they will revive the Bash Bros again and pair him with Garey. Both of them seem to be more on synche with each other judging the offensive explosion they had last year.

20. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Isn't Padula in there to sky them over the heads of everyone when GBS doesn't play?

21. AJStank

AJStank Member

Columbus Crew
    Mar 22, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shawn now reporting that Hesmer is doubtful for Thursday night. Could see a pool keeper in as back-up. This is getting worse by the hour, by Thursday the reserves, Lapper, and Iribarren will be suiting up.

22. bob.os

bob.os Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Clintonville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Schoeni just retire so the Hammer can come back?

23. AJStank

AJStank Member

Columbus Crew
    Mar 22, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. bob.os

bob.os Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Clintonville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but did you see the list of people out for the Red Balls? I think their whole team is out. Thursday is going to end up being a war of attrition.