Post-match: Crew v. New England 5/8

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Missionary, May 8, 2010.

1. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a nail-biter at the end, but three great subs and we get the result. I actually liked what little we saw of Herrera, he always seemed to be in dangerous positions, so who knows.

Ekpo looked good tonight, Moffat didn't.

At this point, I'd almost take Garey over Lenhart. Lenny missed some real chances, so maybe sit him a week and see what Garey can do.

3. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A draw would have really been tough to swallow there.

Moffat out. Gaven central, Ekpo out wide.

1 person likes this.
  4. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That third goal was inevitable. We were destroying NER thru most of the game, and especially in the 2nd half. Garey was terrific.

5. apierce61

apierce61 Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lenhart out. Garey in with Herrera coming in at the 75' + and i agree 100% with you

6. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    That game had a little bit of everything for everyone.

Rogers' 1st goal and it's a game winner to boot! I liked a lot of what I saw out of him tonight. Keep it up.

Herrera's 1st MLS appearance! Like some else said, he was always in a dangerous position offensively. Gave up the ball there early on but fought back, played some D and broke up anything happening from it. That being said, he positioned well but I wonder about his speed capabilities, he looked like the kind of person that needs to build up a little steam before he's really moving.

A ton of opportunities to score, we just needed to put them away. Gaven was 6 inches away from ESPN Top 10. Lenhart was dangerous all night but never deadly.

Bobby Rifle still needs to sub a little sooner. And the Garey subbing for Padula was nice for its aggressiveness but we lost ourselves for a few minutes after that while the back 3 tried to settle back into the new formation. I thought we might give up another goal then because NER seemed to smell blood at that point.

7. Devilmycare

Devilmycare Member

May 3, 2010
    Warren, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been much of a Rogers fan but I think he was more troublesome for NE going forward than I've seen for sometime. I still don't understand the subs bring Ekpo and Herrera In earlier and we score 5 goals. Lots of chances guys that is a good sign going forward.

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I dont agree.

Garey did well when he came in but the only reason Stevie looked BAD was he had so many chances, and the only reason he had so many chances is becuase he's always in the right place.

Think about it. One is NOT like the other!

9. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I liked the subs and I loved the finish. It gets tiresome talking about how we should have scored more. It's good enough getting the win and knowing that the goals will keep coming as the team continues to gel.

The first goal Hesmer gave up was just awful. Gaven was fantastic, with a goal, a crossbar, a post, and the best attacking he's done . . . maybe ever. Yeah, Lenhart didn't finish and Garey looked really dangerous. So maybe Jason starts getting some of his minutes. But I wouldn't overdo it.

A tie would have really sucked. Good thing that didn't happen.

10. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a tough one.

Being in the right place is wonderful but it's not worth jack if you can't cash in.

Look, I love Lenhart but let's be honest here, the man has no discernible skills. Attitude and his work rate are great but there are times when they are not a substitute for a little touch.

11. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Shawn's pre-game blog entry:

"--Lenhart was in street clothes about an hour before the game and said he would not play because he had the flu. Thirty minutes later he was bounding onto the field for warm-ups..."

Why start the guy when, apparently, he's not 100% and you have someone like Garey who can start?

12. NoCowsGo

NoCowsGo Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'd add that Garey was invisible from minute 70 until minute 80+, and only really came on after the goal. However his speed was very impressive.

Lenhart made excellent passes all night, showed great hustle, and had many dangerous scoring opportunities. Whether a player shanks a few finishes isn't a good metric for anything.

13. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except, of course, if he's the striker.

14. NoCowsGo

NoCowsGo Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We know he can strike. Remember the goal last week? Remember Toluca?

15. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It aint like he's Shaq at the foul line... these things even out. If only one of those had been clean in he'd get an 8 rating.

He was everywhere and the only one I'll fault him for was the 1 v 1 on Burpo. That was poor.

16. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, that's why I suggested sitting him for a week. Why not give Garey a chance to show he's better. If not, put Lenny back in and it's settled.

17. NoCowsGo

NoCowsGo Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Which is why we should have two strikers up top!

If today shows anything, it's that we can simply blow half the teams in MLS away by playing all out attack football.

1 person likes this.
  18. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    I just think Crew is deep in talent and we could have these arguments forever and there isn't a right or wrong answer: Garey or Lenhart; Moffat or Gaven, so on and so forth. An embarrassment of riches.

Damn. Life is good.

19. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I would have left Gino in but brought Moffat out and put Eddie in the middle sooner.

And Herrera-he is a good luck charm like Padula was during Crew's run to the Cup in 2008.

Rogers was MOTM because he was involved in all three goals but Gaven played very dangerous all nite. Gaven and Rogers are Co MOTM-its truly nice for Crew to have a team with two talented wings.

Hesmer fluffed early but regrouped and had some nice saves late.

20. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on attendance?

21. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should add that Ekpo truly added a new dimension when he stepped on the field.

22. CrewGuy1

CrewGuy1 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    10K and change per mlsnet.com.

23. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, not too bad considering the weather.

24. jhsuosu

jhsuosu Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Hilliard, Ohio
    At least in the past, the Crew's style of play has seemed to suit Lenhart's strengths -- size, physicality, and ability to win and hold the ball -- better than Garey's. However, recently,the Crew have been able to spring the forwards facing goal...an area for which Garey is much better suited.

So, I say give Garey a shot up top.

Also, I think the danger in moving Gaven to the middle and starting Ekpo out wide is that it might expose us defensively. I think Carroll tends to struggle when he's the only defensive midfielder out there. And while Gaven may have developed enough defensively to help out Carroll, Rogers and Ekpo both play very little defense and both have some ugly turnovers on occasion.

As much as I do think Moffat has struggled, I'd be much more comfortable with simply switching Moffat and Gaven, although I think we should bring on Ekpo early when we are looking to push the tempo.

25. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to commend my friends of the Südecke for a fun game tonight although one of the founding members kept being put in time-out for cursing around kids.

Glad we got the three points. It wasn't pretty....but it was three points.