Crew v. Metros (R)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Jul 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not exactly sure if you're ragging on Busch or not. You're right, "tall and lumbering" would have pushed that Andy ball right over the woodwork. However, "scrappy and quick" made up for a lot last night. 6'4"-205lbs is one hell of a keeper, but so is our 5'10"-150lbs.

On a side note: Way to get 10k to your game last night New York. Are you going to be anywhere close on Wednesday??

2. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is it that has historically marked Marmaduke for our boys? I was expecting him to run hog wild all over us -- and was mildly surprised to see him only get 8 or 9 quality chances (insert sarcasm here).

If Clark was trying to keep Busch from being bowled over -- good job, it worked. However, you gave up a PK and should have given up several more goals if it wasn't for luck and good stopping between the pipes!!!

3. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Indeed, ;)

If we beat them in the USOC game, will you make yourself known in those leather pants?

4. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Elizabeth, for someone who says played the college game, you know crap about the game. Maybe you should start paying attention of the details in the game instead of insulting people who have a different opinion than yours. I didn't say that Jeff didn't have a good game. But just because he scored or got an assist doesn't make it a world class performance. He did work hard most of the game, he also was caught offside twice in the first six minutes and one of them was for not coming back when he had time to do so (the only time in the game I didn't see him hustle out there). And he wasn't alone in the above. McBride had a goal and an assist. West had a goal and an assist. Martino had an excellent game. Busch had a fairly decent game (got caught out on crosses a few times; thanks to Faria who can't head consistently on goal, we didn't get hurt). But Oughton was a pest in midfield. He took the ball away and shutdown Williams for most of the first half (when we were actually playing like we cared to win). He was the outlet when Martino wasn't available and looked for either Maze or Martino to spark the attack. He provided cover so that both actually could make runs into the box.

I haven't been wrong about Jeff as you say. It's my opinion, which is shared by some and opposed by others - especially YOU - that Dante and McBride should start and Jeff should see at least 30 minutes each game. It's not my fault that the coach brought him in when it was painfully late in the previous games just as it isn't my fault he decided to bring in Wonder-Boy Warzycha last night.

Jeff scored. Great! Dante scored in two of his last three games. But at least Dante puts shots on goal instead of missing a wide open net, then bouncing the ball off the cop behind the advertising signs. I'm just glad we won and got the three points.

I'd be glad to have a wonderful discussion about soccer, the Crew or anything else. I'm pretty sure that you're probably a wonderful lady once you get past your Jeff-obsession.

5. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    That's the one that Faria had only Warzycha to beat and headed about 6 yards over the net. Busch was caught behind Diallo saying "Oh, sh!t".

6. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    It wasn't meant to be for you but for others who now will paint Jeff as the magical solution to our season. He scored and was dangerous; so has Dante in previous games. I prefer to see Jeff off the bench to use his speed against a tired defense for the last half-hour of the match. Have Dante bang them up and soften them up; have Jeff finish them off. It doesn't work when they give Jeff 8-10 minutes. So, in that case, it's better for him to start. But he needs to finish when he's 1v1 against the keeper; even more when he makes a great move that has the keeper diving leaving an open net. If he's our great finisher, he needs to convert. That's one thing that we can usually depend on Dante doing; give him a chance and he'll convert.

Oughton did the Richie Williams job to perfection. But he also allowed Maze and Martino to get involved in the attack much more than in the past. He did foul, he also played physical to cause turnovers without fouling. He was the lnik between defense and the attacking mids. He showed for the ball when needed letting Maze and Martino stay up much more. And he had a great shot from 25 yards or so. I'd say he had a great impact on this game; in my book MOTM.

7. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't understand people's beef with Cunningham.

The Crew has scored 30 goals this season, 10 of which have come from Jeff. He also has another 4 assists, which means that Jeff has been involved in almost half of all of our goals despite the fact that he hasn't played as consistently as last season.

Give the guy a freaking break. He played well and deserves to play more than 10 minutes a match. I don't care if he is slow to get back on defense. I don't care if he get's 10 offside calls in the first 3 minutes. If he scores goals, he is carrying his load. His involvement in almost half of the Crew's goals this season tell me that he is pulling his weight.

BWG
    Richmond, VA

8. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    I hate guys named Jeff.

Sorry. I just wanted to be Eggy for a second.

9. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more thing. Jeff and Dante's shots to goals ratio is identical. The score 18% of the time when they shoot.

Jeff: 20 games, 55 shots, 10 goals
    Dante: 17 games, 33 shots, 6 goals

Any statement that portrays Dante as a better finisher is bunk.

10. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    The one thing I read into this is that Jeff creates more shots than Dante does - almost 20 more in 3 games. That's great for Jeff and is a reason he needs to be in a match for more than 8-10 minutes. But look at two of the shots that Jeff missed last night.

First, he dekes the goalie unto his butt, then misses the wide open net. Have you seen Dante miss a wide open net? He gets eyes the size of Busch - and he puts it on target; many times into the net (1-0 vs Colorado is a good example of this one).

Second, he gets a through ball from West and hits the cop. Maze took the same chance and forced Howard to save it. Dante took that same angle, with a defender next to him, and scored the 1-0 vs DC. Tough shot but you need to get it on goal. That's the impression we get when we see Jeff and Dante in the box; it may be a matter of perception but recent history just points to it.

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Not that it really matters at all, but how the hell is Cunningham not an allstar. He's been one of the most consistent strikers in the league the past two years. Bizzare.
    I'm not sure people were ever arguing whether or not Dante is that much of a better player than Cunny, I just think it was a metter of how well will he work with McBride and the midfield. And for a while Danyte and Brian were working very well together. That and Andrulis always seems just to stick with a hot hand rather than an actual set starting lineup.
    Just gotta say again Oughton had his best game in over a year last night. Best since the 3-0 win against Chicago.
    It's also funny reading the Metros boards, they were complaining how their subs were Sheppard and Alvarez (?) and how we brought in Dante. Fact is we have one of the best forward corps in the league, and we haven't even mentioned Buddle in weeks. If West can stay on track and Mais actually attempts a shot once in a while there really shouldn't be too many teams in the league that can outscore us. Of Course that is dependant on Greg not packing it in every time we have a 1 goal lead.

12. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's the thing, we should be getting at least 2 goals every game, or at least average that. Of course, look how far that approach has taken NE.

13. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Twellman, Ruiz and Kreis are better.

As for as Jeff v. Dante, I'm squarely in the Jeff camp. I think Dante is an asset, but lets be honest with each other: Dante cleans up garbage in front of the net, Jeff creates opportunities.

Jeff needs to start. No more bring him in at 60 Minutes. He needs to start.

14. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    I would not call Dante's goal vs. DC "cleaning up the garbage" and being in the right place to score is a talent (being in the right POSITION to get the ball AND shoot). McBride, JC, Dante, and Buddle have different skill sets and can all mix well together.

JC had the best skills to go against a slower, physical Mutt back line. Dante does better where he has a strength advantage. JC's a better ball handler -- Dante puts the ball on frame in traffic.

It's nice to have a humvee and a corvette in the garage...

15. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Bill..did you read the paper about what Greg gave Jeff as an assignment early in the season? He was a MID for God's sake. He is not a mid...he is a forward. He was supposed to play a defensive role as well as offensive and Greg screwed up by making that decision. Jeff did what he was told...read the paper.

this is the first time he has been a striker...and a striker only. So do your research. He never was given the go ahead to just score.

16. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all due respect, Elizabeth, however you define Jeff's "role" earlier in the season, he somehow, despite "never" being "given the go-ahead to just score" he somehow managed to score ehough goals to be among the league leaders in that category.

(And to say that Wednesday is "the first time he has been a striker, and a striker only" is, you should pardon me for saying so, preposterous. Do YOUR research)

Indeed, many midfielders score a bunch, and in fact everyone was just last week bemoaning our lack of production from the mids as being a big part of our problem.

And playing an offensive midfield, (which by the way I don't really recall seeing him do that much) is not exactly the same as treating Secretariat like a plowhorse. Did you see Landon Donovan in the WC? Not to mention a certain injury-prone Midfielder in NJ named Mathis.

So no, no one was asking Jeffo to track back into the box all the time, although clearly there's nothing wrong with it, and it wouldn't kill him to try it once in awhile, ala McBride and Washington.

Rather, if you watched the last few games before his ass hit the bench for awhile, his problem was not the position he was listed at; his problem as well-discussed here and elsewhere, was that he reverted to the "old" Jeff Cunningham: get the ball at the edge of the defensive third, and driblle, juke and jive around until he loses the ball. He was, in short VERY ineffective.

And as for as I'm concerned, although he got some better results on Wednesday, he could have showed some better judgement from time to time.

He ought to give Stern John a call. Stern made a bazillion dollars simply by letting BMB be himself; how many goals did he score with simple runs like Jeff scored off of? Enough to lead the league in scoring. He sure wasn't foolish enough to take on the entire defense by himself.

Jeff could become a star and in fact we've all been waiting for that to happen. But let's not dump the fact that he hasn't onto Greg Andrulis' doorstep. GA has some things to answer for, but making Cunningham a head-down ballhog is surely not one of them.

Cunningham has to figure out that this is a team game. He showed some signs of this last week, but IMO the jury is still out.

17. scott tann

scott tann New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    columbus, OH
    match report is up at Cyber Soccer News

CSN has its own photographer in New York, so we have originals in the piece.

the first picture is of busch's PK save. notice the dive. notice the empty seats. it happens when you're 3-6-2 at home. also notice the lack of yellow jerseys following up the shot.

walt's column should be up soon i think.

martino, oughton and cunningham had excellent games. still no real flank play. fortunately the metros defense is particularly soft in the middle.

18. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Really, scott. We know you're cheating and cut and pasting the last part of the article when you still have the weather as "Weather: Clear, 90f/32cWdE8m13k,26%H, Clear" Just like mlsnet.com :)

19. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998

Psst Psst- The Metros don't sell tickets in that endzone.

20. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    eric_d, always trying to whisper sweet nothing in your ear.

You had 10k at a home game, I'm sure even your "open" sections looked just as vacant.
    Go pssst on the San Jose boards, they'd probably enjoy it.

21. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998

Psst Psst I am sure we would have done much better if we had given away some low priced meat by products.

You know for all your bluster, I haven't been all that impressed with your attendance since the year you built your erector set. How many sellouts?

Then again how would you know how the rest of the stadium looked, I heard you chickened out and did not make the trip with your two ********************* buddies. Bailey8 internet cyberwarrior extraordinaire.

22. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well if you must take it there, how many times have you made the trip to Columbus to see your Metros lose?
    I could probably count it using as many fans that I saw in those pictures.

I don't care if you're not impressed with our attendance or not, we make money for this league so you can still have a team in Jersey.

23. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998

Why would I want to go to Columbus???? I have been to plenty of MLS stadiums- feel no need to come see Columbus.

You make money for this league? Prove it. Show me some factual evidence. You can't. Your business acumen is obviously right up there with your soccer knowledge and smack abilities.

24. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    eric, your sister just reminded me that it's time for your prozac.

ok back to the mule honey...

25. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Typical reply:

"Why would I want to go there?"

Well, girlie, why the hell would I want to go to that shithole you call Jersey?

Especially if I know my team will smack you bitches around and steal another 3?