Crew v. Metros (R)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Jul 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plowmanoo

Plowmanoo New Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    That was certainly not West's fault..Dunseth sent a horrid ball towards him that West was lucky not to be injured on.

Cunningham plays, we score three, he has a hand in 2. Can someone tell me why a top 10 scorer in the league was relegated to 5 minutes a game. I'm just glad Greg remembered that he's the coach, and from that position, it's very easy to get guys more time, as he spoke about in the paper the other day.

2. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Exactly.....MY GOD is it scary when Bob is in there!

Why no Rato when Martino went out? We could have used the quicks and offensive threat. The Metros IGNORED Bob.

3. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Re: Re: Crew v. Metros (R)

Taht's why he takes the PK's..he needs some points.

BTW...after knowing Jeff would be on fire...I broke out the leather. felt good. MOTM...JC

4. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Bailey...notice Dante goes in at the 75th minute. Jeff never saw the field with that much time for a month now.

I say somebody is eating crow...lots of it.

5. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Equal to the PK we received. He was pulled by the jersey...so technically..a PK...but dumb really. Andours was just about as stupid. Made for some fun though

6. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I noticed that too. I'm like just show the match and leave out all that extra crap. I don't need to see a close up of a player every time you talk about him. And what was with showing Mathis doing an interview when the game was going on.

7. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Make my Crow over easy. Great effort by JC and some really nice assist work. He was a motivated MOFO tonight.

8. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Wrong. Remember the bicycle kick by Faria straight at Busch? Came off a free kick which came off Warzycha turning the ball over after dribbling in one spot for 10 seconds instead of PASSING THE BALL!

9. martinmfg

martinmfg New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Miami University, Ohio
    [​IMG] = Rapids suffering their doom

10. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Don't write God over that performance yet. Jeff, Bake and West each had three points in the game sp there really wasn't someone much more outstanding than the next guy. Jeff had a very good game in getting the ball where he needed to get it but being continually dangerous without putting away his chances kept the MetroSucks in the game. Let's see, one of the plays we missed live early on, and was fully shown in the replay at the half, was Jeff faking a shot from close range, getting Howard to dive and then missing the empty net wide left from 6-8 yards out. Then we saw West heeling a pass to Jeff who goes at a sharp angle at Howard only to shank the ball off a cop's head. He then tried to take the baseline and instead of passing back at an angle, he hits it straight at Howard from 2 yards out. So, he ended up converting on his toughest chance of the evening. Go figure!

And by the way, he started with two offside calls against in the first 6 minutes - one off a mistimed run; one because he didn't come back from chasing a deep ball.

Glad we won but, in my book, we won because (a) Oughton's play tonight in the defensive midfield and (b) our midfielders actually making runs and creating chances that opened the defense (Maze twice, Martino on the PK call and West on the goal all made nice runs and got the ball inside the box).

11. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    We were lucky. That was a foul and a PK but Grady forgot his cards tonight. Clark should have gotten a red card with it. And the MetroStars player (Ziadine or Paule?) should have gotten a yellow on the other PK.

12. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    I'm guessing that Warzycha has dirty pictures of Greg! Really, no clue in why Denton or Warzycha saw the pitch today before Garcia was even considered. West is tired; why not put in Garcia for West and keep the MetroStars back with the danger of speed down a wing. And Garcia would have found one of the two forwards on the counter!

13. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    After not calling the shirt pull right in front of him, he had to call something. Two fouls in one is what it takes for us to get a PK; please let Jeff know for future reference.

14. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    It was a chip from Andy and he did reach it. The combination of less height than Presthus, backtracking and no force on the ball didn't give him enough to push the ball over the crossbar. Diallo cleaned up the mess!

15. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Wrong. They waited for him to get the ball so that they could get it back.

16. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    we wernt chanting, really. there were 3 of us. you wouldnt have heard us.

we did have a huge banner, which stadium officials made us take down after 10 minutes.

hmm... what else...

nothing really.

nyc is great. too bad i a.) have no money to spend and b.) dont really want to be that hungover for the drive home tomorow, or else id be out again tonight.

either way...

hell of a goal by cunningham. he was hands down the motm tonight.

mais had an ace run into the box a few times, and showed well.

oughton was good. nice strike too which howard tipped over.

no fucking clue as to why warzycha came in over garcia. warzycha was AWFUL and should never see the pitch again. ever.

busch saved our ass more than a few times.

west was eh. did some good stuff, but still cant cross. he should play in the middle. then again, thats where martino is, and he was very effective.

mcbride, as always, solid.

still upset about not seeing garcia play.

yep.

17. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Wow I gues you had quite a few tonight. Oughton? You have to be joking. You do realize you are totally alone in your ignorance don't you? What is it? You can't stand the fact you 've been wrong about jeff all this time? We wouldn't have won if he sat. Period. Idiot...he had the assist and the goal...where do you not understand that is how you win games?

Not running around with your appendages wildly flying in midfield. Lord. I can't believe I even gve you my time.

18. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    She fits in doesn't she?

19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hell yeah Elizabeth fits in, this is grat ************, I need another drink reading this thread just to toast all the good posts.
    Man am I gonna be embarassed in the morning at thsi ************, but I don't care.
    Busch, yeah his height frightened me a few times, and there was one corner where all the action on the ball was near post and he was stuck at the far post looking like a midget, not good. But overall very solid game.
    West had an okay game, not his best ever by any means. But he scored the winning goal. Beer for West.
    I'm sick of defending Dunseth, every time I think he's playing well he turns around and plays a ************ game. I'm done with defending that beotch.
    Oughton was solid tonight.
    Can someone explain why Mais refuses to shoot in the box. Does he wanna be assist king 2002? I don't get it.
    hey 3-2. not a bad night. i am gonna drink some water now.

20. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was fun. The entire ESCape section was trying to chant at the 3 of us. It was just laughable. There were like 50 of them all saying they knew where our car was parked (which they did). We answered back with a few of our own.... Personal favourite was "We've got Martino, You stole our Stereos"

There were a group of younger crew supporters there as well, and we said hi to Andrulis' sister who was among them (were they all his?) there were maybe 25 other crew supporters spread throughout the stadium. All looked a bit confused when they saw us though.

**** New York.

for all your weather needs check www.mlsnet.com

21. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Dennis, I never once said that Cunningham's performance was the best ever. All I said was that Cunningham was continually dangerous. Did he convert every opportunity? No, but he was involved in numerous legitimate scoring chances. Who knows, maybe Cunningham was a little rusty from his 39 minutes in four match layoff. If I can't be happy with three points from our leading scorer who's been riding pine then I guess I should just stop paying attention to this team.

And, as much as Oughton annoys me, to not give him credit for doing his job last night - consistently breaking up the midfield - is ridiculous. He did exactly what he was asked to do - disrupt MetroStars' midfield play. Whenever Oughton had an opportunity he simply got in the way - mostly through fouling it seemed - but he still got in the way.

22. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cunningham did a nice job tonight. All the credit in the world. And frankly if he had played that way earlier in the season, he probably would have gotten more PT.

Last night he moved the ball, made runs off of one of the best run-of-play forwards around (and I mean anywhere) and got his ass back to the halfway when it was appropriate.

If someone out there wants to suggest this was a typical performance by JC, come on along and tell me about it. I'd be glad to prove you wrong. Some of you apparently have awfully short memories, particularly of the games where Cunningham was simply a black hole: ball in, gone forever.

What he did last night is the way he CAN play, and OUGHT to play. And if he keeps playing that way, I expect he'll be out there a lot more. But the way he was playing earlier in the season, I completely agree with Andrulis' use of him.

(And did anyone else catch the announcers comments about how JC was coming off of a bad quad injury? They were saying how he now looked 100%. First I'd heard of it)

As for Oughton, simply reread FF's comments above and add my name.

And sportsfans: you just saw why "scrappy and quick" doesn't always make up for 6'3" between the pipes.

23. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    Wish I could have seen the game. That's all I have to say.

24. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    La Rata must really be out of shape. You'd think we would have known that beforw we signed the guy. Heck we could have saved our other discovery and traded it for a draft pick, then signed la Rata for next season.

Still trying to figure out why Bob went in. You can't tell me an old Eatern-European can hold the ball better than a young central/south american, even when he's out of shape.

Bring on La Rata. There's no better way to get someone in shape than 90 minutes of running. Plus, it gives rest to others for the upcoming playoffs.

BWG
    Richmond, VA

25. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Garcia is supposed to be our "not so secret" weapon come playoff time. If nobody has seen him play, how will they know how to handle him? Greg figures we'll be in the playoffs somehow, and just has Garcia training to make his breakout then.... Honestly though, I think he will get some time at the Metro USOC game. He better! If the current trend continues, with the road team winning, I figure we have a good chance of winning this one and moving on to the next round.

As for the game last night... one of my major thoughts was that Oughton was going to get his ass a second yellow card and even out the numbers on the field. Also, why the hell didn't we score an empty netter when Howard was up in OUR penalty area trying to punch in the ball off of a corner kick. Anybody else see those red gloves driving up towards the ball? He was so out of position, Busch should have been able to launch a goal kick and set us up for the insurance goal.

I still think Greg is a complete idiot. His last 2 subs were questionable in my mind. I agree that Garcia would have been the better sub going in for West. I'm also surprised at the starting backline.... why Torres, Leitch, Dunseth, & Clark? Denton, since he didn't start, should have been put back there. The OTC (orange traffic cone, as previously mentioned) would have done better than Clark at stopping Marmaduke. However, did anyone else think that maybe Clark was trying to prevent Busch from being steamrolled like M.D. has done to other goalies?