Post-match: Crew v LAFC - 2023 MLS Cup - 12/9/23 4:00 PM

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, Dec 4, 2023.

Tags:
?

What will be the result of the Crew's 12/9/23 match vs LAFC?

Poll closed Dec 9, 2023.
  1. Win by two or more goals in regulation

37.1%
  2. Win by one goal in regulation

45.2%
  3. Win in extra time

8.1%
  4. Win by PKs

1.6%
  5. Lose by PKs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Lose in extra time

1.6%
  7. Lose by one goal in regulation

1.6%
  8. Lose by two or more goals in regulation

3.2%
  9. See results

1.6%
  1. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    40%?!?$?
    What the actual F
    Not much of a home field advantage with that percentage. I’d say roughly a 10% advantage.

2. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Not going fully banana RDT_20231206_2245133740727760408029085.png

3. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last team that wore all black in Columbus for MLS Cup won

4. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I listened to that person from the Columbus Sports Commission. She said 40% were from out of town, not 40% from LA.

cleazer, WhiteHartShame and soccerncbus repped this.
  5. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    What does “out of town” even mean? Canal Winchester? Zanesville? NYC?

6. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can live with that. We’ve won our last two matches in a row in yellow/black/yellow.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard the guys on the MLS Extra Time podcast mention Char Bar by name. IDK if is an official thing or of they are just gonna hang out there.

8. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Looks like they might have removed one of the beverage stands in the SW corner. Guessing the 360 crew will be there. And they have the extra insulation on the field or plastic field protectors

9. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Pretty insulting to call Columbus the biggest small town in the country when it’s the highest populated city in the state and 14th in the US

TRUJDUB21, TKyle, CybrSlydr and 4 others repped this.
  10. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One time, maybe for an ASG or similar, they had some young pop tart called, like, Jojo or something. They said she was going to be the next big thing. Nobody ever heard from her again.

She was dreadful. Anybody else remember her?

11. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're the only team to have two stadiums while others have none. Columbus Crew, blessed with abundance.

Ch(Elsey), TRUJDUB21, CybrSlydr and 2 others repped this.
  12. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone knows that our city's population is a lie. They have annexed and annexed to increase the population numbers. Look at actual metro areas to compare us versus other places.

13. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will have to, because I will have to hear the twatwaffle present the trophy to us. Maybe he will say ColumbusScrew again. Hating someone =/= lack of class, Zippy.

Bill Archer repped this.
  14. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not learn, but Rob loves a good football story now that they are entrenched at Wrexham, and nothing plays better than Save The Crew. This would be Sean Kelly's chance to get it out in front of people who could make shit happen potentially.

Jaybir and TrueCrew repped this.
  15. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jimmy Eat World was nowhere near C list.

I'm surprised they have not approached 21 Pilots.

Oh, as an aside, Toto is playing here Sunday, 4/21/23. We should make a game happen earlier in the day so they can come out and play Africa.

catfish9, TrueCrew and Kryptonite repped this.
  16. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but we used to have Supporters' Summit and all that kind of stuff... is this no longer the case?

17. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't have said it better, and including twatwaffle makes it the perfect response.

Nobody wants to go out of their way to abuse the guy like we used to, but when they put him in the middle of ldc full of 20,000 fans, what should we do - throw flowers?

eboe and CybrSlydr repped this.
  18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #144 Kryptonite, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    There's probably going to be yet another high school for the Olentangy kids before too long. In fact, I believe it's going on the ballot rather soon.

It seems strange to think of Olentangy and Marysville as suburbs, but... I've seen it. I remember when Dublin was a quiet little village. Now they have a wannabe Short North with all sorts of activity. Marysville and Dublin practically butt up against each other...all that farmland is gone.

Jimmy Eat World got big. They and Everclear seemed to be the exception.

Didn't Raven Symone play a Crew game?

21 Pilots seems way too big now.

eboe repped this.
  19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't it merged into the draft along with the college coaches convention for a while?

Nowadays, since a few teams have several thousand in actual, dedicated sections (not like 137, but what we have now)... it's really a relic of a bygone era.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  20. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't the SS originally held at the All Star Game? That was a fun event, but sadly unworkable now with so many teams.

21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'll be too focused on the expectation on the faces of the men about to lift the trophy and excited for the imminent celebration to give one goddamn about who is presenting the trophy to be honest.

MLSinSTL, Ch(Elsey) and chr1st repped this.
  22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, no. Even comparing metros (MSA--there are other Metro measurements like the one that includes Dayton in Cincy), we're no longer small. 32nd there. And more than Cleveland and Indy and only slightly less than Cincy and KC.

23. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    City population isn’t a lie, it’s just irrelevant. As others have noted, Columbus’ metro (MSA) population is now over 2 million, and in recent years we’ve been among the fastest growing “cities” (I.e., metro areas) in the Midwest, forecast to be at 3 million by 2050.

I’d push back a bit re: Cleveland. Unlike Columbus or Cincinnati, Cleveland is in a much more broadly urbanized region, meaning its CSA (combined statistical area) population is considerably larger than ours; the Cleveland/Akron/Canton CSA is the 17th largest in the US.

In any event, MSA is the standard apples-to-apples way of measuring city/metro area size, since it’s a category that’s standardized and defined by the OMB. Columbus is virtually equal with Cincinnati and Kansas City by that measure, but growing faster than both of those metro areas. We’re bigger than Nashville, though its MSA is growing faster than ours. Bigger than San Jose, though like Cleveland, it’s part of a much larger CSA. MUCH bigger than SLC.

Which is a long way of saying that Boehm’s tweet was just kinda dumb, though I doubt he meant it to be a criticism in any way. We’re just - rightly - a bit thin-skinned about this sort of thing. Like seeing us always listed as “Columbus, Ohio.” As if there’s another big city Columbus in the country anyone could possibly confuse us with.

eboe, Pauncho, WhiteHartShame and 5 others repped this.
  24. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We're playing against Los Angeles. I think also for people in the largest cities in the country there is a New York, Chicago, LA, Dallas (maybe) and then everyone else. The fact that Columbus only has an NHL and MLS professional sports franchise and that OSU runs the town contributes to the idea of it being a smaller city. Which, honestly I'm fine with. My wife lived in NYC for a decade, we now live an hour outside NYC and I would never want to live there. Great place to visit, but not my vibe at all. Likewise, Chicago even Philly. Give me cities like Columbus, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Cincy, Buffalo. That's much more my vibe and speed. I took Boehm's comment as a compliment, but maybe that's just cause I don't love big cities.

Regarding the actual match. Is anyone concerned about Camacho and the rest of the back line vs Vela. Cause I sure as hell am.

Jaybir, theshark130, hardhead and 6 others repped this.