Post-match: Crew v. Galaxy 5/29

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Missionary, May 29, 2010.

1. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crew completely dominated but could not finish. All the big guns were in.

2. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Something not brought up in the PBP thread is the lack of Sergio again.

Down 1 needing a goal and Garey gets another call (despite him having no ability to finish unless it's set up on a silver platter). How long until we dump Herrera and use his salary to get a forward to play with GBS who can start and score goals?

3. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be curious to hear what the break down was on the two goals.

4. FC TDG

FC TDG Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, now is it okay to criticize Warzycha for employing Moffat and Carroll in a turnover-machine super-duo and for Lenhart and Garey being favored at striker every single week despite their inability to score? Or should we wait until we get dumped out of the playoffs by a lesser team again?

5. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glaxay had 3 shots and finished 2 of them.

6. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that EVERYONE has seen our weakness (finishing) maybe Robert will do something about it.

7. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Don't know where you've been but people have been critical of these things all season. I thought BC played a much better game this week but Moffat continued to play bad and only provide errant off target shots from the parking lot all match.

8. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only added thing he could do tonight was bring in Herrera.

9. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    (Cue someone to come in with that stat that we were the top scoring team coming into tonight).

I'm sure if you take out the PK goals the Crew would probably be close to the bottom/middle of the pack in scoring.

Not having 2 forwards who can provide scoring is seriously hurting the Crew and will eventually catch up to them (like it did tonight). The Crew can't keep counting on lucky breaks to get them through the entire season.

10. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    There is no way he could be as worse as Garey...should at least give him a run out.

11. zemp68

zemp68 Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Maine
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lenhart has to go. He scores that gilt edge opportunity in the first half it's a different game.

12. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'm disappointed we lost, Galaxy deserve the win. Great defense and converted their chances. I think we gave up after Garey's goal was called offside. I didn't see our guys sprint to the ball after that, just a quick jog. We know what we need to do to get better, and if Robert is the right coach, then he can get this team to work on its problems: Linking better passes, finishing and benching Robbie, Moffat, and Lenny.

13. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Andy Iro, Adam Moffatt, and Robbie Rogers never again donned a yellow shirt... I would die a happy man. :mad:

14. socrfan1

socrfan1 New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    How many games has the Crew won by the skin of their teeth? They don't play decisive games. They don't put their opponent or the game away. Luck will only get you so far.

15. cbus3

cbus3 Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 9, 2009
    Paxdecke
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CUT or BENCH:

ADAM MOFFAT <---***
    Andy Iro
    Will Hesmer
    Robbie Rogers

KEEP:
    Gaven
    Marshall
    Guille

GET:
    New keeper,
    New SCORER
    Another, better Center Mid

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think I'm going away until the adrenaline wears off you guys.

We just dominated by far the best team in the league besides us, and their D and luck held out and you all are hyperventilating like little kids throwing a tantrum.

Go read the gals forum... they have a better grip on reality than you guys..
    AND..
    Great D, but MORE luck.

17. Midfiel-duh

Midfiel-duh New Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do not play well and that was evidenced again tonight. In the first half, it looked like a bunch of guys that have never played together. Guille was outstanding tonight but no one could take advantage.

(I also agree that Moffat & Rogers should sit. Brunner should have started in place of Iro.)

18. galaxy500

galaxy500 Member

Jan 21, 2010
    LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    having a little luck along with having some greatness is a scary thing.

GBS is a damn playmaker! I literally cursed each time he had the ball. He just creates all kinds of chances. Anyways, good game. See ya in LA.

19. FC TDG

FC TDG Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, where I've been people have been looked down upon these past few weeks for criticizing Warzycha because, despite the poor play, we were undefeated. Well, not only are we now not undefeated, but we failed to protect our home turf, and took a crucial blow to our SS hopes. And hell, if we lose 2-0 at home to the Gals when they're without Donovan and Buddle, I can hardly imagine what they'll do to us at the HDC with those players.
    Well gosh, I hope we can avoid dominating to the tune of a 0-2 loss in the future. :rolleyes:

We come across this conundrum often in soccer. Being an Arsenal fan, I see it a lot, and we all witnessed it when Inter and Barca clashed in the CL this year. Having a ton of possession/shots/corners does not mean you've dominated the other team... and it certainly doesn't mean you'll get the result.

20. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    you didn't give him any credit for the wins so don't blame him now.

this game is what we have done to other teams on the road.

got a taste of our own medicine tonight.

i'm thinking about swallowing a bunch of pills.

21. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Actually, I was at the game with my son and at half-time we said he should take out Zayner and Lenhart for Ekpo and Renteria. Zayner was killing every attack on the right side and Lenhart was missing chance after chance. So he stuck to his lineup and then goes and takes out PADULA instead of Zayner.

22. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    never mind, you should swallow all the pills.

23. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Actually, we were the better team out there and all the stats except the important ones show it.

Keys tonight:

• Galaxy has one early chance and cash in. That allows them to sit back and absorb and counter. The second score was the late turnover that gave them a 2v1 break when we were throwing the house at them.
    • Lenhart missing chance after chance. We need someone with a higher hit ratio. Granted he had a great header that Ricketts tipped over but he "kneed" or something another one over that he needs to finish. He also tried two headers from top of the box - who knows why. Warzycha needed to get him out at the half for Renteria or Herrera.
    • Zayner killed every attack on the right side. Most of the attacks on the right side that were in the final third ended with a pass back to Marshall or Carroll (which is like a pass back to Marshall). At one point we went all the way back to Hesmer. Son, you need to cross the ball in once in a while.
    • Someone please spin Carroll so that he once in a while completes a forward pass. He's even afraid of his own shadow and passes the ball back.
    • Rogers was dangerous except when he dribbled the ball off his foot three times.
    • Offside, and offside followed by more offside. Icing on the cake: dumb offside. Iro has a shot from six and Garey, who started the play two yards offside, decides to get in the way and "steal" a goal. Wow!

I think we should have switched to a 3-5-2 like this one. LA was not posing a danger and we played 55-60 minutes with an extra defender for nothing.

[LINEUP-3-5-2]Renteria, Gaven, Rogers, Carroll, Guille, Moffat, Ekpo, Padula, Marshall, Iro, Hesmer[/LINEUP-3-5-2]

Bring in Herrera at the 70 minute mark for Moffat or Carroll and move him on top with Renteria with Gaven and Guille roaming the middle and Rogers with Ekpo wide.

24. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    You are not impressed by Rogers trapping the ball out of bounds three times and whipping crosses into the area without looking up to see what's happening there? I'm just happy that Rogers didn't have to take on the Gatorade bottle that a Los Angeles player didn't quite throw off the field. I think the Gatorade bottle tackles the ball away from Rogers while Rogers end up on the ground looking to the ref for a foul.

1 person likes this.
  25. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    Bottom line Lenhart needs to be sent back to super sub status. He had a couple of chances to put us on the board and simply blew it. And how does he ever get away with coming up short on a wide open header and the look back at Guille and call him out like its Guille's fault that Lenhart is slow.

The first goal, how do you leave a guy that wide open. The second goal Chris Klein beats you down the sideline, Chris Klein - really.

We let a game that we easily could have and should have won slip through our fingers.

I FRAKIN' hate Bruce Arena.