Crew Union Minutes

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by crewunion, Jul 14, 2005.

1. crewunion

crewunion New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    sorry these are late!

Crew Union Minutes: 6-29-05

1. Newsletter –
    John will add an injury report section with information from the Crew’s trainers.
    Mike Lapper will coordinate our Top 10 and Top 20 player information.

2. Retention/Recruitment-
    The cut-off for the renewals is July 31, 2005.
    John and Rick are writing a PR announcement for the games and for radio about membership in the fan club.

3.Regarding email – Reminder
    If you have changed your email please send us your new one or the one you mostly use to fanclub@thecrew.com. We want to make sure everyone is receiving the Crew Union emails.

4. Meetings –
    The next one will be Thursday, July 21, 2005, because of the home game 7/20 and the game against Fulham 7/27 (and it’s MLS All-Star week).
    Players will be on hand to answer any questions that the members have. This will also give the guys an opportunity to meet some of the people who help support them and the organization.

5. Wyandotte Lake season ticket holder event 8/21-
    We want to have an information table about the club since there will be a lot of people attending this.

6. Marketing Ideas-
    Heather and Sue are going to meet with Rob Grady about other marketing ideas and where the fan club “fits” with the Crew’s other outreach programs.

7. Away Trips-
    We didn’t get enough support for the 7/16 trip to Chicago, but people are planning to carpool. If interested please email fanclub@thecrew.com and we could get you the people who will be going. Update: The Crew is sponsoring a bus trip; call Shayla Collins @ 447-4151 for details.
    The next trips that we are aiming for are a Chicago trip on 10/8 and a DC trip on 10/15. If you are interested please email fanclub@thecrew.com so we can start making plans for these trips. We are aiming for at least 50 people so the cost of the bus will be cheaper. The price ($150 - $200) will include a ticket to the game and will be discounted for Crew Union members.

2. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Now that it includes a ticket for the game it is a bargain. That bus had better have all the bells and whistles. And a free bar.

3. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe these folks still think they provide a viable service to Crew fans. It's rather silly and the fact that they come on here and publish all this crap about a bus trip and the outrageous costs is just rediculous.

Who the hell is going to pay 150-200 for a bus trip and then you want to do 2 trips on 2 adjacent weekends? Are you nucking futs? You're not going to get enough seperate people for each trip to fill a bus, so you'd probably have to depend on some fans going both weekends. Maybe you'll get that if you charge $40 a trip. That should cover you $15 ticket and $25 a head for a bus (25*50=$1250). If the busses cost more then this, then the Crew Union should be using their bankroll to cover that. That's why you charge people membership fees. That's why your the "official" club sponsored fan club.

Have you guys created your own mascot yet? You should really get on that so you can draw in the kids and their soccer moms & dads. :rolleyes:

4. krs-two

krs-two Member

Jan 22, 2001
    Columbus
    Please tell me that this is some kind of joke and someone trying to make Crew Union look even more incompetent than they are (no small feat I should add).

Reading through these "minutes" was one big laugh. I can fly round-trip to DC or Chicago and get a match ticket for less than what they're offering....ridiculous....

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For $150 - $200, I have the feeling they're talking about getting a few hotel rooms.

6. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus
    anyone else find this statement kind of funny?

7. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that was pretty funny. When a few of us went to DC we paid $92 for a round trip PLANE ticket! That price has got to be for both or it's going to have to be $600 because there are only going to be 4 people on the bus including the driver.

8. futballpunk

futballpunk New Member

Aug 22, 2003
    Temperance, MI
    I thought I remember reading on the MN boards that the bus for the 7/16 chicago trip was full, with over 50 people going. Is that a different group, or is somebody spreading misinformation?

9. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Most definitey. Maybe if more than 10 people actually knew who the Crew Union were and what they do, they could fill that bus, seeing as those hardcores here and their friends managed to get one sorted.

Keep in mind though these minutes are sorta old. Still, if any of you actually heard of the Crew Union starting up a bus when they tried, I'd die of surprise.

10. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus
    It is two different groups. If you go to the Crew's homepage then click on Fans, they can tell you about Crew Union or the supporter sections. The supporter sections are the one that got this trip going.

11. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    So, just like in the north end, there are competing groups which might not be on the same page? I had no idea Crew Union was even trying to organize a bus trip. However, I'm not a Crew Union member so maybe that bus trip information was in a super-secret e-mail message that required the use of the Ovaltine decoder ring.

If I were to pay $150-$200 for a bus trip, it sure as hell better include a lovely co-ed servicing me on the way.

12. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus
    I didn't know anything about a CU trip either until I was told by a member after it had already been dropped for lack of interest.

13. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Man, Crew Union is really stepping up, aren't they?

14. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus
    I would say so. I'm curious, does anyone know why they posted their minutes on here? I thought that all stayed in house with their e-mail list and stuff. I could be wrong though.

15. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crew Union, soon to be appearing in a Joe Cartoon next to the Frog in a Blender...

16. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. If you can't get RT to Midway, split a cab to Soldier Field, have a nice dinner and grab a redeye home for under $200, you're not really trying. Unless you'd rather spend seven hours in a smelly Charter Bus driven by a homeless person as you pass the time playing pinochle and eating tuna sandwiches with Peter and The Trophy Hag.

17. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crew Union is pathetic with their "attempt" to organize a bus trip to Chicago this weekend. I got an email from the "leader" of Crew Union a few weeks ago telling me how they had little general interest from their membership of going on a trip to Chicago. Therefore, they weren't going to purchase a bus.

Then, a few days later, I simply email McCullers and ask for monetary help with the bus, and bam, it's ordered. The rest (as you'll see from the bus trip thread at the top of the board) is history. We have a bus, and it is filled.

Wow, I almost broke a sweat organizing this trip, Crew Union. But, yet, sadly that's a lot more than you all did to make it happen.

18. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus
    How many were on our waiting list? I think last I heard atleast 15 or so. This is going to be a great trip.

19. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's too bad we couldn't get a 2nd bus for this trip. Damn would that show up those fools. Anyway, I don't want to "kick them while they're down" as that's too easy and would just point me out as another "classless" fan who is just simply an "idiot", right Craig?

I'm just glad that we have a bus trip. I know it's a bit different this time, since there is a double header, but I really hope that this will inspire future roadies by Crew fans to at least Chicago twice a season and maybe DC as well. I would love to be able to see Crew support grow from these kinds of fun activities.

20. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not as organized as this Chicago trip, but myself and 3 others are going to the August 14th game MetroStars, just before we continue east to Hartford for the U.S./T&T qualifier on the 17th. If any of you will be out there, let's plan to setup a pre-game tailgate/get together...

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why would someone who's not Crew Union (me) go on a Crew Union bus? Especially when it seemed to be Union-exclusive? They didn't seem to promote it to non Crew Union, did they?

At the current moment, I have no interest in joining the group, I've never been a member of the group, and I don't see myself joining the group unless they bring about major changes such as delivering their promises. (IE - more stuff than a tailgate, a relatively pointless credential and a t-shirt for $20 a year.)

Second of all, why is everyone assuming i'm going on a bus trip? I haven't been on a Crew road trip since 1998 to Chicago, and if I go on another one, it would most likely be to some city where I haven't seen a game (NY or DC, possibly even Boston.) Besides, that road trip was a Crew loss, so at 0-1, maybe i'm bad karma. And having to drive home at 4 AM from Crew Stadium after being on a bus for the past 6 hours really doesn't seem appealing.

Third of all, i'm not quite fond of tuna sandwiches. Better luck next time.

22. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Well, now that's settled...

23. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will refrain from commenting on anything Crew Union.

That is what I have given up to the soccer gods for firing Andrulis.

24. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    All I want for christmas is to see the Crew Union ledger. Call it morbid curiousity. With over 200 dues paying members, I can't imagine what all the cash is being used for. Surely the overhead wasn't high enough to eat all of the dues.

25. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I think Crew Union members should get a minor refund since this injury information is generally available in about 5,839 different places.