Crew Stadium 2.0 - Construction News and Notes

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by LaMacchia, Oct 6, 2019.

1. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would they want/need to track them? It's actually not uncommon to have deer in/very near major cities. As long as there is food,water and some place for them to bed down they'll adapt. Olemntangy River corridor had lots of deer. But that particular location near Crew stadium is very limited in everything except water. I'm just curious where he may roam to. He could head south or west fairly easily.

I've seen deer all over the city. I was eating at HCT in Clintonville and saw nice buck crossing the road across street headed toward Watterson. There is a nice patch of woods in that area that likely supports up to 10 plus deer. The one place I saw one that likely didn't end well soon thereafter was I was wrapping from 670 up onto 71. A doe crossed ramp in front of me headed toward 71 on dead sprint. Once she got to 71 there was no place for her to go on other side as there is a wall there and a bridge.

In PA there was a state record buck shot in city limits of Pittsburgh.

Kryptonite repped this.
  2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My property is lousy with deer. Leptospirosis and giardia foe the dogs and deer ticks which carry Lyme disease.

I hate the filthy beasts.

TKyle repped this.
  3. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But damn are they tasty! Except those with CWD.

russ repped this.
  4. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is CWD venison unsafe or just not particularly flavorful?

5. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Probably flavorful, but you may end up dead.

MLSinCleveland, TKyle and Bill Archer repped this.
  6. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Matt Bernhardt:

One million combined attendance at LDC
    I realize that making too much of announced attendance is a risky endeavor. But I can't help myself at times.

Looking over the announced attendances in the new stadium this morning, I realized that the one millionth fan in LDC history1 will enter the stadium next season.

The data:

Year League games League attendance All games Overall attendance
    2021 13 240,794 14 294,9442
    2022 17 326,756 17 326,756
    2023 17 345,3383 234 448,6634
    Total 47 912,888 54 1,070,363
    If we assume that the sellout streak will continue into next season, the one millionth fan (for league games) will come through the gates in the fifth home game in 2024.

If we're counting all Crew games in stadium history, then the mark was passed during the first playoff game against Atlanta. The league finale this year ended with a cumulative attendance of 993,881.

As a comparison, HCS made it to one million fans in the final game of its fourth season (if you count league games only - it happened somewhere in the middle of that season if you include all games)

https://www.reddit.com/user/bernhardtsoccer/

7. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well since it stands for Chronic Wasting Disease, you can simply imagine there isn't likely much meat to eat. Actually it affects the brain but that leads to lack of eating and other affects. But no you should not eat the meat even though it is not believed that doing so will spread CWD to humans. I'd personally just avoid that risk.

russ, MLSinCleveland and CybrSlydr repped this.
  8. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo. Prions are ********y little things we know terrifyingly little about.

9. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CWD is caused by a prion, which is an “infectious” protein which causes other proteins to conform to its structure. The CWD prion is very similar to the one that causes Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (“Mad Cow Disease”), “scrapie” in sheep, and Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease (CJD) in humans. Transmission to humans usually occurs through consumption of affected nervous tissue, mainly the central nervous system (brain, spinal cord, and associated fluids).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_wasting_disease

I wouldn’t eat venison from a deer with CWD, and as a general rule, “don’t eat brains from ruminants.”

russ, stanger, WhiteHartShame and 5 others repped this.
  10. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was avoiding the dissertation on Prions - thought maybe that'd take this thread too much further off course. But leave it to the intellectually gifted on this board to chime in - thanks fellas.

russ, stanger, kgilbert78 and 3 others repped this.
  11. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    stanger and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  12. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Pretty exciting for me. It's about 5 minutes from my house and I basically grew up out there playing soccer and baseball. It was quite common for our family to be at NCAA 6 days a week between me and my brothers. I can still smell the nicotine that stuck to the walls of Stan's Diner down at the corner of Rt 3 and Morse from eating there after games.

Bill Archer and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  13. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember playing soccer there back in the 1980's.

DrunkandDisorderly repped this.
  14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Using the HCS facility for that was always going to be problematic as the State controls that property. What they ended up getting (the training center etc.) was still pretty good, all things considered. And the new facility is not that far north of Linden (I used to live in Linden), so it meets most of the community needs.

russ and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  15. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Bush has written about it some:

12/09/22: No mention of Columbus sports park in new Ohio state fairgrounds master plan
    10/19/23: Ginther's Plan B sports park moving forward after state snub at former Columbus Crew home

16. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He waits until the very end to toss some shade at the Crew. The only problem is that the sentence is ridiculous:

The Dispatch reported in 2020 that city and county officials had not requested or received any details about how the team — acting as developer — spent around $150 million in public funds to build the stadium, and there is no way to verify that statement.

Huh?

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still want to know what "public funds" they used. I'm sure some were used for things like the pedestrian bridge, which are, you know, open to the public 24/7, but let's not let facts get in the way of a good argument.

Someone had to pay to build the new drainage ditch at the fairgrounds lot, but once again, that's a public thing, is it not?

MLSinCleveland and Minnman repped this.
  18. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, what percentage of people would read "$150 million in public funds to build the stadium" and understand that $0 in public funds were used to the build the actual stadium?

In Bush's world, the parking garage that serves the entire Astor Park development and nearby Arena District is only ever used for Crew games. Or the pedestrian bridge, which had its funding approved before anyone ever pitched the idea of stadium for the Crew in the AD, was really only built for the team (and, again, evidentially, only every used by Crew fans going to games). Or the need to upgrade sewer infrastructure was only due to the stadium being built in the area, and evidently people who live and work at Astor Park or in the new commercial and residential developments on Neil Ave (like the Chipotle HQ) never flush a toilet or take a shower. Or that, hell, the entire western extension of the Arena District would have been perfectly okay with developers had the city not been willing to bury power lines and do greenscape work that made the place look less like a brownfield site. Or that it really wasn't necessary to build actual, paved roads in Astor Park, was it?

What a dick.

19. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Counting on a Chipotle anything to not need to flush toilets is not a sign of intelligence.

20. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's play I spy....

[​IMG]

Rendering of the Gravity Experience Park in Franklinton. Love the subtle nod.

22. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let’s talk about LDC vs TQL. It was my first time there last night. I think the outside is beautiful, love the lights. The stairs to the landing is very European, meaning it’s boring, absolutely nothing there.

Inside… sigh… somehow, despite having 4,000 more seats, and a noticeably larger footprint overall, TQL’s concourse and bathroom situation is an abomination. Who the fvck designed this shit? Concourses are tighter than LDC. Insanity. And there are far fewer bathrooms. I only used one of them, but it only had 5 urinals and 3 stalls. 8 was places to piss. LDC bathrooms have 20ish? Smaller bathrooms, fewer bathrooms. The lines were insane. Guy next to me left right at the end of the second half, came back at 12:00 of the first extra time period. 17 minutes, and he said it would’ve been longer but he walked past the crazy line near us and walked literally to the complete opposite side of the stadium. I tried to go around the 60th minute, line was longer than pregame. I went after the trophy celebration, still a line. WTF?

Now, in our seats, views are great, the interior looks amazing. The sound system is terrible though. I couldn’t understand a damn thing anyone was saying, super muddled, and I had speakers aimed directly at me.

The pregame videos and whatnot were corny as hell. JV compared to what the Crew does.

Overall, while I like the exterior look of TQL better, the match day experience at LDC is far superior.

23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So as @TKyle and I are coming back to Columbus, we realized that Africa was playing on the radio. On a Cincy station.:D

Kryptonite, stanger, TKyle and 2 others repped this.
  24. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few thoughts:

SMALLER concourses than LDC? Is this a stadium or escape room?

I don't understand how the sound system can be that bad in a new stadium.

Keep in mind re: the Crew's video production that they have access to a soundstage, either the Browns' in Berea or possibly they built their own at the Fairgrounds.

25. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) i have bathrooms at my work (note: I don’t work in a building with a capacity of 25,000 people) that are as big as the ones at TQL. Not a joke.

2) you can have the world’s best TV, if you mess up the picture settings though (or be one of those savages that watches on “vivid” mode) then it will look like ass.

3) cool, not sure what that has to do with editing, cinematography, writing, etc though.

They had a light up cincy thing, where through the fcc app you can sync your phone and be part of the show. I thought it might be interesting, but instead it was super lame, just flashing white here and there.

Their match day experience and video teams are an inch wide and an inch deep, approximately the same square footage as their bathrooms.

MLSinCleveland repped this.